Best places to eat in Nassau and Grand Bahama Island?

sailfish1

We are cruising on NCL Majesty March 28th to Nassau, Grand Bahama Island, NCL private island, and Coco Beach. Does anyone have recomendations for great seafood, continental resturants, at these stops???+

Not the private island lol.

We love great seafood, fresh fish, lobster etc.

Any replys and recomendations would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Sailfish1

In Nassau, a great place for excellent seafood and native cuisine is Twin Brothers restuarant on Arawak Cay. It's a short bus ride from downtown, which is were your ship will dock. Just ask anyone for the Cable Beach bus stop and tell the driver you would like to go to the Fish Fry. On Grand Bahama Island, any of the restaurants in the Port Lucaya Marketplace would be a good choice. My favorites are Zorbas and Le Med.

We had planned to go to Twin Brothers on Arawak Cay, but our stingray excursion got switched from the morning to the afternoon, so we felt like we'd run out of time to make it there and back on time.

So we just wandered around downtown and came across Pepper Pot Grill, on a very quiet street. I'd vaguely remembered reading this name before, either on a website or in a travel guide, so we decided to try it. We literally had the entire restaurant to ourselves, which scared us at first, but man, were people missing out!

HANDS DOWN the best meal we had during the entire cruise. SOOOOOO good. We both had the codfish and ackee special and it was delicious.

We did something a little different!

We took a tour with Otis (great Tour guide) and the last stop is the Atlantis, we asked him to let us there (instead of going back downtown), and we looked around for a bit, then we walked accross the bridge, that was cool, great view and right at the end of the bridge, there are a ton of little restaurants, well not really restaurants, little shacks, with a counter and they make conch salad and fritters right there in front of you. They get the conch right off the water, it is amazing!

There are about 20 of them or so, but we went to TALL BOY and it was GREAT!!!

Then we took a taxi back to downtown area!!

We took a cab to the beach right next to Atlantis (sorry can’t remember the name: Cable/Cabbage?). The cab driver pointed to a run-down shack right in the middle of the parking lot, “best food on the island” he said. Well the whole day people were lined up there 20 deep. Locals and tourists. Never did get to try it, the scrawny dog laying in the dirt kind of put me off. :D

Cheryl

right at the end of the bridge, there are a ton of little restaurants, well not really restaurants, little shacks, with a counter and they make conch salad and fritters right there in front of you. They get the conch right off the water, it is amazing!

There are about 20 of them or so, but we went to TALL BOY and it was GREAT!!!Then we took a taxi back to downtown area!!

This is where I always go! Under the bridge from Paradise Island... great, fresh food. They have the FRESH conch right there stored in the water... I go crazy... conch salad, conch fritters, I think it is called scored conch and lobster... all kinds of stuff. I second this vote!

Nassua -Take number 10 bus to Fish fry. Catch the bus in front of the straw market. DO NOT take a cab. The bus is only 1.00 each way and they run non stop (about every 5 minutes one goes by). My favorite at the fish fry is Goldies King of Conk. Best food on the island and incredibly cheap.

Why not eat on ship? Did anyone ever think eating in some of these places may be where the "noro virus" begins? I am sure they do not have the same health standards as in the U. S.

I think if you walked back in any kitchen USA you would sing a different tune. Ever see the show kitchen nightmares? When I was younger I worked for a short time repairing restaurant equipment and I tell you it was a scary eye opening experience. The fish fry they prepare the conk right in front of you, so what you see is what you get. I think one of the best cruise experiences is trying food from various islands/countries.

Why not eat on ship? Did anyone ever think eating in some of these places may be where the "noro virus" begins? I am sure they do not have the same health standards as in the U. S.

How does it get from there to college campuses and schools? Ohhh, maybe those kids were all on a cruise to the Bahamas as well.

Traveled and eaten around alot, some places had dirt floors and no electricity. The only time that I ever had food poisoning was from a 4 star restaraunt in Naples FL.

My favorite Bahamas meal has been at the British Colonial Hilton in Nassau, a simple club sandwich and daquiri served to me on the beach by the cabana boy. Pretty view of the water and you get to lounge under an umbrella.

I think one of the best cruise experiences is trying food from various islands/countries.

I agree. It's one of the reasons why I take more land-based vacations than cruises. I LOVE experiencing the local cuisine and while I can still do that on a cruise, I pretty much only get that at lunch on port days, and that cuts down on a lot of local cuisine opportunities.

I could never travel to a foreign country without eating in a local restaurant. I don't care that lunch on the ship is included. Waste of an opportunity, in my opinion.

When we were on Sky last summer, the crew were all excited about going to have fresh conch. Don't remember the name of the place:o, but ask your waiter or room stewards where they go.

They go exactly where I and about 10 other posters on this thread have stated. The Fish Fry. Fishermen come in and drop the catch of the day in a small cove and when conk is ordered they go to the cove and dip the conk shells out of the water, prepare it and serve it. You can not get any more fresh than this.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived