Celebrity Solstice 3/7/10: Atlantis Cruise

philamike

Cruisin, were you part of the group from Boston with the green t-shirts at the Welcome party?

No I wasn't and every person who said they were from Boston I have never met before! LOL Shows you how often I get down to Beantown proper!! :) I'm up by way of Lowell. I say Boston because no one knows where Lowell is!!!

I see you are signed up for March 2010 too? I think with the Oasis cruise in 2011 there still will be a March cruise but it may be scaled back but then again it depends on the ship Rich books too. The Solstice class is very elegant. I'm sure it will be a sell out each year (unless the economy tanks more) but the Oasis is just too big of a ship. If he fills that he may opt not to do a March one.

I also wonder if people going on gay group cruises are eroding at the all-gay market? I have looked ahead at the cruises open to the public and with the exception of next year's Solstice which is selling very nicely from the looks of it and the Sydney cruise a lot of the others still have availability in several categories. I don't know if the site hasn't been updated in a while or what?? I don't think going bigger is better. Solstice class is big enough. The Epic is even larger but not as big as Oasis. It would take forever to get around the Oasis and I have long legs... hmm... time will tell!

No I wasn't and every person who said they were from Boston I have never met before! LOL Shows you how often I get down to Beantown proper!! :) I'm up by way of Lowell. I say Boston because no one knows where Lowell is!!!

I see you are signed up for March 2010 too? I think with the Oasis cruise in 2011 there still will be a March cruise but it may be scaled back but then again it depends on the ship Rich books too. The Solstice class is very elegant. I'm sure it will be a sell out each year (unless the economy tanks more) but the Oasis is just too big of a ship. If he fills that he may opt not to do a March one.

I also wonder if people going on gay group cruises are eroding at the all-gay market? I have looked ahead at the cruises open to the public and with the exception of next year's Solstice which is selling very nicely from the looks of it and the Sydney cruise a lot of the others still have availability in several categories. I don't know if the site hasn't been updated in a while or what?? I don't think going bigger is better. Solstice class is big enough. The Epic is even larger but not as big as Oasis. It would take forever to get around the Oasis and I have long legs... hmm... time will tell!

I wondered where you could see that the Solstice for next year was filling since I hadn't seen the online listing yet. I think all cruises in general are down this year because of the economy and people saving up because they're afraid of losing their jobs. I think as things get better, people will start to rebook.

I don't think the gay group market with have any big effect on the gay cruise market. If you've been on an Atlantis cruise you know what to expect and I think you are a bit surprised when you are on a mainstream cruise. Now that the gay ghettos are dimishing and people are being 'mainstreamed" I think going on an all gay cruise is an outlet for a week.

The one thing I do experience on the Atlantis cruises is the feeling I'm living in a bubble here in Massachusetts (although that bubble is expanding to include CT, Iowa and now VT) When you're treated equally it's really hard to go places where people treat you like second class citizens.

BostonBud - I got that information from looking at the deck plans that had rooms available when you did the Atlantis future cruise sign up. They had the schematic of decks blown up on the table and if the room had a dash through it - it was taken. There were a lot of booked rooms on the March 2010 sailing which was nice to see a lot of people repeating the cruise so there will be familiar faces in 2010. I know that the group of Philly / DC boys that I met are doing the cruise again and are actually taking a larger block of rooms this time. I might switch my interior guarantee booking into one of their cabins as the time gets closer and I know what is going on with school. We'll see where life goes!!! :)

I don't mind mainstream cruises at all. I have never had hostility directed at me because of my sexual orientation at any port of call. I have always been cordial to people everywhere - even at places that are known to be unfriendly. I am sailing to BDA again this year and they are so naive there that when I asked a local at a bar where, if any, underground gay bars they have and she said there weren't any gay people on the island. Ha ha! How's that?? :D I don't mind it though but living in a bubble on an Atlantis cruise is something else. You are in gay festival overdrive and it's such a culture shock to come back to reality. It'd been so long that I had forgotten the shock at the end when you are at the airport and people are staring and all that and coming back to reality (since I work in a predominently women workplace).

I do prefer mainstream over Atlantis though because at least a mainstream cruise I do come back and feel relaxed. On Atlantis I feel compelled to be on the run all the time because I could miss something!! The morning is for sleeping and the day starts at 1PM with Atlantis!! :eek::D I am going on my 10th hetero cruise next month and already have two in the pipeline for next year outside of this one with Atlantis!

Congrats to VT today though.. it's about time! I was in college up there for two years when civil unions came through. Not a good time to be gay in VT!!! The rednecks were having a hissy (to say the least)!!! :eek:

I also wonder if people going on gay group cruises are eroding at the all-gay market? I have looked ahead at the cruises open to the public and with the exception of next year's Solstice which is selling very nicely from the looks of it and the Sydney cruise a lot of the others still have availability in several categories. I don't know if the site hasn't been updated in a while or what??

I think the reason the Baltic and Med cruises aren't selling well is basically the current economy, rather than any downward shift in all-gay vacations. Every travel sector is hurting this year (which also means fantastic mainstream travel deals for those who *can* travel!).

Last week, Atlantis took the unusual step of lowering most prices for the Baltic cruise, between $100 and $300 per person. Because of their price guarantee, they have to refund the price difference for anyone who is booked in those cabin categories (or the guest can opt for an upgrade). This is a more drastic step than what Atlantis did for the January Freedom cruise -- they added a lower-priced "Guarantee" fare that would guarantee a specific cabin type, to be assigned at check-in.

I've seen a few news articles recently about how travel suppliers are targeting gays in this down economy, because supposedly we still have money to spend and no kids to feed. These travel suppliers aren't aware that research has already debunked the "gay wealth" myth...

- Mike :-)

I've seen a few news articles recently about how travel suppliers are targeting gays in this down economy, because supposedly we still have money to spend and no kids to feed. These travel suppliers aren't aware that research has already debunked the "gay wealth" myth...

- Mike :-)

Mike - I do agree that the economy is playing with the travel industry. I am fortunate that I am taking advantage of the savings in the hetero cruise market and booking as many vacations as my schedule allows. It's interesting to hear of the price reduction on the Atlantis sailing. I would love to go but the summer is a black out period for me and I have to stay locally with no vacation time but at least the weather is warmer!! :)

As for our supposed wealth. I am not wealthy!! I do have money to spend and do so wisely so if there is a good deal then I'm gone - only if it's a cruise! ;)

Time will tell. Mike, check your inbox. :)

Thank you for the port info.

To the guy asking about January vs. March... January is definitely a bigger party/circuit cruise. This year a lot of those guys who go every year booked the March/Solstice just to try out the brand new ship, but it sounds like most are reverting back to January next year. I would assume that the Solstice will be a little bit more relaxed in 2010. Just FYI the October/Mexico cruise out of LA seems to me to be the perfect blend of all of the above. :D

Would agree with all of that. Mex Riv is indeed a good mix of partiers and more relaxed folks. From those on the recent Asia cruise who spoke of the Solstice, they couldn't stop bragging about it. Sounds like an amazing ship

Would agree with all of that. Mex Riv is indeed a good mix of partiers and more relaxed folks. From those on the recent Asia cruise who spoke of the Solstice, they couldn't stop bragging about it. Sounds like an amazing ship

Were you aboard the Asian cruise? Did they have the typical sign-up for future Atlantis cruises and if so did anyone? We just rebooked our room for the Solstice by filling out the paper in the room so we didn't get to see the deck layout and if many of the cabins were filling up. We wandered up there and there was a long line for the 2010 Solstice trip and hardly anyone booking any other cruise.

Guys-

This link is up, it's just not posted on the main page:

http://www.atlantisevents.com/cruises_2010_solstice_pricing.aspx

Boston- Every year the West Coast cruise has been either on the Serenade or Radiance of the Seas (slightly smaller than Solstice). It has always had a great mixed party and laid back crowd. This year it will be on the much larger Mariner of the Seas, so I don't know how it will be affected. That ship's almost as large as Liberty. Personally, I hope for a fun party crowd like we have every year with less attitude than Liberty. See you in just about 6 months!

Oh, also... You guys are talking as if Oasis of the Seas is a sure thing in 2011. Is that for sure? I heard they were considering it for 2012. Thanks, D

Dave - Thanks for the link! As for the Oasis, Rich said that it would be something he's talking with RCI about for 2011. The ship will be too new to do a charter successfully he feels on it in 2010 in January. The ship will have only sailed a few times and Rich said during the "Ask Atlantis Anything" meeting that he felt it was better to wait off on it until 2011. I think he's definitely going to charter it though but it's not concrete yet. I think a lot of it is waiting to see what the economy does and the demand (or hit) he takes on the sailings this year. :cool:

I found it kinda strange that this cruise was still listed on Celebrity's site. But once I looked a lil closer, I found this:

Departure Dates Mar 07- 14, 2010

Inside Ocean View Veranda Suite

SOLD OUT SOLD OUT SOLD OUT SOLD OUT SOLD OUT

:p

I really hope he charters the Norwegian Epic for 2012. :D

I thought I read somewhere (it could have been on the Atlantic Alumni site) that Atlantis had seen the deck plans for the Epic and did not plan on booking it.

I thought I read somewhere (it could have been on the Atlantic Alumni site) that Atlantis had seen the deck plans for the Epic and did not plan on booking it.

That would have been me who posted that there based on what Rich said during the Ask Atlantis session. I'm hoping he changes his mind, especially if he gets enough inquiries from the gay clientele he serves!! :D

Mike - I got your email but at work we're not allowed onto mail sites (blocked) so I haven't been able to respond. Should be able to type by the weekend. - Jake

Thanks, Jake! At least they don't block the important sites, like CruiseCritic! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I have some friends who've been on one all-gay cruise before, and they're thinking of going on this one, and if they do, they're asking friends to join them (and I'm one of the invitees). My partner isn't interested, so I'll just see if we all go, and then see if anyone else in my friends' group (they're in Boston, I'm in Chicago) is traveling singly and wishes to share.

The Solstice is a little pricier than I'd like, but what the hey.

--Michael

Well, this would be my first all-gay cruise, and my first non-NCL cruise. I'm thinking any of the "stuffiness" factor when comparing X to NCL would be diminished by the fabulousness of the clientele for that week.

It's still early to know if I'm going or not, because I'm not sure if my friends are going or not. And while I talk a lot on these boards, I'm in person very quiet and shy, so signing up while knowing no one is something I'd have to work up to. We'll see.

--Michael

My better half and myself have signed up for this cruise. It will be our 3rd Atlantis Caribbean cruise, and we tend to go every other year. We love them! We have convinced another couple to go as well.

Quick question for y'all...another friend is interested in going, but he can't find someone locally to go with him. He is considering going and having a roommate assigned by Atlantis/Celebrity for him. Have any of you had experience doing this, or talked to many folks that have?

Personally, I don't think I could do it, just because I'm introverted and shy! I'm sure there are different experiences each time you get a roommate, but was wondering what the general experience has been on Atlantis cruises for folks travelling solo.

Thanks!

Matt

It's still early to know if I'm going or not, because I'm not sure if my friends are going or not. And while I talk a lot on these boards, I'm in person very quiet and shy, so signing up while knowing no one is something I'd have to work up to. We'll see.

--Michael

I booked last minute Michael and found a bed available online in an otherwise non-share category room. I've never booked a cruise less than two months prior to sailing. It was very tight but it worked out well and I got to know my roommate and we found commonalities. I think that's a route you may want to go so at least you have someone you can dine with and not dine alone. No disrespect to Atlantis but those singles dinners are just torture. :cool: I think you'd be fine to go on your own. I'm a shy guy too but I always manage to have a good time.

I've sailed many cruise lines. Most of them I've sampled are thanks to Atlantis (my first NCL cruise was with them as was Celebrity and RCCL). I like NCL a lot and have dropped Princess in favor of NCL. I like Celebrity but they tend to be way over priced for their hetero itineraries and RCCL is just too much going on for a vacation. If I wanted to be on the go all the time I'd just stay at home and work and go to school 24/7. :eek:

Don't wait too long - I doubt the ship will sell out completely but as the next payment looms in September you may notice shifting. The openings after that will be filled and people will lose money so you'll not see as many cancellations. The longer you wait the more of a risk you take.

Archived