Artemis

ovccruiser

Can anyone help? I am considering a Caribbean cruise on the Artemis and would like some information on her. Basically what is she like, I know opinions can be subjective, but I hear she has had a recent refit. What are the balcony and sea view cabins like, size wise and cleanliness, What sort of entertainment is provided in the evenings. Any info would be appreciated. I am a Cunard person at heart, which may cloud my judgement:D:D

I wrote this on another thread:

Just off the Artemis after a 2 week cruise.

My first impression after walking around was "Oh no! Why did we book a cruise on this old ship!!!" She seemed so unloved and uncared for with her rusty rails and unvarnished decks. There was no Andersons or Crows Nest bar. They had Horizons instead which was full of TV screens showing sports or CNN news. Our old friend Norovirus was onboard as well!

Dinner on that first night was free seating in the Coral dining room (conservatory was closed) and it was absolute chaos. Salt and pepper sachets on the tables - no cruet sets (this changed after the 2nd or 3rd day). We were nearly finished dinner before we got our wine as the waiters were rushed off their feet.

By the time we got back to our cabin with double bed pushed up along the wall (my side unfortunately) I was ready to fly back to Gatwick again!

A big over reaction really. We had a great trip out on Thomson (premium well worth the £99 each way) getting good service and nice meals. There had been so many films to watch that I hadn't even had time for a nap so I suppose this was 3am UK time and well past my bedtime.

The next morning things all seemed much better. Norovirus disappeared after 3 or 4 days, the food was of a good standard, the theatre company were the best since Arcadia, the staff were very friendly and the weather made for a perfect cruise. The ship still seemed very shabby though - she badly needs that refit. The pool was disappointing and it was impossible to get a sunbed after 10am seadays (yes the same old story!) Bobby Crush was on (again!) with exactly the same show.

I wish I was still there - though there's a weight issue to be dealt with now that I am home. I never went to the "small" gym once as they didn't have the machine I normally use! (Great excuse!)

Next to the late lamented QE2 Artemis is my favourite ship too. I have done three cruises so far on her, the last one 26 nights, and loved every minute. She cannot compare with the big glizty modern ships, but has a gentle refined character all her own. The food has always been good IMO, and she can reach ports the others cannot. Try her out. The crew love her - always a good sign.

I have lots of photos here from various cruises on her.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sharonp40/CruiseShipsArtemis#

While she was the flagship of Princess Lines, as Royal Princess, she was a lovely ship, and is one of my favorites.

We did two full Panama Canal transits and two trans-Altantics on her. I was very sorry to see her transferred out of the fleet, and never did understand why the option to build a sister ship was not exercised..

I love Artemis too, and am doing another 26 nighter this coming October. Although I noticed a little rust around our window on C Deck, I didn't notice any rust on handrails and crew were constantly painting her.

Enjoy!

Jean

Hi Nice to hear positive reports on Artemis as many I have read have been mixed to say the least My wife and are trying her for a 4 night Cruise break to Amsterdam and Bruges over the August bank holiday weekend

I'm keen to try her as at present she is the only other child free option ( we sailed with Arcadia twice and love her ) I'm actually looking forward to expereince a smaller vessel and as we cruise on the QM2 in November to New York we should get quit a contrast this year.

All the images are great thanks for posting everyone I will look forward to my long bank holiday weekend and keep you posted on my findings on board Artemis

Hi there Soletread!

Haven't seen around here for a while.

The Amsterdam and Bruges cruise is a lovely break, and plenty of time for you to explore the ship and decide if you want a longer cruise on her. Did you seen my Artemis photo album in link on above thread? Are you docking in Amsterdam or Rotterdam?

I went on this cruise on Aurora, have a album on this here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/Aurora3nAmsterdamAndBrugesCruise#5106785061526354402

We did a great Amsterdam tour which covered the windmills, a ride through the canals in Amsterdam on a boat-trip , lunch and even a visit to a clog making factory.All in photos in link. Rotterdam was the most welcoming port I have ever sailed into, we even had a red carpet when we disembarked, and a man in top hat waving to us , plus a water boat arrival, and craft stands in the dock area and clog dancers.

Sue:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived