Photo ID when leaving ship?

theresa1014

I have read in a few NCL reviews that you need a drivers license or passport to get back on the ship in addition to your NCL Card. Is this at all ports (St. Thomas, Samana, Tortola)? We have a pretty large family going and I want to make sure everyone has the right info! Thanks for the help.

they will make MANY announcements, plus it will be listed in the daily newsletter...

yes, you need you ship's card and your photo ID for each port. the photo ID they check at security points around the dock (to make sure you belong in that area) and the ship's card they scan as you leave and come back to the ship (if has your photo on it)

I would plan on having one for everyone and taking them with you off the ship. Most often, the dock area has restricted access...that is where you will need the NCL card and a photo ID...to let you back on the pier.

Getting back on board the ship, you just need the NCL card...when they swipe the card, your picture comes up on the screen and that is how they check on the ship itself.

I don't know for sure, but I believe that young children will not need one if accompanied by adults who do have them.

I have read in a few NCL reviews that you need a drivers license or passport to get back on the ship in addition to your NCL Card. Is this at all ports (St. Thomas, Samana, Tortola)? We have a pretty large family going and I want to make sure everyone has the right info! Thanks for the help.

I believe that the photo ID (Government issued) is for proof of citizenship while in port. We just came back from the Spirit and they reminded you to take your Gov. ID. Though no one ever looked at ours coming or going, we always had a copy of our passports with us. The ships card was used to prove that you were from one of the ships at port that day at the security checkpoint.

I believe that the photo ID (Government issued) is for proof of citizenship while in port. We just came back from the Spirit and they reminded you to take your Gov. ID. Though no one ever looked at ours coming or going, we always had a copy of our passports with us. The ships card was used to prove that you were from one of the ships at port that day at the security checkpoint.

Remember that a Drivers License is NOT considered Proof of Citizenship. Now that being said, the whole conversation of "bring" or "not bring" the original passport when you leave the ship has been bantered about on the lists for quite some time. A couple of things to consider: 1) If in an emergency you need to fly home from a foreign (non-United States) port, you will need your passport. While it's not *impossible* (strictly speaking) to get a replacement passport or other "acceptable" proof of citizenship, the hoops that you'll have to go through are significant. 2) If you need to get a replacement passport or proof of citizenship to fly home from a foreign port, you'll need to go to the United States Embassy that covers the island you happen to be on ... in some cases, the Embassy in Jamaica might also cover several other island countries (meaning the Ambassador in Residence is accredited to not only Jamaica but for several other nations in the Carribean). As such, coordinating with that particular embassy / consulate would only be an interesting situation to say the least.

In our case, we've always taken our passports with us when we go into port. Right decision? Bad decision? Only you can decide, just make the decision with eyes wide open.

Michael & Silke

We never take our passports. We leave them in the safe on the ship. If there's a problem, they can be gotten from the ship's safe and sent to us on land.

We do take a photocopy of the passport (when we remember), as well as our driver's license (to show at the port to get past security).

We never take our passports. We leave them in the safe on the ship. If there's a problem, they can be gotten from the ship's safe and sent to us on land.

We do take a photocopy of the passport (when we remember), as well as our driver's license (to show at the port to get past security).

Again, there's no right or wrong on this one, only degrees of comfort level regarding whether to take or not take the passport. Only each individual can decide where there comfort level is.

I would be curious however ... in those cases where someone NEEDED to have their passport removed from the stateroom safe, how successful were they in actually getting it? Did the cruise line cooperate? Did they get it in time? All sorts of issues on this, and it continues to make for a very interesting discussion.

Michael

Again, there's no right or wrong on this one, only degrees of comfort level regarding whether to take or not take the passport. Only each individual can decide where there comfort level is.

I would be curious however ... in those cases where someone NEEDED to have their passport removed from the stateroom safe, how successful were they in actually getting it? Did the cruise line cooperate? Did they get it in time? All sorts of issues on this, and it continues to make for a very interesting discussion.

Michael

Just curious who is going to send you the passport when the ship is at sea and you are stuck in a port. A primary purpose of a passport is to have it in a foreign country. To not have your passport is just plain foolish.

I just returned from the Gem and we were told to take the photo ID and your boarding card. The photo ID was not needed to actually get on the ship, only your boarding card. The combo of the photo Id and the boarding card were needed at every port to get into the pier area itself and was checked by personnel from the country you were in. The boarding card identifies you as traveling on the ship and the photo Id confirms who you are.

If you look at the computers when you actually get on the ship they have your picture on there when they slide your card through.

We carry a copy of our passport, leaving the original in the safe. We've never been asked for passport. We use drivers lic. For photo id. Figuring the lic. Would be the easiest to replace, if lost or stolden

We carry a copy of our passport, leaving the original in the safe. We've never been asked for passport. We use drivers lic. For photo id. Figuring the lic. Would be the easiest to replace, if lost or stolden

I would much rather mail in the form for a passport replacement than stand in line at MV to replace my license. Additionally, you only need your passport occasionally but your license most people need every day. A photocopy of your passport is virtually useless when dealing with foreign countries. All it takes is once and you will realize that leaving your passport in the safe of a ship while you are on land in a foreign country is just not a wise thing to do...

We have always been told to take a photo ID and the ship card off the ship. We have never been asked for the photo ID.

I plan to take the passport when on private excursions in port. I am taking our birth certificates along as back up. I will leave those on the ship. If I miss the ship and need to fly home, I will need my passport. If I lose my passport in port, the birth certificate and drivers license will still get me through customs in Miami.

We have always been told to take a photo ID and the ship card off the ship. We have never been asked for the photo ID.

We had to show the photo ID to get past the security guy at the Nassau cruise terminal.

I plan to take the passport when on private excursions in port. I am taking our birth certificates along as back up. I will leave those on the ship. If I miss the ship and need to fly home, I will need my passport.

I don't ever take excursions lasting long enough that I might miss the ship, so that's not a worry for me. I *do* worry however about either swimming with my passport in my husband's bathing suit (even waterproof pouches aren't always fully waterproof) or leaving it on the beach. It can't be stolen if it's in the ship's safe.

;);)

When my husband and I travel we allways have a photocopy of our passports and driver liscence in our carry on, and have the orignals locked away in the safe on board the ship, and yes when you get back on board the ship you just need your key card.

Hope this helps,

Monika

I should also note that I leave my passport in hotel safes when touring on land-based vacations. And I never carried it around with me during the semester I lived in Paris as a study-broad student. In fact, the university suggested that we didn't bring it with us as it could easily get stolen out and about in the city.

As said above, the decisions is yours. For those folks that are "based" in a foreign country like Paris, you can at least go back to your room with the authorities and get your passport if needed. But, the ship will leave on time and will wait for nobody.

I am guessing it is very rare that somebody really does need it. After following these boards for a few years, I do not remember it coming up, though I am sure it has.

How much trouble is it to get back into the USA without a passport? YEARS AGO THE SHIP OR HOTEL HELD YOUR PASSPORT. I WAS SURPRISED LAST YEAR WHEN THE M/S PAUL GAUGUAN COLLECTED OUR PASSPORTS AND GAVE US A RECEIPT. OUR PASSPORTS WERE RETURNED AT THE END OF THE CRUISE. THAT WAS FOR FRENCH POLENESIA

I should also note that I leave my passport in hotel safes when touring on land-based vacations. And I never carried it around with me during the semester I lived in Paris as a study-broad student. In fact, the university suggested that we didn't bring it with us as it could easily get stolen out and about in the city.

Totally different situation, if needed you can go back to your room and get it, can't do that when the ship has sailed to another country...

The photo ID is NOT needed to prove citizenship. The cruise line has vouched for you with the local officials that you presented a valid passport when you boarded the ship.

A photo ID IS needed if you lose your ship card while ashore. I did while in Roatan, and all I had to do was show my license to the port security while passing to the ship and the ship security to get back on. They matched it up with the photo in the ship's computer.

The photo ID is NOT needed to prove citizenship. The cruise line has vouched for you with the local officials that you presented a valid passport when you boarded the ship.

Right, it's not needed to prove citizenship, but it is needed to prove you're the person whose name is on the ship card.

Right, it's not needed to prove citizenship, but it is needed to prove you're the person whose name is on the ship card.

That's right and it really varies a great deal from port to port and day to day. So, just because you didn't need it before doesn't mean you won't the next time.

Archived