Leaving Ship in earlier port

Probably not.....even though you are going to the Bahamas, I believe that is NOT a distant foreign port, thus you are essentially going between 2 US ports...which is a violation of what is referred to as the "Jones Act" (foreign flagged cruise lines can't transport passengers between 2 us ports unless you go to a 'distant foreign port...' that's a VERY condensed version.

the cruise line would be heavily fined...which it would pass on to you.

Rent a car and drive down....

Fascinating question. I would definitely call RCL and get the answer from them, not from people on the board because I'd be shocked if anyone has done this. I wouldn't recommend walking off the ship with your luggage (of course you'll be questioned about that one) and just not returning, without officially telling them, because they'll see that you haven't returned at the end of the day when you don't re-insert your sea pass card. It could all cause a big problem.

But I'd be surprised if you couldn't actually do it all legally - why should they care? Maybe there's an immigration issue. No idea.

Please call them and let us know what they say. I'm totally curious!

Fascinating question. I would definitely call RCL and get the answer from them, not from people on the board because I'd be shocked if anyone has done this. I wouldn't recommend walking off the ship with your luggage (of course you'll be questioned about that one) and just not returning, without officially telling them, because they'll see that you haven't returned at the end of the day when you don't re-insert your sea pass card. It could all cause a big problem.

But I'd be surprised if you couldn't actually do it all legally - why should they care? Maybe there's an immigration issue. No idea.

It's illegal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Services_Act

google Passenger vessel services act.

Definitely not allowed as it would violate the Passenger Vehicle Services Act. You could get off early in a foreign port, but not a US port (unless you've visited a distant foreign port and the Bahamas are not distant).

As others have pointed out, it is not a matter of the cruise line caring - it is a matter of U.S. law. It is not legal to do this.

As others have pointed out, it is not a matter of the cruise line caring - it is a matter of U.S. law. It is not legal to do this.

I actually was typing my comment when there were NO replies. When I hit "Submit Reply," the two posts above mine appeared.

I didn't realize the Jones Act had anything to do with getting off the ship early. I thought it only meant a cruise ship can't do back-to-back US ports without doing a non-port in between.

Another situation......we left Miami for a 4-day cruise...Key West/Cozumel and back to Miami. My girlfriend's daughter lives in Key West..so my friend (who lives in North Carolina) thought that instead of mailing her some new pots and pans for her birthday...she'd just deliver them. She got them on the ship in her suitcase...no problem. When we got to Key West...there was her daughter waiting at the port...and my friend was happily attempting to get off the ship with the suitcase filled with pots and pans.....what a procedure it caused...they called in Customs...the pots and pans were considered to be imports...(which they were originally, but purchased in North Carolina)....alot of hassle for my friend to do that. I think it took about 3 hours of wrangling to get those pots and pans off the ship. All due to the ship leaving US waters going to Key West from Miami.

If a person misses the ship in a port....then catches up with the ship later....is there a fine for them to pay for their tardiness?

I was on a transatlantic a few years ago where the ship stopped in Miami, before its final stop in Galveston....if one notified the ship beforehand, one could disembark in Miami without a problem. But of course the ship had left from Europe...guess not quite the same as a Miami to Key West sailing. :rolleyes:

If a person misses the ship in a port....then catches up with the ship later....is there a fine for them to pay for their tardiness?

I was on a transatlantic a few years ago where the ship stopped in Miami, before its final stop in Galveston....if one notified the ship beforehand, one could disembark in Miami without a problem. But of course the ship had left from Europe...guess not quite the same as a Miami to Key West sailing. :rolleyes:

I think if one misses the ship in port they generally would not pay a fine to catch up (as they are not being transported by the ship at that point, but they have to obtain another type of transportation to catch the ship. Not 100% sure though.

It is generally possible to obtain permission to debark early if the ship is coming from a distant foreign port as in your example of debarking in Miami after the ship is coming from Europe. Also on European cruises I think it is often possible to debark in a port prior to the final port of call (The Jones act AKA PSVA is a U.S. law).

The fine for violating the PVSA is $300 per person. As a result, typically RCCL will not allow passengers to catch up to the ship in Key West for example. They make them wait until a foreign port to catch up which does not violate the PVSA.

I think if one misses the ship in port they generally would not pay a fine to catch up (as they are not being transported by the ship at that point, but they have to obtain another type of transportation to catch the ship. Not 100% sure though.

If they try to catch up to the ship at another US port, then yes they do assess the $300 fine. If they catch up at a foreign port, no fine, because then they aren't violating the PVSA.

I think they can forget about the "oops we missed the ship" excuse, unless they plan on leaving all of their luggage in the room.

The whole thing sounds like WAY too much of a hassle. Do like someone above suggested. Get off in Miami and immediately rent a car and drive back to Key West.

I actually was typing my comment when there were NO replies. When I hit "Submit Reply," the two posts above mine appeared.

I didn't realize the Jones Act had anything to do with getting off the ship early. I thought it only meant a cruise ship can't do back-to-back US ports without doing a non-port in between.

Jones Act / Passenger VESSEL [NOT Vehicle] Services Act does NOT address B2B US ports, but it does address transport [ie embarkation and disembarkation] of passengers or cargo from one US port to another US port without a stop in a DISTANT foreign port [essentially nowhere in North America is distant; South America (including Aruba and Curacao) are distant; special rules apply to PR and the USVI]. I am NOT a maritime lawyer [or a lawyer of any type], so please do not accept my word as law, and definitely do NOT accept the word of anyone who who say that you can't do back-to-back US ports without doing a non-port in between [uhh - don't all ports have a non-port (aka sea) in between].

That raises another question...for me coming from a long way to board a ship, I'm generally not satisfied with one 7-day cruise..so what I've done in the past is do one cruise, then the next day embark another ship for another cruise..so I get at least 10-14 cruising days...:D

But I've wondered what would happen if I disembarked a ship in the port of Miami (for example)..and on the same day....embarked a different ship, same port.

Or, stayed on the same ship for a true B2B.....I know other people do linear B2B's, what about circular B2B's?

I would hope that if it's not allowed, it would be caught at the time of deposit, and not at the time of re-embarkation. :confused:

That raises another question...for me coming from a long way to board a ship, I'm generally not satisfied with one 7-day cruise..so what I've done in the past is do one cruise, then the next day embark another ship for another cruise..so I get at least 10-14 cruising days...:D

But I've wondered what would happen if I disembarked a ship in the port of Miami (for example)..and on the same day....embarked a different ship, same port.

Or, stayed on the same ship for a true B2B.....I know other people do linear B2B's, what about circular B2B's?

I would hope that if it's not allowed, it would be caught at the time of deposit, and not at the time of re-embarkation. :confused:

Either way you would not have a problem, you are doing 2 different cruises, and returning to the same port.

I am not aware of any restrictions on what you are describing.

Probably not.....even though you are going to the Bahamas, I believe that is NOT a distant foreign port, thus you are essentially going between 2 US ports...which is a violation of what is referred to as the "Jones Act" (foreign flagged cruise lines can't transport passengers between 2 us ports unless you go to a 'distant foreign port...' that's a VERY condensed version.

the cruise line would be heavily fined...which it would pass on to you.

Rent a car and drive down....

This is interesting. How do they define "Distant?" The Disney Wonder makes trips from Port Canaveral to two stops in The Bahamas then back to Port Canaveral. I know that Miami is much closer to The Bahamas than Port canaveral but not much.

Also, some ships leave San Diego to Ensenada then on to Hawaii. San Diego and Ensenada are pretty close.

This is interesting. How do they define "Distant?" The Disney Wonder makes trips from Port Canaveral to two stops in The Bahamas then back to Port Canaveral. I know that Miami is much closer to The Bahamas than Port canaveral but not much.

Also, some ships leave San Diego to Ensenada then on to Hawaii. San Diego and Ensenada are pretty close.

The point of the act is that non-US flagged ships may not *transport* passengers between two US ports. When a cruise is round-trip, embarking from and returning to the same port, they are not transporting you from one place in the US to another.

And that is why those cruises make you take a bus to Ensenada, instead of leaving from San Diego.

As Wrona said,

The fine for violating the PVSA is $300 per person. As a result, typically RCCL will not allow passengers to catch up to the ship in Key West for example. They make them wait until a foreign port to catch up which does not violate the PVSA.

Here is a link to a fairly cogent explanation: http://www.sealetter.com/Oct-99/alancol.html

Distant foreign ports are defined as outside the US, Canada, Bermuda, Central America, and the Caribbean. The nearest distant foreign ports on the East Coast are the ABC islands and South America. On the west coast, it's in Kiribati (2 sea days the other side of Hawaii).

The distant foreign port requirement only applies to a cruise between two different US ports. For a roundtrip cruise from a US port, any foreign port stop before disembarking will satisfy the PVSA. The cruises in your example are all roundtrip cruises, so they are only required to make a foreign port stop - there is no distant requirement.

But if someone missed a sailing from Miami and tries to board the ship in Key West, that would switch their roundtrip Miami sailing to a one way cruise between Key West and Miami which would trigger the distant foreign port requirement. If they wait until Nassau to board though, their cruise is a one way between a foreign country and the US, so the PVSA doesn't apply.

Distant foreign ports are defined as outside the US, Canada, Bermuda, Central America, and the Caribbean. The nearest distant foreign ports on the East Coast are the ABC islands and South America. On the west coast, it's in Kiribati (2 sea days the other side of Hawaii).

The distant foreign port requirement only applies to a cruise between two different US ports. For a roundtrip cruise from a US port, any foreign port stop before disembarking will satisfy the PVSA. The cruises in your example are all roundtrip cruises, so they are only required to make a foreign port stop - there is no distant requirement.

But if someone missed a sailing from Miami and tries to board the ship in Key West, that would switch their roundtrip Miami sailing to a one way cruise between Key West and Miami which would trigger the distant foreign port requirement. If they wait until Nassau to board though, their cruise is a one way between a foreign country and the US, so the PVSA doesn't apply.

Yup...that's what i was going to say....

Thus....as merionmom said, the closed-ended cruises from Miami or where ever are fine as you go back from whence you came!

Archived