Shore Excursions for Med Cruises

custompcsys

Has anyone taking a Med cruise this summer had their shore excursions open for pre-reserving in the cruise personalizer? I'm on the Grand departing 6/27 and ours still show as "not available".

I realize they don't necessarily come up right at the 120 day mark (we have 101 days to go now), but I was just curious if Princess is still firming up their excursions in Europe for the summer.

Thanks! :)

If you see a tour you really like, it's best to book when bookings open. That's what we did on our Golden Princess NaPali Coast tour in Hawaii. I would have hated to miss out on that, it was wonderful.

Should you change your mind you can cancel until the closing time posted at the tour office.

Steve

For our April TA shore excursions didn't show up until 88 or so days before sailing. When I called Princess they said that they now have excursions posted only 90 days before sailing. Ours were a bit late because it was the first Med. sailing of the season, and they were getting contracts confirmed.

You could check the excursions offered for the spring TA's to get an idea of what excursions are being offered in the ports you're visiting. I made a copy of last fall's TA sailings and used those as a reference. Also I think if you go to Princess's website it lists excursions by port or as a pdf. You could make a list of excursions you want so when they're posted you'd just sign up.

Has anyone taking a Med cruise this summer had their shore excursions open for pre-reserving in the cruise personalizer? I'm on the Grand departing 6/27 and ours still show as "not available".

I realize they don't necessarily come up right at the 120 day mark (we have 101 days to go now), but I was just curious if Princess is still firming up their excursions in Europe for the summer.

Many times, shore excursions won't open up until the 90 day mark or less. It all depends on contracts being approved with the suppliers to Princess. I would just keep checking back each day, but it could be a couple of weeks before they are open for booking yet. Enjoy!

I look at excursions to our destinations, but on different ships & dates. Most tours are pretty regular so if you see one for the June cruise it will likely be there next September. Then when the bookings open you can look for the one you've already decided on.

Steve

The European cruise ports are the best and pre-planning is a must. Not sure if you ever considered going private, but in Europe the value as well as the better experience is well worth considering going private. In the past either thru being stupid or lazy I had always done cruise sponsered tours. This past year for Europe did private, will likely ALWAYS now research for my next one.

In Europe unlike perhaps other places many stops don't work well with large tour buses. THink small streets, old towns meaning if you are on the big bus tours expect to hike a bit. Also there is much to see and a group of 60 is always slower then a group of 5-10. Private requires research but for it you'll be rewarded.

BTW we reserved our private tours about 6 months prior.

Regards

Someone mentioned on our roll call Ruby Med July3, that if you went for a private excursion rather than ship tour in Istanbul and Ephesus that you had to get a visa. Since this is my first European cruise, does anyone know if this is true or not.

Thank... in advance

Pat

Someone mentioned on our roll call Ruby Med July3, that if you went for a private excursion rather than ship tour in Istanbul and Ephesus that you had to get a visa. Since this is my first European cruise, does anyone know if this is true or not.

Thank... in advance

Pat

If you are visiting Turkey from a cruise ship then you are considered 'in transit' and do not need a visa.

Rochelle

There seems to be a difference of opinion on the Visa question. A poster who travels to Turkey frequently (has an apartment there) said that while a Visa is no big deal (stand in line and pay 10 euros) it is required if going off on your own.

Thank... in advance

Pat

According to the U.S. State Department, a visa is required at the port of entry. I remember flying into Istanbul and waiting to get our visas. Not sure how that's done when arriving by ship in Kusadasi.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1046.html#entry_requirements

But see: Turkish Embassy Website: "The passengers of cruise ships are allowed to enter and stay overnight in the port cities of Turkey upon the permission given by local border police authorities. These passengers are not required to obtain an entry visa to Turkey."

http://www.washington.emb.mfa.gov.tr/ConsularServices.aspx?ID=6

You do NOT need a visa if you are visiting Turkey via a cruise ship. The only situation where you would need to obtain a visa if you are cruising is if you are embarking in Turkey (can get visa at the airport for minimal amount $15-20), or if your cruise ends in Turkey and you will be flying out.

There is no issue with you going about on your own in Turkey. It is not the same as St. Petersburg where a visa is required if you wish to venture off the ship on your own at all.

This has been confirmed by numerous people on the Med cruise board. It is true for US and Canadian passengers (and probably most others, but I wouldn't want to say for certain). It was true in late 2006 (when I visited) and late 2008 (sister and BIL visited).

So please be reassured.

Archived