3-5ft swells: Will we feel it?

We are sailing on Brilliance and the forecast is for 3-5ft swells. I think this is around beaufort 4.

I know these are pretty mild conditions, but I was wondering if they are enough to cause the ship to noticably pitch/roll, the water in the pools to slosh, etc?

I get travel sick and wonder how prepared I need to be for any motion?

Nope you won't if you're having fun. Shouldn't be a problem. Those are mild. Now on Splendour in 20' swells, the whole ship was leaving deposits. We never get sick (so far) but Todd had to lead me down our hallway with my fingers pinching my nose on that trip:eek: Get the patch of bonine, I've heard it works great if you do get higher waves.

Nope you won't if you're having fun. Shouldn't be a problem. Those are mild. Now on Splendour in 20' swells, the whole ship was leaving deposits. We never get sick (so far) but Todd had to lead me down our hallway with my fingers pinching my nose on that trip:eek: Get the patch of bonine, I've heard it works great if you do get higher waves.

Yuck!!!

Well in my experience I will take 25' rolling seas in the Atlantic over 15-20' choppy seas in the Gulf of Mexico. The confused seas that come about in the GOM really can make it uncomfortable. Head into the rolling seas, well you get used to it quickly and just walk and stop as needed to get where you are going without too much difficulty. The stairs in those kids of seas are probably the most dangerous place to walk though, if you don't get the hang of the swell pattern.

Of course wind on the ship side can be worse than waves in terms of making the ship roll side to side. Ideally you are head into the wind or it is directly astern blowing the ship along. When its on the side directly, the ship acts like a Giant sail and will roll just from the strong winds, where wave action is of less consequences.

Go forth and enjoy your cruise!!!

We had 5' on the Mariner and nothing noticed. It was such a smooth cruise I said prayers of thanks for that.

The first night on the Carnival Victory out of Miami I was rolling back and forth in bed but could tolerate fine. DH never moved. That was the most movement I have ever felt.

I do dread the day I run into more active swells. I was getting a little seasick with Rancher Dave's last paragraph. I know the more I cruise the chance increases of big swells but I just will have to deal with it and be prepared.

Laura

It seems that coming out of Ft. Lauderdale, headed for the Bahamas.....we have experienced more rolling.....sometimes very gently, and sometimes where we have had bed stand drawers opening and closing.......and flower vases falling off of vanities and tables.

However.........that is not the norm. If I have learned anything....if you have a loved one give you flowers.......take a face cloth......wet it, and put it between the vase and the table............I don't care how rough (within reason)...........the vase will never move.

After 74 cruises........I would think that my DW would be pretty immune to seasickness............but alas......it's just who she is......and she still needs patches or bonine.

On most cruise ships..........5 to 9 foot swells mean nothing........might as well be sailing on smooth waters.

On 10 to 15 foot swells.......a bit of movement will be felt........very good sleeping for me...........almost like rocking in the cradle!

15 to 25 foot swells...........you will feel a bit of movement.......and for those that are prone to seasickness.........good time to get bonine or the patch.

25 to 35 foot swells.............some of us are really enjoying the ride, but baggies will be found on the railings in the passageway.

We were caught in the end of a typhoon in the sea of Japan on a cruise in 2001..........and those were the worst seas that I have encountered.

I'm sure that some have seen worse. On that day.......everything on the ship was closed. All of the glasses from every bar were shattered.

This happened on an NCL ship............and we all come out unscathed.

What I have learned from that experience is that todays cruise ships are built to withstand heavy force winds and waves........and although you may feel that you are being tossed about........the ship is safe!

And, in closing......we were in the harbor of the island of Bora Bora.....on the old R-4, having dinner with a delightful couple. I noticed that their daughter........on her first cruise......was wearing a patch behind her ear.

On inquiry..........she told me that the rocking of the ship had made her seasick........and hence the patch. Folks............there was no movement in those glassy waters.........but we all have our tolerance levels.:)

Rick

I experienced my first cruise the first week of March on the Voyager of the Seas. Almost every day was 4 to 6 foot waves according to the ship status channel on the tv in the cabin. I'm going to disagree with every other poster and say that you can definitely tell the ship is rocking. It's not bad, mind you, but it's noticeable. My DW is susceptible to motion sickness so we planned ahead and got her the patch prescription. Neither of us had any problems with it. It was actually kinda fun to me to feel the ship rocking. However, it took me 3 days to get my land legs back (also a first). That was a strange experience.

I experienced my first cruise the first week of March on the Voyager of the Seas. Almost every day was 4 to 6 foot waves according to the ship status channel on the tv in the cabin. I'm going to disagree with every other poster and say that you can definitely tell the ship is rocking. It's not bad, mind you, but it's noticeable. My DW is susceptible to motion sickness so we planned ahead and got her the patch prescription. Neither of us had any problems with it. It was actually kinda fun to me to feel the ship rocking. However, it took me 3 days to get my land legs back (also a first). That was a strange experience.

boz68...........first....let me welcome you to Cruise Critic!

Second...........I know exactly how you felt........especially on your first cruise ...........getting your land legs back.

As we started to cruise more.....and on longer cruises......even after our 10th cruise............I had a problem for up to 3 days after getting off of a ship......to feel that I was no longer rocking! It's a very unreal feeling.......and many of us have had the same experience.

I want to thank you for sharing..........and let you know that you are not alone...........by a long shot!!

Rick

Archived