Upgraded. Normal ?

daveS007

We are on HAL's Zuiderdam and had booked a suite - catagory SS - SZ. We leave in a week and were offered an upgrade to the Deluxe Verandah Suite - catagory SA - SC. It came with a cost of $299 each. After looking into what the cost of this suite would have been we found that it would have cost us a total of $1,400 more if we booked it originally. With that, we thought it was a pretty good deal and being our first cruise decided what the heck... lets go for it.

My question is; does this normally happen? Are you typically offered this type of upgrade on most cruises? Or is it perhaps the economy and they have a bunch that are empty so offered out with a decent discount?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

These upsell offers happen on most (or maybe all) cruises in the final weeks before sailing, although they may be happening in larger volume lately. An individual cruiser may not receive them very often because a "taker" is found before his/name is reached on the list.

The reason purchased upgrades are offered is because they need the cabin category you've booked. They have someone who will pay for the SS, but won't spring for the SA. So enticing you to upgrade for a fraction of what the upgrade would have cost you in the first place is a win-win. If you would enjoy the S suite (and I can't think of any reason why you'd not) then I'd say take the deal.

How often does this happen? Can't say for sure, but I'm guessing it's fairly regular. Sailings that fill up quickly won't tend to have these offers ... or very many of them.

The reason purchased upgrades are offered is because they need the cabin category you've booked. They have someone who will pay for the SS, but won't spring for the SA.
Or maybe they have an unsold SA and believe they will have a better chance of finding a buyer for the SS that would be vacated - possibly from the ranks of the Vs, etc, etc.

I just had an "upsell weirdness" experience. We're booked in a VD on the Noordam next month.....and actually checked "no upgrade" as we wanted to try the larger balcony. We were called and offered a pretty expensive upsell (about $800) to an SS HANDICAPPED cabin (triple, next to glass elevator) Obviously, NO. I only found out about the HC part by checking the deck plans; my question is........should they be offering an HC to someone who doesn't need it a month before departure date? Had the upsell been offered first to bookers of other HC cabins?

We leave next week on the Ryndam for Sea of Cortez.

We have been offered first an upgrade of $599.00 per person for a Verandah Suite and than yesterday $349 for the Verandah Suite.

The price is coming down.

Congrate on the upgrade/Upsell!

Gail

We only got an upsell offer once in 9 HAL cruises - when we had picked a specific cabin and said Do Not Upgrade. Since many of our fellow CCers had been getting free upgrades around that time, we decided to wait it out. We sailed in what we had booked! :rolleyes:

Archived