New pet peeve.....

We just got home from a cruise on Jewel and had a balcony cabin. I didn't know there was a switch that controlled the outside light. Where is it?

On our last Princess cruise, it was on the wall, hidden behind the drapes. Don't know about on RCI...

I hesitate to say this, but here it is.

There is nothing impolite about gently letting your neighbors know. The vast majority of people would be happy to accommodate you, but they can't know that it is bothersome to you if you don't tell them.

:)

That is....if your neighbors speak the same language than you. :)

I live in close proximity with neighbors that don't speak English, and it is not easy when they don't understand what you are saying. It can get really uncomfortable.

But....if it bothered me that much, and since it is my expensive vacation, I probably would take the chance.

We've so far never had this problem. I think the first thing I would do would be to mention it to the room steward. If he/she services both cabins, he/she might delicately mention to the occupant that it is not typical to leave the balcony light on all night.

That way, it solves the problem if they don't know where the switch is located. Could be that during the day, the ship has a master control that turns all balcony lights off and only energizes the circuits at night. So someone might not realize that they have control of the light at night and the ship shuts all lights off during the day.

If I was designing the ship's electrical system, that's what I'd do to save energy during the day.

Often it is the room steward who is turning this light on. Folks go to dinner, their steward comes around and cleans--including the balcony--and leaves the light on, closes the drapes, turns down the bed, and he/she leaves with the balcony light still on.

That's how the lights get turned on in staterooms with folks who had no idea where the light switch was.

Leslie

I enjoy reading late at night on my balcony and I do use the light as that is what it is there for:) On the Ex. we have solid balcony wall dividers in our cabin so it doesn't seem to be an issue with neighbors. I hear people out on their balconys all the time talking and laughing late at night also and it doesn't bother me at all and if a light or other people bothered me I'd go inside and draw the drapes.

We've had this happen to us and it can be a bit bothersome but we just fell asleep and then the problem went away.

If it did happen and it was keeping me up at night, I think I would call the guest services desk and have them handle it. We once received a call from a hotel clerk at night, telling us our TV was too loud and could we turn it down? Absolutely....we had no idea the people next door were being bothered by it and felt bad that we'd done this to them.

I also like the idea of asking the cabin steward to make sure it is off, I'm thinking the people who had the light on all night (as above) weren't aware it was on at all, we never once saw them out there. They probably didn't even turn it on themselves.

How about going out to the hallway phone by the elevator (untraceable) and dialing their cabin # ? Then say this is the Bridge or Guest Relations - please turn off the balcony light.:D

I was just thinking this myself.....great minds and all that.

How about going out to the hallway phone by the elevator (untraceable) and dialing their cabin # ? Then say this is the Bridge or Guest Relations - please turn off the balcony light.:D

I travel a lot for work and stay in way too many hotels. If there is excessive noise from a room on either side of me so I cannot sleep or work, I call the room, then just hang up when they answer.

Sometimes takes twice if it is a party, usually only takes once if people are getting to know each other better, if you know what I mean....

Archived