New pet peeve.....

Just off the EOS Sunday and it of course was wonderful. Except......we were in a aft cabin and our neighbors left their balcony light on every night. During the day it was off and as soon as it got dark they turned it back on. It was right by the partition to our balcony and way too bright. DH asked me not to say anything but please stop and think about this before you do it. We spent a lot of time on our balcony late at night and it was annoying! They were never out on the balcony except for early mornings.

Thank you, I just had to get that off my chest.

Wow...if they were real close to the bridge they would have received a call. We had folks we met who were right below and aft a cabin from the wing bridge...they turned on the light and the phone rang asking them to cut it off due to the glare.

When I get tired I will sleep regardless of a bit of light, but I understand where you are coming from.

Agree 100 %, very irritatining to book a balcony and then have an inconsiderate neighbor leave the light on balcony on. I've found a lot of times you see them going out of port or just before dinner and they never use the balcony again. I almost always book balcony and use it hours at a time, daytime to read or enjoy the view, after dark whatever.

Have found that cabin person , if asked, will turn off the light on next balcony and most of the time they don't even notice.

Just off the EOS Sunday and it of course was wonderful. Except......we were in a aft cabin and our neighbors left their balcony light on every night. During the day it was off and as soon as it got dark they turned it back on. It was right by the partition to our balcony and way too bright. DH asked me not to say anything but please stop and think about this before you do it. We spent a lot of time on our balcony late at night and it was annoying! They were never out on the balcony except for early mornings.

I hesitate to say this, but here it is.

There is nothing impolite about gently letting your neighbors know. The vast majority of people would be happy to accommodate you, but they can't know that it is bothersome to you if you don't tell them.

:)

There is nothing impolite about gently letting your neighbors know. The vast majority of people would be happy to accommodate you, but they can't know that it is bothersome to you if you don't tell them.

I agree ... some people don't even know they are bothering others. If they did they would stop. If you ask them to turn it off, and they don't then they are just being jerks, and as we all know 99% of the people on cruises are not jerks!

g

I would have been embarassed in that situation if I had learned that anything I was doing was impacting someone else's cruise negatively. And - I would immediately correct the action (if within reason - like keeping a light off).

That being said, I can understand why you hesitated saying something. Sometimes its just not worth starting something, since you have no idea how the other people may react. And, afterall, this is vacation!

Depending on where the lite switch is located, the 'offending' cabin occupant may not have even known the balcony lite was on...;)

We've had aft cabins, and tried switches, just to figure out what they controlled... If some one inadvertently turned the light on, they may have no clue their neighbor was 'bothered by it'..:rolleyes::p I remember "turning the bathroom" lite on, only to NOT have the light come on.. Guess what was being turned on?? Yep, the balcony lite..:eek::o

I agree, most people would mind a gentle reminder, especially if they weren't even using the balcony.

I agree with stirboo that they might not even be aware that it is on. Especially if they turned it on during the day while looking for the light switch to something else. If it's light outside they don't see it come on, figure it's something else, leave the cabin and then never realize (or realise) that it's on.

I'm not sure why there are lights out there, anyway! If you open the drapes, the room light is more than sufficient!

maybe they were reading while their cabin mates were trying to sleep? that happened on my last cruise. there were 4 of us, 3 were smokers--some stayed up later than others, others woke up earlier. we all used the balcony at different times of the day & night.

I do agree that a polite gentle request would not have bothered me at all.

Funny the things I have learned since I found CC, some three years ago, one being that there is even a light on the balcony of cabins. We cruised in a balcony cabin last year on another line and just opened our drapes and sat outside, with the lighting from inside being plenty. Up until I have been reading a few of these threads about lights and how they may bother neighbors, I never knew to even look for a switch for an outside light. And we're not novice cruisers either, having been on 40 cruises in the past 20 years, but most of them have been in insides, with about 3 on balcony cabins in that time.

We have a balcony coming up on our Radiance cruise in November and I'm going to look for that switch. Probably won't use it however since I don't read on the balcony and I like to look at the stars which is hard to do with a light on.:)

This is not a joke, I really never knew about balcony lights. Guess my neighbors never used theirs either because I can't remember on either side being on, at least that I noticed.

If you don't want to confront the cabin's occupants, then ask the room steward to please turn it off when he makes up the beds at night. Then, if they turn it back on all night, ask the cabin steward to talk to them for you, or ask the Head of Housekeeping to do it.

You should not be annoyed on your cruise. I cannot think of any legitimate reason why someone would leave it on all night, and if they need a nightlight, then leaving the bathroom door open a little works great.

Ask for help if it happens again.

I can't imagine how this is an issue. Our rooms have always been so very dark with the drapes drawn that we can barely tell when the sun is up. Do some ships have lighter weight drapes than others?

We have also had this happen to us, where our neighbors kept the light on all night. Since we like to sleep with the drapes open, and sometimes even the door, to get the nice sea air, it is bothersome. We had become chummy with our neighbors, so one morning while leaning on the balcony, and she was too, I asked her if she wouldn't mind turning off her balcony light at night, before they go to bed. She did not even know the light was on! She was actually embarassed and kept apologizing. Then she asked me where the switch was!

Wow...if they were real close to the bridge they would have received a call. We had folks we met who were right below and aft a cabin from the wing bridge...they turned on the light and the phone rang asking them to cut it off due to the glare.

When I get tired I will sleep regardless of a bit of light, but I understand where you are coming from.

Based on the OP's post, I'm guessing that they were not too close to the bridge.

OK---I have been reading and enjoying this post.

Now I will add my pet peeve-----why do people call it a BOAT?:confused:

Because it floats. Have you every heard someone say, "Whatever floats your ship"?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=489

Question:

Please help settle a family feud! My husband is constantly calling our cruise "vessel" we sail in a boat and I keep telling him, no, it is a ship. When does a boat become a ship? Does anyone at Cruise Critic have the answer?

Answer:

We do, but far be it from us to contribute to any marital discord, so our answer -- and it's the truth -- is that there is no difference.

However -- and this is paraphrased from Chapman Piloting: Seamanship & Boat Handling (63rd Edition), the mariner's bible for all things maritime -- though there is no official difference, the line is generally drawn at 20 meters (or, about 60 feet), at which point a "boat" becomes a "ship," though neither designation in incorrect for any length.

But, in a similar vein, which of the following three vessels is not considered a yacht: a) a 12-foot outboard inflatable dinghy; b) a six-foot kayak; or c) a 32-ft. motorized charter catamaran?

Answer: c) the charter catamaran. The yacht, by the "official" definition, is a pleasure craft not for commercial use. Now, before everyone who's taken yacht charters fire off angry e-mails, remember I said "official definition." Nowadays, the term is used far more loosely, but if you are rowing a rowboat, you are still considered to be piloting a yacht!

that actual problem was not the light shinning into our cabin (We closed the drapes) it was late at night when we were sitting on the balcony that it was annoying. I must assume they used it as a night light since it was not on during the day. They turned it on as soon as it got dark and they were never out on their balcony at night. If it were to happen again I would probably say something.

Because it floats. Have you every heard someone say, "Whatever floats your ship"?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=489

Question:

Please help settle a family feud! My husband is constantly calling our cruise "vessel" we sail in a boat and I keep telling him, no, it is a ship. When does a boat become a ship? Does anyone at Cruise Critic have the answer?

Answer:

We do, but far be it from us to contribute to any marital discord, so our answer -- and it's the truth -- is that there is no difference.

However -- and this is paraphrased from Chapman Piloting: Seamanship & Boat Handling (63rd Edition), the mariner's bible for all things maritime -- though there is no official difference, the line is generally drawn at 20 meters (or, about 60 feet), at which point a "boat" becomes a "ship," though neither designation in incorrect for any length.

But, in a similar vein, which of the following three vessels is not considered a yacht: a) a 12-foot outboard inflatable dinghy; b) a six-foot kayak; or c) a 32-ft. motorized charter catamaran?

Answer: c) the charter catamaran. The yacht, by the "official" definition, is a pleasure craft not for commercial use. Now, before everyone who's taken yacht charters fire off angry e-mails, remember I said "official definition." Nowadays, the term is used far more loosely, but if you are rowing a rowboat, you are still considered to be piloting a yacht!

We were told some years ago on a Cunard ship by the engineer that you can put a boat on a ship but you cant put a ship on a boat.

And a submarine is a boat!

Archived