Puffing Billy--Melbourne

Robin7

We were on the Volendam in November and visited Melbourne where we rode Puffing Billy. (Not the greatest shore-ex ever. 1.5 hour bus ride, 12 minute train ride, 1.5 hour bus ride.) But we were at Disneyland a few weeks ago, and I got to chatting with a couple of women from Australia while waiting in a line. I mentioned we'd been to Melbourne (where they were from) and ridden on Puffing Billy. One of them said, "Well, it's all gone now after the bushfires." Did she mean the station and the train as well as the lovely vegetation and trees? I was just wondering. Has anyone been on Puffing Billy lately? I can't find anything on google about it burning.

Robin

Just checked their site...

http://www.puffingbilly.com.au/

and they have the following notice.....

Despite the recent tragic bushfire events, Puffing Billy Railway is fully operational. At times of high fire risk however please contact the Puffing Billy office on 03 9757-0700 during business hours, Monday to Friday or between 9.30am and 12.00 noon on Saturdays, to check the daily timetable.

We just rode it on February 20. We had a wonderful excursion with A Tour With a Difference up into the Dandenong ranges, feeding all of the beautiful birds, visiting Healesville Sanctuary and a wonderful vineyard. It is such a shame what has happened there. Our wonderful guide Brian told us that the fires were started intentionally, some by people throwing out a cigarette to see what would happen. I tried to contact him to see that they were okay but didn't hear back. Could just be busy. I hope he and his wife were not affected. It is such a remarkable area. Hope it recovers quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

We also had a very nice excursion through the cruise line, the same one that CruisinKiki just mentioned. I thought the train ride was much longer or maybe it just felt that way. :D I certainly wouldn't take an excursion just for the Puffing Billy, but bundled with the other things, it is quite nice.

Robin,

Normally the ride on Puffing Billy is much longer than 12 minutes. I hope that the tour took in other aspects of the Dandenong Ranges besides the hour trip up and back. It should have only taken an hour not that extra time anyway.

I do think that sometimes you miss out on the best things by going with the ship. In this case if you only went on Puffing Billy and that is all you did on the excursion then you haven't seen anything of our lovely city which is such a shame.

We have such a lot to show visitors from overseas and even though a lot of our bushland has been devastated by the terrible fires, there is still a lot left and life is getting back to normal once again.

Jennie

Archived