best time of year for a med cruise?

which one do people seem to be the biggest fan of...the one must spot for me is santorini, greece.

Santorini was perfect for us in June because there is such a nice breeze. That's why I am afraid that late October or early November may be too cool for all that wind. Love to sit up high over the cliffs and have a drink with lunch. :)

Go before the kids get out of school and never, never in August, imho. We are returning at the end of April-May 14. Santorini was and is still one of my most favorite places. Just breathtaking and so white and blue, enjoy

haha...we are going before we have kids at all!!

this summer its the monarch

next summer is the honeymoon

2011 med cruise

then babies :)

haha...we are going before we have kids at all!!

this summer its the monarch

next summer is the honeymoon

2011 med cruise

then babies :)

Laura, they didn't mean YOUR babies.

They meant OTHER PEOPLE'S children. :)

(some people find cruises with few children to be more desirable.)

We had very few children on our June cruise. In fact, I am not even sure we had any on our HAL cruise. The Med is just not the type of cruise that MOST cruisers take their children on. Also, the longer the cruise, the least amount of children you will have.

That is probably true for the US cruisers, but not necessarily for the European cruisers.

Laura, they didn't mean YOUR babies.

They meant OTHER PEOPLE'S children. :)

(some people find cruises with few children to be more desirable.)

ah! lol. blonde moment! yeah that would just would be miserable going to all the historical places with a kid thats hanging on me going "i'm tired, my legs hurt, i'm hot, i'm cold, carry me, can i get a snack, can i get a souvenir, are we dont yet!" - i was that kid about 15 years ago!

I think the weather is 1) sometimes just luck and 2) what you like. I prefer warm so that I can be outside by the pool on sea days. My husband loves cooler weather any day of the week. We went in mid September getting home October 1, 2007. We felt so fortunate as our weather was absolutely perfect every single day.

I have also wondered about the average temps in the Med for summer. Eveyone has responded here, but "Warm" or "Cool" can be very subjective.

Could everyone come back please and give temp numbers to give us an idea???

In June or July, are the temps around 80's and 90's?? This would be perfect for me, but some might consider that too hot.

AND what about the water temps in the Med?? We have sailed a lot in the Caribbean where it is always 78 degrees (perfect for scuba or snorkling) Could we expect those water temps in the summer of the Med?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

We went in may,and also in september,and both times it was just right,about 75-80,so i would say end of april till june,or september till mid october,from what i have heard the summers can get very hot and humid,like 95-105,plus most itineraries are port intensive,and hilly,coble streets in places,lots of stair climbing etc etc,have a great time:))))):p

We did early June and the weather was very nice. Mid 70's for the most part. Except for Mykonos where we had 60's, wind and some showers. Santorini is one huge photo op but the most impressive things we saw were 1) Vatican City 2) Ephesus in Turkey 3) The Acropolis in Athens 4) Pompeii.

I just booked a Med cruise from Barcelona , France , Italy , Croatia , Greece Oct 30 thru Nov 11, 2010. Does anyone think this is too late in the year? I know the weather is Luck of the Draw

The weather in this part of the world is like the weather in New York or NJ. Just look at the latitude on the map for NY and follow it around the world to the Med. I would be packing a jacket and would not count on being at the outdoor pool to sunbathe.

The weather in this part of the world is like the weather in New York or NJ. Just look at the latitude on the map for NY and follow it around the world to the Med. I would be packing a jacket and would not count on being at the outdoor pool to sunbathe.

Well, Rome and NYC are at the same latitude, but they do not have identical climates. The Mediterranean Sea provides ameliorating features such as winds from the south, and other features. (I'm not a meteorologist. :))

Suffice it to say that the Mediterranean has a different climate.

:)

I live in South East Spain (Alicante) and our average daytime temperatures are around 15-16 (59-60) in November and December and around 30-33 (86-90) in July and August. Although last July we had temperatures up to 43 (109).

The thing to be aware of is that temperatures at night can go down to around 5 (40) in the winter but never fall much below about 20 (68) in the summer.

Of course, there is never any guarantee with weather but from June to September you can be sure that the Med will not be cold.

60 degrees sounds wonderful for November travel. I am from the south. :D As long as the sun is out, that temperature will be great. It would be cold and dreary in the rain.

On our itinerary (the cruise we are looking into) there is only one sea day, and one evening in port. The rest of the evenings will be spent inside the ship. Although it would be nice to have sunny warm weather for the sea day, we will probably be so exhausted, that we will just want to relax anyplace. :)

Archived