Noordam Mediterranean Questions

giraffenana

We are doing a back-to-back Mediterranean cruise next Sept./Oct. It is a 20 day cruise.

1. Is there a self serve laundry on the Noordam?

2. If not, is there any place that we could do our laundry in Civitavecchia on the

turn-around day?

3. We need an inexpensive hotel in Venice for 2 nights pre-cruise.

4. We need an inexpensive hotel in Rome for 2 nights pre-cruise.

5. How do we get from Rome to Civitavecchia to board our cruise?

6. How do we get from Civitavecchia to the airport in Rome to fly home?

7. Are there any ports that we will need visas, or is our passport sufficient?

We need ideas for excursions in the Ports: Dubrovnik, Corfu, Katakolon, Santorini, Kudasi, Messina, Livorno, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Mallorca, Carthage/Runis, Palermo & Naples.

We rarely do ship's excursions, often do tours offered by "locals" and most often tour on our own.

There's no self-serve laundry on the Noordam (or any Vista ship, for that matter). You can send things to the ship laundry on a per piece basis, or by the bag, or a per cruise package. All have different costs, and pros and cons as to which way might be best for you.

Sorry, I can't help with the remaining questions.

Joyart, Since you asked so nicely, I will spend some time and try to answer most of your questions. But, keep in mind that you can get lots of good port info on the ports/Europe/Med board (I have posted thousands of msgs on that board).

1. The Noordam does not have a self service laundry although you can certainly pay to have your laundry and dry cleaning done.

2. Yes, there is at least one laundromat in Civitavecchia. You would have to take the free port shuttle bus from ship to the port entrance. Walk out of the gates on the left hand side. You will see a road stretching away in front of you and one going up a bit of a hill to your left. Cross this road on your left, then walk up the right hand side of it under the 'collanade'. As soon as you come out from under the collanade, there is a alley/road on your right. About 150 yds down you will see a single storey mainly glass building (which is a restaurant) at the end of the alley (it opens out into a small square just before the restaurant) walk towards it and just before you get to it the laundromat is on your right

3. In Venice you might want to google the Ca Doge hotel. Its a small place located right in the Piazale Roma. The cheap buses from the airport will drop you right in that Piaza and its only a 15 min walk to the ships or a short taxi ride. There are usually free shuttle buses from the Piazale Roma to the cruise ships (not true with Princess).

4. No recommendation

5. The cheapest way from Rome is to take the train from the Rome Termini station to Civitavecchia (usually 1 or 2 trains per hour). From the train station you would have to walk about 4 blocks (its flat) to the port entrance where you can get the free shuttle bus to your ship. Another more expensive option is to arrange for a private car/driver to take you from hotel to ship.

6. This is always a problem. You can either take the cruise ship provided transfer buses or arrange for a private car/driver. There are also taxis at the port that will take you to the airport, but be prepared to pay more than 100 Euros. You should post on the Cruise Critic Roll Call board for your particular ship and you can find others who will want to share transportation (there are usually a few that will make the arrangements).

7. You currrently do not need Visas for those ports.

As to the ports, I could post info on all but Carthage (only place we do not know well) but that question should be addressed on the Ports/Europe/Med board where there are many of us who can answer your questions.

Hank

We are doing a back-to-back Mediterranean cruise next Sept./Oct. It is a 20 day cruise.

1. Is there a self serve laundry on the Noordam?

2. If not, is there any place that we could do our laundry in Civitavecchia on the

turn-around day?

3. We need an inexpensive hotel in Venice for 2 nights pre-cruise.

4. We need an inexpensive hotel in Rome for 2 nights pre-cruise.

5. How do we get from Rome to Civitavecchia to board our cruise?

6. How do we get from Civitavecchia to the airport in Rome to fly home?

7. Are there any ports that we will need visas, or is our passport sufficient?

We need ideas for excursions in the Ports: Dubrovnik, Corfu, Katakolon, Santorini, Kudasi, Messina, Livorno, Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Mallorca, Carthage/Runis, Palermo & Naples.

We rarely do ship's excursions, often do tours offered by "locals" and most often tour on our own.

Last year on our 24 day Mediterranean Cruise unlimited laundry was $120 for the entire time. I think that was a bargain and you should consider it.

It worked out very well for us. We always had clean clothes and we did not have to worry about doing it ourselves in port when there is so much else to do on port days.

Terri

For inexpensive accomodations in Italy you might like to check out Bed and Blessings....these are convents and monastaries that open there doors to travellers for quite reasonable prices.

Here is a link;

http://www.monasterystays.com/

Also here is a link to a review that I thought was very helpful in planning for do-it-yourself (it is not of a HAL cruise but still worthwhile reading);

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=48360

and this is a great one from a HAL cruise with tonnes of information;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=872740

As the previous poster mentioned there is a wealth of information and helpful people on the ports of call boards;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

I am doing the 24 day cruise aboard the Oosterdam on April 25 and my plans are all DYI. If you have any specific questions feel free to email me at rochelleshott@hotmail.com. I have really enjoyed the research part and I am sure you will too. Have a great trip.

Rochelle

Tbriein, We too are going on Holland a 24 day cruise in June. You mentioned the laundry package that you purchased for unlimited laundry for $120. Is this per cabin or per person? If it is per person did you purchase 2?

thanks for any information

The laundry package was $120 per cabin. It was well worth the money. The cruise was great. you will love it.

Terri

As for an inexpensive hotel in Venice, we stayed out by the airport at the Courtyard by Marriott. It was 192 Euros per night. This hotel has to be the cleanest place I have ever stayed in. The staff was great. They also have a restaurant and a coffee shop on the property.

There is a bus accross the street that takes you to the Piazzale Roma where you can board a vaparetto to take you to San Marco or wherever else you want to go in Venice.

The best part is that you don't have to lug your luggage through the streets of Venice and on the vaparetto. They have a complimentary shuttle that takes you to and from the airport as well.

We really liked that hotel.

Terri

Archived