Open Seating

ksaunders

Who's tried Carnival's open seating? That's what I've signed up for and wondering if anyone has any opinions about it.

Hey, you made it! Here is a thread where they're talking about the open seating:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=954521

And here's a review of the Liberty:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=927862

I was wondering this myself. I signed up for early seating, but was wondering if you don't make it in time, if you could just go to the open seating dining room?

I know if you have early seating you can not use the open seating on one night and early seating another night. You have to pick one or the other.

I was wondering this myself. I signed up for early seating, but was wondering if you don't make it in time, if you could just go to the open seating dining room?

There will not be a open seating dining room per my PVP. They are having the open seating in part of the traditional dining room. They will reserve tables for tradional and the rest will be open seating. This way they will not for forcing people into open seating who dont want it like Princess does.

We have done anytime dining on our 3 Princess cruises and loved it. We have requested it on our Legend cruise in Oct.

We loved it on Princess too:) We will be doing it on Royal Caribbean in May and next time I sail Carnival it should be fleet wide........can't wait!

No, you can't. You must select one or the other for the entire week.

If you have early seating and don't make it, there are plenty of other dining options such as the buffet, etc.

No you cannot switch. If you switch you loose your place in the MDR.

The only boats that have it are the Sensation, the Legend, and the Liberty.

I just called Carnival and switched my reservation from 6PM to OPEN.

The guy on the phone said there is NO set dining room that's just for open seating.

He said what they do, is assign you the dining room closest to your cabin. You go there anytime between 5:45PM and 9PM and request to be seated. If a table is available they'll seat you right away, if not, they give you a little beeper thing and when it goes off your table is ready (similar to eating at a regular restaurant).

Who's tried Carnival's open seating? That's what I've signed up for and wondering if anyone has any opinions about it.

If you have ever gone out to dinner at a sit down restaurant on land. And I'm sure you have. You ALREADY know all there is to know about open seating. You show, ask for a table and are seated when one is available. Or you make a reservation ahead of time. Same as anywhere.

Dan

Open Seating Option:

Available now: Legend, Liberty, Sensation, Paradise

Available soon:

Carnival Miracle 3/29/09

Carnival Elation 4/26/09

Carnival Conquest 4/26/09

Carnival Pride 4/27/09

Carnival Spirit 6/03/09

Carnival Fantasy 6/13/09

Carnival Dream 9/18/09

I wish the Valor would have open seat dining when I sail next month. I'm not a fan of eating with strangers. I am really picky when it comes to my dinner company cause too many people have awful manners/eating habits.

You also could go to the dining room between 1:30 - 4:30 (?) and request table for 2 or whatever you need. We did that on our January cruise on Valor.

If you do open seating is it the same as RCCL where you pay the tip for the Dining Room when you pay final booking?

I may be sailing the Dream in 2010 and if there are lots of speciality restaurants I may not be in the DR every night and the three 16 year olds may not eat with us every night.

Thanks.

If you do open seating is it the same as RCCL where you pay the tip for the Dining Room when you pay final booking?

I may be sailing the Dream in 2010 and if there are lots of speciality restaurants I may not be in the DR every night and the three 16 year olds may not eat with us every night.

Thanks.

On Carnival, the gratuities are $10 per person per day, and are automatically charged to your S&S account (onboard charge account) on embarkation day.

It breaks down like this:

$5.50 Dining room waiter and assistant

$3.50 Cabin steward and assistant

$1.00 Other kitchen and hotel staff

There is only 1 specialty restaurant on Carnival ships, which is an additional $30 per person and is called the Supper Club. Other than that, there is the Lido buffet, poolside grill, fish & chips station, pizza, all of which is included in your cruise fare.

As far as not eating in the dining room every night, most of the waiters in the dining room are also working during breakfast and lunch in the Lido buffet or dining room.

Archived