Would you spend 37k in a PS on a 14 night cruise for 5 pax?

There are so many other things I could do with that kind of money.. pay off all the credit cards, pay down tthe mortgage, put some money away for retirement. To my mind, that makes so much more sense.

Last year, my mother paid about $10,000 for our whole family (14 of us) to go on the Granduer. She paid for Oceanview, and we all upgraded to balcony, at our own cost. The kids stayed in Inside cabins. We had just as much fun, and as many memories as paying $37,000- although the digs were potentially less extravagant.

Off topic, I keep thinking about the thread where a woman who bought a 1-week cruise on Oasis in one of the loft suites, and paid $13,000 for it- for 1 week. Her last comment was "Now, I have to find a way to pay for it"

Stupid, just stupid

We are booked on the Indy on her 25 April cruising (Med). We are currently booked in a category FS (Royal Family Suite) which costs us about 16k for the 5 of us. That's perfectly fine, this breaks down to 1600 per person per week which is ok for a med cruise, I think.

We just saw that RCL has opened booking on all suites, so there is no minimum of guests required to book the Presidental Family Suite. So far, so good. The PS would cost us 37000... :eek:

Would you go for it, considering it's you mother-in-law's birthday (she turns 60 while on the cruise) and your 5th wedding anniversary? Is there a chaper way to get this suite? I guess it's not an option to book it for two and put the other three in an inside stateroom (theoretically) and let them stay "illegally" in the PS... :p (would still cost us about 31k...)

Any opinion is appreciated!

In your situation, I would actually do something completely different.

I looked at your sailing, and you could get two side-by-side Grand Suites for $22,800. You will have more square footage than the Royal Family Suite, and the two bathrooms will be MUCH nicer and MUCH larger than either bathroom in the Royal Family Suite. With side-by-side suites, you may be able to get permission to open the balcony partitions.

For me, that would be BY FAR preferable to the RFS. You wouldn't be compromising AT ALL on your accommodations - and you could have some absolutely incredible Mediterranean excursions with that $14,000!!!!

Wow, lots of replies... I'm a bit overwhelmed, to be honest... :)

First of all, we decided to stay in our lovely Royal Family Suite. It's just not worth the money to upgrade, although I would LOVE to watch sunsets from my very own jacuzzi... :p

When we first booked this cruise, we booked two adjoining /connected Junior Suites. Then we decided, we needed more space... ;)

@ Merion_Mom: Two Grand Suites are not an option, because they do not have a connecting door. I know this would be the nicer option, because both bedrooms would have a window / balcony access, but we travel with our 2.5 year old son who will sleep in one room while we parents or my parents-in-law will use the other room to watch tv or read or do whatever they do. So it's crucial to have (at least) two connecting rooms.

@ DanielleRB: How cool is that? We ARE booked in room 8414! Please be nice to our room and don't make any stains... :p

@ SusieV: I would LOVE to do a Panama Canal cruise, but we live in Europe and are not ready to take such a long flight with our 2.5 year old. Plus, my in-laws refuse to fly into the United States... And since it's my mother-in-law's birthday gift she chose the itinerary! ;)

Thanks everyone for your opinions, they actually helped a lot to decide!

Gabriela

First of all, we decided to stay in our lovely Royal Family Suite. It's just not worth the money to upgrade, although I would LOVE to watch sunsets from my very own jacuzzi... :p

@ DanielleRB: How cool is that? We ARE booked in room 8414! Please be nice to our room and don't make any stains... :p

Gabriela

Gabriela,

I know what you mean about the jacuzzi...maybe RCCL will upgrade you (and/or us) anyway...one can always hope!

We will be very good to your room...promise! In fact, when we are on board I will have my youngest son, Connor (he is 6) do a drawing for your family and put it in the bible...sort of a "welcome" message! I have read about people doing that on CC before but never known if someone would be on CC and then in our cabin afterwards...so this will be fun for us.

We also booked the RFS because we couldn't do adjoining and take the chance that our son would lock the door from the inside...plus we have an older son in a wheelchair who is always most comfortable in the room crusing around on the floor or playing his piano (yes we take an electric keyboard with us on every trip - eek the luggage!)...so having more space matters for us.

Have a fantastic vacation! It sounds like the ports will be amazing.

Dani

Goodness. What a question.

Personally I don't have that kind of money but I do understand the concept of a holiday of a lifetime. I would love to be able to do that kind of trip and am planning something on a much MUCH smaller scale for my own 60th.

quote]

On a Regents Park pedallo? ROTFL

Goodness. What a question.

Personally I don't have that kind of money but I do understand the concept of a holiday of a lifetime. I would love to be able to do that kind of trip and am planning something on a much MUCH smaller scale for my own 60th.

quote]

On a Regents Park pedallo? ROTFL

Regents Park pedallo LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

sorry for my dleay in replying.

8414 was lucky for us, so i'll keep my fingers crossed for you all to get 6414 instead.

you won't need to worry about privacy issues there is just soooo much space.

We got to the pier at about midday I beleive, poss just after.

The concierge will have emailed you asking if you want reservations etc, I'd be tempted to let slip in a reply about the celebrations, it can't do any harm.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise x

sorry for my dleay in replying.

8414 was lucky for us, so i'll keep my fingers crossed for you all to get 6414 instead.

you won't need to worry about privacy issues there is just soooo much space.

We got to the pier at about midday I beleive, poss just after.

The concierge will have emailed you asking if you want reservations etc, I'd be tempted to let slip in a reply about the celebrations, it can't do any harm.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise x

Thanks Lizbug! How early did you hear from the concierge? We are leaving in 2 weeks and haven't heard from them yet. Just wondering...great idea about mentioning celebrations. It is my DH's 50th birthday on our 2nd day onboard...also our 10th anniversary.

I need to start packing now! :)

I think that you already have a good cabin and the extra you would pay for the PS is not worth it.

Have you ever walked all the way back to the Presidential Suite???...it is a very long walk. Personally, I am not crazy about the room layout. The only thing I like about the PS is the aft deck. If you received some extra amenities, such as a complete bar set up, a butler and some other extras...then I think it would be more worth while. If you had 8 people...then maybe it would be worth it. I think you are just fine the way you are.

Archived