European Ports - Credit card pin required

Embracedbylife

I've read that some european countries require a pin for you to use your credit card (not debit). I have used my credit card in england, and germany without needing a pin. Does anyone know if you require a pin to use your credit card in these countries: Denmark, Sweeden, Finland, Russia, Estonia, Polan, Norway.

thanks!

I've read that some european countries require a pin for you to use your credit card (not debit). I have used my credit card in england, and germany without needing a pin. Does anyone know if you require a pin to use your credit card in these countries: Denmark, Sweeden, Finland, Russia, Estonia, Polan, Norway.

thanks!

I called MasterCard and asked this very question. They said the only time you would need a PIN would be if you were trying to get cash at an ATM. If you were just trying to make a standard purchase, you would not need anything. She did say that you should notify your issuer if you are going to make purchases internationally because the fraud division will sometimes shut off an account if you don't normally have international charges. (As a protection against credit card theft).

Also....check how many digits are used in European ATM Pins. Originally my bank card pin was six digits...but when I inquired at my bank they suggested I shorten it to 4. I did and had no trouble withdrawing money.

I did not need a pin for my Visa card in Paris last year...I needed a pin for my bank card to withdraw money only.

HR

thanks!

Most places in UK now require you to use a pin number for credit and debit cards and a lot of places are phasing out the use of cheques as well. Don't really know about the countries you mention. In UK the pin numbers are 4 digits.

If your credit card has an IC chip on, you have the options when purchasing 1) enter your pin number if you remember or know:p, or 2) sign on your purchase slip, assuming the stor you are has the latest terminal. We have these in Canada, but not like quite often like Europe or Asia though....

I travel to England a lot, and when I am travelling with my new Visa card with the chip in, I have to use my PIN which is four digits to make any purchase with it. All the stores in England seem to have the technology to do this, but who knows what happens in other countries. Similarly, when I am using my British or Canadian bank card in a cash machine, I have to use a four digit PIN--but we are all used to that. In fact, I am much happier when you have to use a PIN with a credit card, because then I know it is protected compared to one where just your signature is required.

Europe is switching to chip cards. In fact, a lot of Europe has already switched. This is an anti-fraud measure. If you have a chip card, then you are already familiar with entering a PIN during a transaction.

That being said, if you have a credit card issued by a US bank, then 99.999% of you don't have a chip card. The US will be switching to chip cards, but they are at least a couple of years away. It is a big expense to the merchants and acquirers to change the POS "swipe" systems.

If you do not have a chip card (in most designs you can see the chip), you will NOT need to enter a PIN when making a POS (retail) transaction. You will only need to enter a PIN when you use an ATM machine to get cash or perform transactions.

thanks!

I hope this is just some confusion in terms. For instance in The Netherlands they have a credit card called by the locals a "PIN card", which draws directly on their bank accounts similar to our VISA or whatever checking cards or is a chip card with preloaded cash value. So the standard is to use the card, which will have a VISA or MC symbol on it, and then be required to enter your PIN. We have family there and they advised us that our VISA checking card does not work with their PIN system, which is supported by their banks only, not those across the pond. The number of digits required for the PIN authorization is different than ours.

We were able to use our VISA/MC credit cards (not our checking card) for some restaurants, but for others the choice was local PIN card or cash. So it is best to check at the start of your meal what they will or will not accept in payment. I had one meal where we ended up scrambling through all our wallets to get enough cash to pay.

We were able to use our Wells Fargo Visa / checking card at local ATM's using our normal PIN number and get cash in that fashion.

This is a great clarification, thank you so much! I have a debit card that also can be used as a mastercard but linked to my checking account, so maybe these are the cards they are referring to that require a PIN which makes sense. It seem that regular credit cards that are not linked to a checking account and that are issued in the US are good without a PIN. I think it's all a matter of wording like you all said, but just wanted to make sure :) Your info is really helpful!!

The train stations in Italy and apparently France as well only take Credit Cards that have a chip protected four digit pin associated with it. I just would rather have that safety cushion in case I run into a situation where I may need to use it. The CC company sent me one within a week of requesting it. Peace of mind. If I don't need the chip, great, but if I do, thank goodness!

This is a great clarification, thank you so much! I have a debit card that also can be used as a mastercard but linked to my checking account, so maybe these are the cards they are referring to that require a PIN which makes sense. It seem that regular credit cards that are not linked to a checking account and that are issued in the US are good without a PIN. I think it's all a matter of wording like you all said, but just wanted to make sure :) Your info is really helpful!!

Hi this isn't the case for the UK. We use 4 digit pin on both these types of cards ie regular credit cards as well. Some places will allow you to sign but it's at the stores discretion. I would set up a pin.

Hi all, We are Canadians, presently travelling in Portugal and France. Our credit cards do not have the chip + pin, although I understand that is coming next year. We have no problem using our cc, just press the OK button twice, then sign the slip. Occasionally on the French autoroutes, one Visa card was rejected but another one was ok. Mastercard is also widely accepted, Amex not in many places. WE always make sure we have sufficient cash when going to a restaurant, as sometimes their little charge machines don't work. Hope this helps, Cheers!

Archived