Economic and Climate Change Forum in Italy this July

spongerob

I just saw on the news that an economic and climate change forum is scheduled sometime in July in Italy. 16 countries and the UN will be represented. This concerns me a little since we are booked on a Mediterranean cruise in July which of course stops in Italy, and conferences like this are ALWAYS accompanied by protests and trouble makers. So, perhaps a heads-up is in order here. I'm already expecting that our visits to Rome and Livorno might be disrupted, depending on the dates of this conference.

Where is your sense of adventure. The smell of burning rubber from cars, tear gas and the nice sound of a city getting washed down with water cannons would make your trip that much more memorable.

We once got rushed out of the US Capital by heavily armed machine gun carrying agents since someone left a diaper bag in the gift shop. We still laugh about that every time we think about it.

I say go have fun and enjoy.

Arn't you just looking for trouble? It you are THAT concerned then don't go.
Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed...:rolleyes:

No, I'm not looking for trouble, but if need be I will have to look for alternatives for plans we have already made.

Where is your sense of adventure. The smell of burning rubber from cars, tear gas and the nice sound of a city getting washed down with water cannons would make your trip that much more memorable.

A little splash from a water cannon might be a nice way to cool down on a hot day. :)

Arn't you just looking for trouble? It you are THAT concerned then don't go.

This comes from the same person who on 2/11 was asking about the safety of Mexican ports! Why is it OK for you to ask safety questions and not someone else?

Based on the above comments, I would strongly suggest that Cruise Critic monitor each thread.

Unfortunately, it appears that many are not well traveled and don’t realize the danger and harm Americans face in many countries, especially today. We have had unpleasant incidents in Tangiers. Although we might venture again into Tangier, certainly on guard and with an organized group.

I understand the concerns expressed in your thread, but I don’t understand some of the responses nor do I find then funny. This is not the place to be a comedian.

I think the OP is right to be a little concerned - heck, I'm a bit nervious about this next week in London and I live here! I actually feel a bit sorry for all the tourists in town during this time, since it is likely going to be "transport chaos" for most of the week with all the extra searches.

Spongerob, I would keep an eye on things as the date gets closer and maybe give your cruiseline/TA a call the week or so before and see what they think. They would also have more details on security arrangements at that point as well.

One thing you can be sure of, Princess will skip any port if there are security concerns and will cancel any Princess sponsored shore excursion if there is a hint of danger.
Very true. But Rob is right to be concerned; Italy is well-known for sudden strikes or other disruption and who knows what will set them off? His post as a heads-up is very timely and appropriate since some people might not have been aware of this and made plans that could be disrupted. Woulda / Coulda / Shoulda isn't a reason to cancel your cruise or cruise elsewhere; just be aware and prepared to be flexible.

I just saw on the news that an economic and climate change forum is scheduled sometime in July in Italy. 16 countries and the UN will be represented. This concerns me a little since we are booked on a Mediterranean cruise in July which of course stops in Italy, and conferences like this are ALWAYS accompanied by protests and trouble makers. So, perhaps a heads-up is in order here. I'm already expecting that our visits to Rome and Livorno might be disrupted, depending on the dates of this conference.

Unless you are in Sardinia between 6-10th July 2009, there will be no impact to cruisers anywhere in Italy.

We are scheduled to stop in Sardinia, but about 2 weeks after the conferences. Maybe they'll have things settled down be then. The last time on of the "G" conferences was held in Italy it wasn't pretty.

Addicted...no worries. Hope things work out for you.

Archived