Disembarkation time London (Dover)

DOJO466

We are on the Jun 29th Stockholm to London trip. Ship arrives in London @ 4am. What is the latest time we have to vacate our room. Our flight is mid afternoon so we are not in any big rush. We will have private transport.

Hi Debbie & Jimmy!

Sheesh you guys are cruising a ton this year! Good for you!

If we might make a suggestion, see if your private transport can take you sightseeing up near the airport on that day.

The traffic is so unpredictable, going from Dover towards London that you're better off to be "waiting" closer to the airport, than at the ship.

This way, if the traffic is a breeze, you'll get a few hours in Windsor or Hampton Court. If it is horrendous, you forget the sightseeing, go directly to the airport and don't have to worry about missing your flight.

On our Baltic Cruise in '07, it took us 6 HOURS to get from Dover to central London (we left the ship at 8AM). We did not see any accidents or closed roads, just VERY heavy volume.

Better safe than sorry, right?

Hi Stan & Jim

You are right about better safe than sorry seeing that we will be doing the "OJ dash" thru Schiphol as you know.

We did think about a tour on our way to LHR. Thank you for suggesting it. I guess we will rethink our disembarkation time as the last time we were in London traffic was terrible too.

Yes we are taking quite the number of cruises which were unexpected. We booked the 2010 Mia-Barcelonia next year as the price certainly was right. Seeing that our 401K is now a 40K we decided what the heck...Spend a little on us now while we can. It's better than having it vanish in the market.:cool:

• 1 month later...
we too are on that cruise. are you considering the moscow trip?

No, we will be concentrating our three days on the "comfort tour" with Alla as I am sure there will be a lot to see. Perhaps I would consider Moscow if DH would agree to another Baltic trip in the future:p. Our roll call is a very quiet one isn't it? Debbie

No, we will be concentrating our three days on the "comfort tour" with Alla as I am sure there will be a lot to see. Perhaps I would consider Moscow if DH would agree to another Baltic trip in the future:p. Our roll call is a very quiet one isn't it? Debbie

Debbie,

I think you are making the right decision. There is so much to do and see in St. Petersburg that 3 days is barely enough.

We really enjoyed Alla's tour.

Trip to Moscow is too hectic - better saved for another trip (maybe a river cruise?). JMO.

Have fun!

Debbie-

I think you were just spoiled for all other Roll-Calls when you sailed with both LHT AND us! :D

By they way, the folks who did the Moscow overnight tour on our '07 Baltic cruise absolutely hated it. There was a lot of demanding of refunds, and threatening of law suits at the excursion desk, in fact.

From what they told us, considering the price of the excursion, the air arrangements (through Aeroflot I think they said) were distinctly non deluxe and uncomfortable. -It cannot be this bad in reality, but they were saying that the seats on the Russian planes were so cramped that they made American Airlines Tourist Class look like First Class.

The hotel was boarding house standard, and they felt horribly rushed because after transportation and hotel check in they were only left with about 61/2 hours to see the city.

Of course, they did love the Kremlin and Lenins tomb et al, but seemed to agree that flying in overnight from St. Petersburg was a mistake.

Honestly, with the prices on Russian River cruises being the bargain that they are:

http://www.scantours.com/russian_river_cruise.htm

We'd be tempted to book one that ends or begins in Moscow, and just poke around the city for a few days.

Have a wonderful Cruise and please send our best to Jimmy ;)

There's a special exhibition at Hampton Court at the moment: Henry VIII Man & Monarch, to commemmorate the 500th anniversary of his accession to the throne

Do you know how long it will be running -we'll be there at the end of July.

Thanks.

When we do the Dover round trip NEXT year, we plan to stay the night of disembarkation at Heathrow and fly back the next morning. Don't need the hassle of trying to plan for a flight out on the day we get into Dover. Too many variables.

Debbie,

I think you are making the right decision. There is so much to do and see in St. Petersburg that 3 days is barely enough.

We really enjoyed Alla's tour.

Trip to Moscow is too hectic - better saved for another trip (maybe a river cruise?). JMO.

Have fun!

Paul/Stan/jim we will eventually be doing a River trip. We had always thought that this was an "old people thing"...thing is... we are "old people" and are looking into this more as knees wear out (hips too). Thanks for the site Stan/Jim and yes they look very tempting. What is more tempting is that DH work is now changing vac time to "use it or lose it" which for us is a plus. DH was never allowed more than 2 weeks at a time and now being forced to use it, perhaps they will give us more time? Who knows.. we are thankful to have jobs right now. Deb

Well, this is only hearsay, but I understand that there really is nothing much to see between St. Petersburg and Moscow, which is why a river cruise there never has appealed to me.

However, my three days in St. Petersburg several years ago (while on a Scandinavian trip with my sister) certainly whetted my appetite for a return visit someday. All the improvements funded by Mr. Putin (or, more precisely, his government) for his hometown for the 300th anniversary celebrations in 2003 certainly are wonderful.

There's a special exhibition at Hampton Court at the moment: Henry VIII Man & Monarch, to commemmorate the 500th anniversary of his accession to the throne

Thanks, ancientmariner, wish I could see it. Between the TV series, the movie with Natalie Portman, and the popularity of the Philippa Gregory series of books in the US, the interest in Henry VIII is stronger than ever here.

the moscow trip for the 6/29/09 trip is not an overnight. it is 16 hours. not sure if we are doing is , but we did want to get a taste of moscow. to debbie hope to meet you. any other trips on the ship planned?

Archived