Reading more and more about Cuba re: travel bans being lifted...

MamaParrotHead

If that happens before summer, how long until you think Carnival switches some itineraries to head there? Does Cuba need to put anything in place before this would be possible? Because of the depressed economy, do you think that would limit Cuba's potential for tourism/capacity for the hospitality industry?

I think it's kind of exciting and I think the best way to shed light on what is, or isn't, ACTUALLY going on there is to have tourists in and out on any given day of the week.

Any guesses, thoughts, input?

I think it's kind of exciting and I think the best way to shed light on what is, or isn't, ACTUALLY going on there is to have tourists in and out on any given day of the week.

There are already plenty of Canadian tourists there on any given day of the week.

That may be why I haven't heard anything about it then. :p

ETA: the statistic I found was 1.8 million Canadians per year, which is 4931 per day. That's like 2 mid-sized cruise ships. I'm thinking that figure would go up more than a bit if the ban was lifted.

They MUST already have the port infrastructure in place. Look at how many people per year leave the island by some sort of watercraft. :eek:

LOL HAHA!! You're funny!! Do you think they have a smooth embarkation process? J/K

Actually going to Cuba would be neat but I do wonder if those tourists that currently go there actually SEE what is really going on??

My guess would be 6-9 months if the ports are available. I read somewhere that all the major cruise lines had contingency plans for visiting Cuba in place somewhere. I can see a huge influx very, very quickly!

We hope that it's quick and soon, we'll be first in line. Would LOVE to visit Cuba!!!!

Lolylew what do you mean "really going on?"

It's a communist country the same as China, and China has A LOT of bad stuff "going on" yet they host thousands of visitors any given year.

I guess I don't get the comment? The fact that they are communist and therefore lack a basic respect for individual rights and commit atrocities against individuals that don't follow the regimes rules?

Would that stop you from visiting there? I guess for me I see it as you just aren't going to change anything by not going there and you may give the people living there a little help by spending your vacation dollars there.

But the things "really going on" there are happening in MANY other areas of this world, read about Sudan lately? People still visit the lands.

JMO, Carole

Lolylew what do you mean "really going on?"

Hey no biggie. I was really just parroting what Mamaparrothead said about whether or not the tourists that go to Cuba actually see what the island is really like (since I am of the opinion that the gov't probably just parades out the "best" of Cuba instead of people getting to see it for what it really is). :D

Cuba is great as a Canadian we travel there freely now,

just like any other caribbean destination you have been too, it will be the same for cuba ...yes there is poor and economy issues ....however Cuba has so so so much to offer..Varadero, Cayo Coco, Holguin...Havana ....

Hope Carnival ports there if and when the US can travel there !!!

and NO you see TRUE CUBA not just what the government want you to see... and contrary to popular belief people really love Castro and love Cuba

They MUST already have the port infrastructure in place. Look at how many people per year leave the island by some sort of watercraft. :eek:

Is there a steel drum band playing at "SailAway?"

Do they have a Mustard Drill?

Dan

If that happens before summer, how long until you think Carnival switches some itineraries to head there? Does Cuba need to put anything in place before this would be possible? Because of the depressed economy, do you think that would limit Cuba's potential for tourism/capacity for the hospitality industry?

We go to Cuba on a yearly Basis!

I have been to various parts of Cuba. I like Varadeo the best.

Cuba is always packed with Canadians and European tourists!

It is very inexpensive to travel too.

The beaches are beautiful !!!

We usually pay under $900 a person Canadian ($720 Us approx) for a 5-star resort all-inclusive.

Because of the depressed economy, do you think that would limit Cuba's potential for tourism/capacity for the hospitality industry?

They already have things in place to support tourism. Canadians travel there all the time. There are quite a few resorts.

ETA: the statistic I found was 1.8 million Canadians per year, which is 4931 per day. That's like 2 mid-sized cruise ships. I'm thinking that figure would go up more than a bit if the ban was lifted.

I'm guessing most of those Canadians stay longer than one day! Maybe more like a week, in which case it's closer to 35,000 Canadians on any given day, not to mention Europeans and others (assuming your figure of 1.8 million is total number of Canadians who visit in a year, not "Canadian-days").

and NO you see TRUE CUBA not just what the government want you to see... and contrary to popular belief people really love Castro and love Cuba

Yes, yes, that must explain why so many are willing to risk their lives to escape illegally. Or, why families like my sister-in-law's spent years going through the process and filing the paperwork to leave legally!

Maybe some love Castro and love Cuba, but I don't think you can make a sweeping generalization.

We docked in Havanna, Cuba in Jan. 2000 as part of the Semester at Sea program (educational - before these visits were stopped :D). The docking facilities are probably still mostly in place but i don't know if they can handle to bigger cruise ships.

I enjoyed Cuba and wouldn't mind going back.

Vice President Joe Biden is attending a Progressive Goverance Summit in Chile. VP Joe Biden was asked if the new administration was going to lift Cuban restrictions. He said, "No."

The Obama admin believes that the Cuban people should determine their fate and be able to live in freedom.

That should answer that....unless your station at Gitmo, invited prisoner, Canadian or have a Motel 6 reservation...

As said by a few before, Cuba one of the most beautiful places. They have recently changed the restrictions to travel once every 12 months, but you must have a blood relative. I have traveled there and would book the first cruise as well. I hope that businesses are not let in to ruin the authentic culture of the people. Just my opinion.:rolleyes:

Archived