1st Lady wearing white . . . already!

nitnyleo

I have to agree with other posters that here in the UK we don't really have a problem in wearing white at this time of year.

I have seen many posts on CC referring to wearing white before Memorial Day etc - please excuse my ignorance but what is Memorial Day and why does wearing white have a relevance to this?

I personally think that Michelle Obama has great style and her outfit this morning at Downing Street, the mint green skirt and peach/pink sparkly cardigan looked absolutely fantastic and was totally appropriate for the lovely Spring day that we have today in the UK.

There was some talk first thing this am on TV that todays outfit was from a USA high street chain store - JCrew? is this correct? She certainly outshone Sarah Brown in her drab outfit!!

It has been said that the First Lady will only wear designs/clothing from the United States, so perhaps the outfit is from JCrew...especially during this time of ecomonic distress. JCrew is known to be reasonably priced and if the outfit is from there, I have to give the First Lady props for showing that budget shopping can look FABULOUS! :D

I heard that the Brits call Michelle Obama "Lady McBeth". The main stream American media dosen't report that. It wouldn't surprise me if she showed up in shorts and tennis shoes to see the Queen, that seems about her speed.

Unbelievable.:(

I seem to recall someone;) saying it was impolite, rude, ill-mannered distasteful and improper to make comments about people's clothes who don't follow your fashion tastes, not that she would EVER show up in tennis shoes and shorts, and those who did are usually very insecure and have to level others down to them.

Unbelievable.:(

I seem to recall someone;) saying it was impolite, rude, ill-mannered distasteful and improper to make comments about people's clothes who don't follow your fashion tastes, not that she would EVER show up in tennis shoes and shorts, and those who did are usually very insecure and have to level others down to them.

Yes, by that very same poster. Inconvenient sometimes having one's posts archived here, isn't it? :p

OMG who cares?

Best response yet!

Poor Michelle O .... it seems she will never please everyone. I wonder if she stays up late worrying about it ? I suspect not, I suspect she is more sophisticated than that.

And more self-confident too!

I agree that the 'white' rule is outdated, though I probably wouldn't wear a bright summery white in the winter, just because it would look funny to me--and wouldn't be warm enough.

Winter whites or white in fabrics suitable to the season look fine. And if it's really hot, even in Oct., I'd wear summer whites. (for casual, at home wear)

Also, what is the deal about showing the arms? I know some churches or other religious houses prohibit bare arms, but I don't believe I have ever heard that this is improper otherwise, in western culture. A tank top or spaghetti strap top would be unsuitable for meeting the queen, or any other occasion other than casual, but not just a sleeveless dress or blouse.

Jackie O often wore sleeveless dresses! To political events!

Guest TropicOne
Obviously the snarky posts are from those whose real issue is that she and her husband are in the White House to begin with. I didn't vote for him, but I would hope people have better things to do on a cruise board than to snipe at what the First Lady wears on a trip abroad. Let's face it, it's been one long trip downhill since Jackie. :p

Very observant of you linda_22003 and I agree 110 %. Seeing how the First Lady dresses made me think of Jackie Kennedy.I find the First Lady's style of dress very modern and fresh.A far cry from the "matronly style " of the past First Ladies.

I'm intrigued as to who makes these rules about "Labor day" (whatever that is). Do people really live by these stupid rules and do others actually look down on those who transgress? My goodness Michelle Obama is a beautiful woman of whom you should all be proud! The mind boggles that in times of war, financial meltdown, poverty and famine the fact that Mrs. Obama chose to wear WHITE!!!!!:mad: is of any importance at all. Unbelievable.

The only one that seems to find importance in Michelle Obama wearing white is the OP.

I think she looks great. The Queen has arms, so i think she will be ok with seeing the first lady's. If she shows up in a tank top/belly shirt then we have a problem, if she wears the style of clothes she has been wearing I think international relations with England will remain good.

Best post so far !!!

Very observant of you linda_22003 and I agree 110 %. Seeing how the First Lady dresses made me think of Jackie Kennedy.I find the First Lady's style of dress very modern and fresh.A far cry from the "matronly style " of the past First Ladies.

I agree. I think Mrs Obama looked great and usually always does. So much better than the matronly look that we've had before she came along!

I actually read every post thinking the OP would announce "April Fools"!

Nope, silly me, guess I'm the fool. This is 2009, correct? :confused:

Karen,:) if you feel that way, many of us are with you.

But we are NOT fools and yes, it is 2009.

Everyone has their own opinions about all of this stuff...you

know what the say about opinions, right?;)

Oh, from what I have read, The Queen took a liking very

much to Michelle and would like to keep in touch.

Not sure who mentioned the height difference but I definitely

noticed that too. Michelle is quite tall and I am guessing the

Queen is on the shorter side.

Tennis shoes to the Palace? I believe she knows better than that

and for those of you who are so upset and concerned about her

style and choice of dresses, I am glad I don't feel that way.

And I seriously doubt she worries about it either. She shows

class and self-confidence.

I guess Jackie went through the same fire? Or probably not......

No matter how you look at it...Michelle is "The First"....

Although, why have I seen so many pictures of Jackie in

sleeveless dresses too?

They both look fantastic in them:) (In my opinion of course).

The First Lady knows what is appropriate for particular events (while shorts aren't appropriate for every occasion, ball gowns aren't either) and what is appropriate for her body. I am glad to see her showing a style that is in keeping with her personality, her confidence, and the power and position she has.

I wouldn't wear many of the things she does, but that's because I don't have the body she has, the coloring she has, or the money to afford her wardrobe. If I did, I'd probably be wearing similiar stuff.

I heard that the Brits call Michelle Obama "Lady McBeth". The main stream American media dosen't report that. It wouldn't surprise me if she showed up in shorts and tennis shoes to see the Queen, that seems about her speed.

As another poster pointed out, only one right wing column call her Lady Macbeth. In fact the majority of Brits were overjoyed that Mr Obama was elected, ending years of madness perpetrated by the Bush administration. I only wish he was British and we could have him instead of Brown!! As for his lovely, intelligent and gracious wife. Her Majesty the Queen was bowled over by her and even broke protocol to ask her to privately keep in touch. Just think what Palin might have done. :D

Welcome back to the world!! :)

Actually, she stepped off the plane last night wearing -

85739200.jpg

No white in sight here!

She then had breakfast with the Prime Minister and his wife, Sarah wearing -

85744941.jpg

This was before visiting a hospital with Sarah Brown. It is a beautiful spring day here in London and Mrs Obama's morning outfit was entirely appropriate for the weather and occasion. She certainly outshone her British counter-part!

She will be changing before meeting Her Majesty the Queen this afternoon for tea.

Will be interesting to compare Mrs Obama and the very glam former model Madame Sarkozy!

Anyway, I always thought that the white reference was to shoes?

Wow!! She looks stunning, very stylish , personally, I think she is wearing very suitable clothing and most us Brits think she is very classy.:) The president also looks stylish, he always looks imaculate.

Wow!! She looks stunning, very stylish , personally, I think she is wearing very suitable clothing and most us Brits think she is very classy.:) The president also looks stylish, he always looks imaculate.

I ditto all your comments......wow, she looks great!

As for her arms, well I personally have those nasty chicken wing, FAT arms, and I would lay down and die for arms like hers! If ya got 'em, flaunt 'em, I say!

I am SO proud that she is my First Lady! She's gorgeous, inside and out!

I ditto all your comments......wow, she looks great!

As for her arms, well I personally have those nasty chicken wing, FAT arms, and I would lay down and die for arms like hers! If ya got 'em, flaunt 'em, I say!

I am SO proud that she is my First Lady! She's gorgeous, inside and out!

Yes, I would be proud too and their children are so cute.:)

Michelle Obama left town in a big white coat . . . arrives in London wearing a skimpy white blouse (or something) . . . bad enough that Memorial Day is 60 days away; but, we haven't even observed Easter, yet...what is she thinking?

And, I suppose she will be exposing (showing off) her arms to Queen Elizabeth. :( It is one thing to show your own style; it is another, to totally ignore good taste.

I hate to say it but I will not wearing any coats I HOPE after Memorial day WHITE or NOT unless perhaps if I live in the arctic or Alaska.

People wear white blouses in the winter all the time. As long as it is long sleeved who cares? Watch What Not To Wear.

Thank goodness I do not have to live my life in the public eye.

I feel that white can be worn year-round now. "Winter Whites & Ivory are perfectly acceptable.

I'm sure that Mrs. Obama will wear sleeves when being presented to the Queen. She should receive "Coaching" before her visit to the palace.

Barb

Hense the term "winter white".

I think the "no white after Labor Day' date=' or before Memorial Day" is a thing of the past. To me, the style of the outfit, and not so much the color, dictates the seasonality, so to speak.

I think a sleeveless dress is out of place in both DC and England for this time of year. Isn't it chilly? (Here in FL it would be fine.) Again, TO ME, it's not so much the color, as the style. JMHO.[/quote']

I live in GA and the rule here was you could wear white shoes again on Easter Sunday-we did not have to wait until Memorial Day. Now that was when I was a kid in the 60's when those rules were still around.

Karen,:) if you feel that way, many of us are with you.

But we are NOT fools and yes, it is 2009.

Everyone has their own opinions about all of this stuff...you

know what the say about opinions, right?;)

Oh, from what I have read, The Queen took a liking very

much to Michelle and would like to keep in touch.

Not sure who mentioned the height difference but I definitely

noticed that too. Michelle is quite tall and I am guessing the

Queen is on the shorter side.

Tennis shoes to the Palace? I believe she knows better than that

and for those of you who are so upset and concerned about her

style and choice of dresses, I am glad I don't feel that way.

And I seriously doubt she worries about it either. She shows

class and self-confidence.

I guess Jackie went through the same fire? Or probably not......

No matter how you look at it...Michelle is "The First"....

Although, why have I seen so many pictures of Jackie in

sleeveless dresses too?

They both look fantastic in them:) (In my opinion of course).

Thanks, Lois! Glad to hear I'm not living in the Twilight Zone (as the theme music plays in my head)!

Yes, the press is saying they got along famously. Their height difference is almost comical. :D

Personally, I think our First Lady is fabulous! ;)

Archived