1st Lady wearing white . . . already!

nitnyleo

Michelle Obama left town in a big white coat . . . arrives in London wearing a skimpy white blouse (or something) . . . bad enough that Memorial Day is 60 days away; but, we haven't even observed Easter, yet...what is she thinking?

And, I suppose she will be exposing (showing off) her arms to Queen Elizabeth. :( It is one thing to show your own style; it is another, to totally ignore good taste.

I feel that white can be worn year-round now. "Winter Whites & Ivory are perfectly acceptable.

I'm sure that Mrs. Obama will wear sleeves when being presented to the Queen. She should receive "Coaching" before her visit to the palace.

Barb

As she is in England I really dont think it matters about wearing white, we dont seem to have the same 'rules' about it as you do in America.

I though she looked good although not as formally dresses and Sarah Brown.

I really dont think the Queen is scared of arms! lol I am sure Michelle will wear something appropriate to meet the Queen and not show up in a bikini!

We do find the amount of security for the President amusing over here. We dont have that much for the Royal Family! They even used a different route to Downing Street this morning for securtiy reasons. Nice to start the day with a smile.

I do hope the summit goes well and something can be done to help with the recession.

Michelle Obama left town in a big white coat . . . arrives in London wearing a skimpy white blouse (or something) . . . bad enough that Memorial Day is 60 days away; but, we haven't even observed Easter, yet...what is she thinking?

And, I suppose she will be exposing (showing off) her arms to Queen Elizabeth. :( It is one thing to show your own style; it is another, to totally ignore good taste.

Not sure what you mean by ignoring good taste? What has she done? I agree with another poster..white can be worn all year long ...lots of winter white out there. I don't see a thing wrong with it, but then again, there are other things out there a little more serious these days, so I don't dwell on the "small stuff".

I think the "no white after Labor Day, or before Memorial Day" is a thing of the past. To me, the style of the outfit, and not so much the color, dictates the seasonality, so to speak.

I think a sleeveless dress is out of place in both DC and England for this time of year. Isn't it chilly? (Here in FL it would be fine.) Again, TO ME, it's not so much the color, as the style. JMHO.

Actually, she stepped off the plane last night wearing -

85739200.jpg

No white in sight here!

She then had breakfast with the Prime Minister and his wife, Sarah wearing -

85744941.jpg

This was before visiting a hospital with Sarah Brown. It is a beautiful spring day here in London and Mrs Obama's morning outfit was entirely appropriate for the weather and occasion. She certainly outshone her British counter-part!

She will be changing before meeting Her Majesty the Queen this afternoon for tea.

Will be interesting to compare Mrs Obama and the very glam former model Madame Sarkozy!

Anyway, I always thought that the white reference was to shoes?

I think she looks great. The Queen has arms, so i think she will be ok with seeing the first lady's. If she shows up in a tank top/belly shirt then we have a problem, if she wears the style of clothes she has been wearing I think international relations with England will remain good.

I think she looks great. The Queen has arms, so i think she will be ok with seeing the first lady's. If she shows up in a tank top/belly shirt then we have a problem, if she wears the style of clothes she has been wearing I think international relations with England will remain good.

I have a buttock and I would NOT BE OK if someone showed up their buttock at a meeting… Am I the only one?

:D

I have to agree with other posters that here in the UK we don't really have a problem in wearing white at this time of year.

I have seen many posts on CC referring to wearing white before Memorial Day etc - please excuse my ignorance but what is Memorial Day and why does wearing white have a relevance to this?

I personally think that Michelle Obama has great style and her outfit this morning at Downing Street, the mint green skirt and peach/pink sparkly cardigan looked absolutely fantastic and was totally appropriate for the lovely Spring day that we have today in the UK.

There was some talk first thing this am on TV that todays outfit was from a USA high street chain store - JCrew? is this correct? She certainly outshone Sarah Brown in her drab outfit!!

I'm intrigued as to who makes these rules about "Labor day" (whatever that is). Do people really live by these stupid rules and do others actually look down on those who transgress? My goodness Michelle Obama is a beautiful woman of whom you should all be proud! The mind boggles that in times of war, financial meltdown, poverty and famine the fact that Mrs. Obama chose to wear WHITE!!!!!:mad: is of any importance at all. Unbelievable.

II have seen many posts on CC referring to wearing white before Memorial Day etc - please excuse my ignorance but what is Memorial Day and why does wearing white have a relevance to this?

Memorial Day is a the day that was originally set aside for Remembrance of those who served in our Armed Forces. Years ago it was called "Decoration Day" and most people would go to the cemetery and decorate the grave of their loved one. (The stories I could tell you about this as a child in the South):eek: This has changed over the years, as Memorial Day is now pretty much observed in memory of anyone.

As far as no wearing of white before Memorail Day, and after Labor Day, that was mostly a Southern thing. It's the way I grew up, and I still wouldn't think of wearing white shoes before or after. Even after all these years in Florida, I find it hard except for athletic shoes. :D This custom has pretty much gone the wayside, but there are a few of us "old fogies" and diehards that still go by this old time fashion thing. :rolleyes:;)

we were selling ivory (off white) lined slacks before Christmas and the ladies were planning to pair them with a sparkly top, black cardigan, etc.

I think the Memorial Day thing is more American than Canadian (I could be wrong) but I think more people are wearing white no matter the season.

As other posters have stated, Michelle Obama has great taste and will be appropriately dressed for meeting the Queen and others.

So is this an April Fool's Joke or are you being serious???

I did a search once on this and found that this rule originally applied to shoes and handbags. I couldn't find my source today, but found this rather amusing article while searching.

etiquetteer.com/category/amy-vanderbilt/ I'm guessing if Emily Post says it not longer applies then that is that! :)

Wow! Your post is very outdated and rude! Just because you don't for whatever reason like to wear white what difference does it make what she wears?:confused:

Years ago, you weren't supposed to leave the house without a corset, then you were not supposed to show your ankles or knees, then the exposed stomach in a bathing suit was a no no. This is 2009! I wore a white sweater under a white wool coat yesterday and looked fabulous. Fashion "rules" change each decade. You are apparantly not current on what is "acceptable".

I heard that the Brits call Michelle Obama "Lady McBeth". The main stream American media dosen't report that. It wouldn't surprise me if she showed up in shorts and tennis shoes to see the Queen, that seems about her speed.

Obviously the snarky posts are from those whose real issue is that she and her husband are in the White House to begin with. I didn't vote for him, but I would hope people have better things to do on a cruise board than to snipe at what the First Lady wears on a trip abroad. Let's face it, it's been one long trip downhill since Jackie. :p

I heard that the Brits call Michelle Obama "Lady McBeth". The main stream American media dosen't report that. It wouldn't surprise me if she showed up in shorts and tennis shoes to see the Queen, that seems about her speed.

One columnist in one paper (the Telegraph - also known as the "Torygraph") described her like that.

Have you ever seen Michelle Obama in shorts and tennis shoes? Have you ever seen her less than impeccably dressed? Thought not.

Archived