First Time Cruiser-Worried abt seasickness

jellybeanOH

Hello Everyone,:cool:

I've booked my very first criuse OMG!!!. It is to the Western Carribbean, November 2009.

My biggest concern is seasickness. A girlfriend suggested that I get a mid-ship cabin, which I did. But, can anyone tell me what they have found to best work for seasickness? I've looked at bands, and patches, and electronic devices, what works and what works best?

Thank you

I have always been very prone to motion sickness but havent ever gotten sick on a cruise ship. The movement typically isnt bad but always take Dramamine as prevention. Part of what will help is not worrying about it as much. If you spend the whole week thinking about it I think you will be more likely to have challenges

Relief band works great for me, that is the electronic one but it is expensive and some people are sensitive to the electrical charge, it is a tingle in your fingers.

Bonnie also works well especially if you start taking it a few days before to become accustomed to the effects and then take one each night at bedtime.

We just got off the Dawn, and it was quite rough for a few days (eastern carribbean). I bought sea bands, but they were so tight, I couldn't use them. I took Bonine along (they also sold it on board), and gravol (which is the canadian version of dramamine). I saw people wearing the patch, but I didn't buy it. I just felt bad when the ship was "rolling" and couldn't walk very well (I wasn't the only one). One night, they put airline sickness bags near the elevators - just in case!!

On my last cruise there was a strong storm and many people were sick...I had gone with a friend, and it was her first cruise. Just in case, she had been taking dramamine every day of the cruise. It was only rough the very last night. I had not taken anything, since I'd never had any problems on prior cruises...well not this time! I was sick too. My friend was not. Next time I am using the patch just in case. The people who had the patch or bands seemed to be fine (this was all I could visibly see...I don't know who else was taking a pill.) My friend said she felt a little stomach flutters but otherwise was fine. I definitely learned my lesson to take something as a preventative. I think the patch, bands and pills all work...just depends on what you want to use. And even though I've given you my story, my prior cruises were all great, so don't worry too much about seasickness, just go prepared.

All the suggestions above are good, but you may be pleasantly surprised. I get carsick, but so far never have gotten seasick. No idea why. I hope it turns out that you don't have a problem either, but it's best to go prepared.

I had some bad side effects with the patch, so I take one Bonine at night for a least a couple of nights before I go, take it while on the cruise and also take it a couple of nights after I return so I don't have the "post-cruise" swaying......works like a charm!!

We have been on 9 cruises and have never been seasick. We have seen others who were, but I guess we are made of sterner stuff. ;) Most people do not get sick on these large ships. All the above ideas are great; just don't go borrowing trouble and worries. Chances are that you will be fine. The Western is usually calmer than itineraries that go out of the eastern side of Florida and travel a lot through the Atlantic.

Do not worry! Have fun planning!

My dh used the patch and he never got sick while cruising the western caribbean. He gets sick very easily and he did great with no side effects or drowsiness. The down side is that they are fairly expensive. Happy cruising:)

I just got back and I also worried about being seasick. I had patches, which I didn't use, ginger, bonine which I did use. The only day I got sick was the last day when we had a full day at sea. We were at sea for a day and a half which we could of done overnight. I think because the ship just sat there in the ocean there was alot of swaying. I was feeling it packing that evening. All in all while the ship was moving it wasn't bad at all. The bonine made me very tired tho for over 24 hrs per dose.

Guest TropicOne

If you never got seasick before why worry now ? Do not get to worked up over something you are not sure will happen.

I've used this on my two cruises and it's wonderful. I have Benign Positional Vertigo, so sometimes even elevators make me dizzy! I use them also for stomach upset. Got them at my local Sun Harvest store. My kids think that the taste is fairly strong, and I guess it is, but I like it nonetheless.

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/item/?itemKey=68701&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=fpl&utm_term=SolarayGingerTripsGingerRootExtractwVitaminB660ChewableTablets&utm_content=68701&utm_campaign=googlebase&site=google_base

Enjoy your cruise!

Hello Everyone,:cool:

I've booked my very first criuse OMG!!!. It is to the Western Carribbean, November 2009.

My biggest concern is seasickness. A girlfriend suggested that I get a mid-ship cabin, which I did. But, can anyone tell me what they have found to best work for seasickness? I've looked at bands, and patches, and electronic devices, what works and what works best?

Thank you

Hi,

Like you, I was also worried about sea-sickness. I had a pack of over the counter tablets and wrist bands with me, and never needed either.

I found the rocking motion didnt worry me, and the one day/night of high seas, was like walking when i had a few too many.

We saw a few passengers with patches behind their ears, but never asked if they worked.

I have a whole pack of Travelcalm free to good home!!

Enjoy your cruise

Sharon

I was fine on the ship (mostly, did get a little dizzy during one of the shows in the theatre, which was all the way at the front (or maybe back?) of the ship). What did me in, of all things, was snorkeling. We went from the shore in Cozumel, and the bobbing like a cork in the waves for over an hour was miserable! Next time I think I'll just take dramamine or bonine before bed each night to protect me from shore excursions as well as the ship itself, lol.

Relief band works great for me, that is the electronic one but it is expensive and some people are sensitive to the electrical charge, it is a tingle in your fingers.

Bonnie also works well especially if you start taking it a few days before to become accustomed to the effects and then take one each night at bedtime.

I also use the relief band, and have found it worked really well. Even when I wasn't using it and then I got sick...I put on the relief band and my symptoms went away within minutes. I love it!

I've always been prone to motion/seasickness as well and found on a western caribbean cruise a few years ago the ginger tablets worked wonders and only resulted to Bonine when the ginger tablets weren't quite enough. The most surprising part of the cruise is that I felt worse when I got home. I felt dizzy for weeks and it was far worse than what I felt while on the cruise.

I was told that the western caribbean is calmer than the eastern (we just sailed on the NCL Dawn). I took Bonine because we had a few rough days - very windy as well. The days were in the caribbean were great, nice and calm. I even felt rolling while we were in the theatre and sometimes in the restaurants as well. Even so, I want to cruise again. (this was our first time). I'm glad I wasn't dizzy when we got off the ship. I suffer from vertigo from time to time and it's no picnic.

Archived