how to suntan?

mattR

How to suntan:) Have never taken a trip to a sunny destination. Want to be able to build up a tan, but don't want to burn. Went to Wal Mart and they have a tanning lotion that has a 8 sun screen protection. I'm thinking that I would be burnt to a crisp with only 8spf protection? So how do I build a tan? I am fairly fair skined and do burn fairly easily.

If you are fair skinned and do not live in a sunny clime, then you will need the strongest SPF you can get and keep applying it. For a "tan" I plan on using a "fake" tan or self-tanner right before I go. Take it from someone who has had sumburns so bad, I was ill. Once I knew I needed to go in, but I was in college and there were the cutest guys at the next dock over.

I'm a fair complexion red head who burns easily. I go to the tanning salon for a few weeks before sailing to build up a base. I turn pink when I do this (don't tan) but it doesn't hurt. The freckles start popping out. When I get to the carribean, I use SPF 50. For me, Bananna Boat works the best although I have used Coppertone and Hawaiian Tropic. I do not burn and can last hours in the sun. If you can't do the tanning bed, at least use SPF 50 that is waterproof/sweatproof. Apply often and don't forget the part in your hair as scalp burn hurts.. ouch..

I would recomend, if you have the space and budget, bringing more than one brand of sunblock. For some people, like my white as paper red headed brother, only certain brands of SPF 60 work. Others seem to attract sun for him yet are fine for me (have never burned in my life)

I ALWAYS start at a tanning salon 5-6 before going south. It's part of the fun, like buying shore excursions, packing ,planing etc.Getting a good base can avoid a bad burn thus spending the rest of cruise in long sleeves and pants and oh yah those painful sleepless nights.

Even if you use a tanning bed, you will burn in the tropics. Do bring sun block 45 or better. Apply 1/2 hour before you go out in sun, use at least twice a day. Enjoy. If you want to tan, I would lay out on deck after six for 10-15 mins only.

Matt,

just MHO, but whatever you do, do it carefully. My dad spent the last 15 years of his life in the dermatologist's office and healing from the many skin lesions on his face and arms....all acquired in search of the perfect tan when he was younger. A very high price! He said it wasn't worth it.

Enjoy your cruise.

MattR,

What works best for me is avoid laying in the sun and just walking around. Arms , legs and face always develope a nice tan after a few days, as for torso I don't walk around bare chested at home so who would see that anyway,lol. If you do choose to worship the sun as others have suggested use the max sun block and be cognizant of the time you are exposed, it is so easy to doze off at sea.

Frank

We use repeated applications of waterproof spf 45 since we spend a lot of time around the water while cruising. The Walgreens on 17th in Fort Lauderdale (near the port) had a huge selection, as I would assume stores close to a sunny port would. Considering we got a little sunburned in Scotland this past June (!), you better believe we lather up for our Caribbean cruises! :)

It depends. I live in Florida, and when we go to the beach for the day, or even a few hours, we apply a lot before we get there so by the time we get in the sun the sunscreen has had a chance to soak in. If you apply it and then go in the water within 15 minutes, it will all wash off.

I burn easily, and I probably apply every few hours, and whenever I get out of the water. I don't stay very long in the sun and will still get sun with the SPF 45. I agree with the previous posters...you may not need too do try to hard and just by walking around you'll get some sun.

Here's a tip we use: try the sun stick for your face above your eyes, and then sun screen lotion everywhere else. The sun stick will not run into your eyes and burn when you get hot and sweat. But you don't want to use the sun stick elsewhere because it feels very heavy.

Have fun!

I burn very easily. There were some good tips on this thread. I might go back to the thread sometime. Since I am not big on suntan lotitions, I forget the tan and just walk a lot on the wrap around decks-- Lower Promenade on the "s" Class and "r"class. and Pomenade on the "vista" class ships. I will try the Banana boat #50 sometime and see what happens. I have brown hair that was red into my thirties and I still have the redhead complection.

Himself

Archived