Do they really throw stuff at you at shore talks

Sailing on the Valor next Sunday.....WOO HOO! Do they really throw stuff out to you during the shore talks, etc.? Is it worth going to them? I have cruised before but have not gone to the talks. After reading some of the capers posted, just wonder if it is worth leaving time in the sun for the shore talks.

Yes, they do. I went on our first few cruises and didn't bother after that. Your chances are slim of getting the good stuff like t-shirts, bottles of liquor, tote bags, etc. After watching grown women fight over cheap plastic rings that change color in the sun I gave it up. :p

Yes, I've seen t-shirts, frisbees, and a few other items tossed. Nothing of great value. It's all about getting people excited to go shopping. You have to sit pretty close though since what they're throwing tends to be lightweight and doesn't go very far. We don't bother going anymore. We went on our first cruise and it really was all about pushing the stores the cruisline has a piece of or some relationship with. I found my best piece of jewelry in a store in St. Thomas that isn't on their "list". So, we just watch it on our tv while getting ready for dinner.

Sailing on the Valor next Sunday.....WOO HOO! Do they really throw stuff out to you during the shore talks, etc.? Is it worth going to them? I have cruised before but have not gone to the talks. After reading some of the capers posted, just wonder if it is worth leaving time in the sun for the shore talks.

Why would you give up valuable vacation time to go to a sales pitch? I would skip the talks and if you're really interested catch them on the TV in the room later.

:mad:We spent all day at these shore talks waste of time didn't have time to enjoy the sea day and that was on our first cruise. We are going on the same cruise this year and will not be sitting through these talks again. They want you to go to Carnival approve stores I think they gat a kick back from these stores. :eek:

Mike

:mad:We spent all day at these shore talks waste of time didn't have time to enjoy the sea day and that was on our first cruise. We are going on the same cruise this year and will not be sitting through these talks again. They want you to go to Carnival approve stores I think they gat a kick back from these stores. :eek:

Mike

Uh, yes they do. It's part of the program. They get usually around 30% back. That's why it's hilarious to think you are getting deals at DI etc.... You aren't. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy but just don't do so thinking you are getting some great bargain because you aren't

Uh, yes they do. It's part of the program. They get usually around 30% back. That's why it's hilarious to think you are getting deals at DI etc.... You aren't. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy but just don't do so thinking you are getting some great bargain because you aren't

The stores also pay the cruise line a hefty amount of money as a down payment. Big scam. In Aruba we went to a few of the stores and the prices were off the charts. St Marten for jewlery and a few places in St thomas. Those are the only places we shop for jewelry.

Hey fellow Rhode Islander.

I wish I was cruising this year:(

I got a Del Sol canvas bag:D It changes to color in the sun.

Pardon my French, but these shore talks suck. :) TOTAL waste of time. I would so much rather be relaxing, reading, participating in a fun activity or shopping. I learned that lesson on my first cruise and never went back.

Pardon my French, but these shore talks suck. :) TOTAL waste of time. I would so much rather be relaxing, reading, participating in a fun activity or shopping. I learned that lesson on my first cruise and never went back.

Could you please give your opinion a little more definitively.

I would be surprised if a sane person went back a second time. DI pays Carnival a 20% commission on what the sheep buy in their stores.

Amazing they still get away with it after all these years but remember the immortal words of PT Barnum.

Golfadj

Yeah the shopping talks aren't for everyone! Ok thats apparent here but it is really a neat option when you need a little inside time. Its like sitting with a catalogue in front of you trying to decide what to buy. I took my sister and there werent many there (which is great that not many go). I got a bottle of tequilla and a beach bag and my sister got some cool things from Del Sol. We were up in the front and I was quick to get on stage when I could. Yeah its a bit of a time waster but then again we were sun burned and needed some cool time so we went. I think its up to each person to decide if they like it or not. So to answer your question "YES they do throw out stuff at shop talks!"

Had a ringing in my ear for several hours after my last shopping talk. A girl, behind me(about 10 or so), screamed as loud as she could--in my ear--for the CD to throw one of those cheap plastic rings to her!

The shopping talks are a great place to go to find out which stores not to visit. ;)

Every store mentioned in the shopping talk gives kickbacks to the cruiseline, which means it's much cheaper to shop elsewhere.

Archived