Stability of TAs in this economy

Saw a posting from someone saying that with the condition of the economy, they were concerned about booking through a TA, and would only book through the cruiseline. This seems an over-reaction to me. I've not read of anyone loosing money due to a TA's instability.

Saw a posting from someone saying that with the condition of the economy, they were concerned about booking through a TA, and would only book through the cruiseline. This seems an over-reaction to me. I've not read of anyone loosing money due to a TA's instability.

There have been a few internet agencies that have gone out of buisness latetly. If you book thru and agent, make sure your payment is going directly to the cruiseline as stated earlier, and that you see the confirmation of that. Airlines, travel agents DO go out of buisness.

There is a big thread or two on here somewhere of agencies, one in particular going out of business after pocketing customers money and not paying it on cruises. One reason to always make sure your deposit and any payments show up as charges coming from the cruiseline NOT the TA.

So yes it is important to be wary now. The big cruise agency in FL that I use, while not having been in any trouble like some legal wise, has just laid off people and downsized where they are, new quarters. I am glad they didn't just disappear but it does make one nervous.

As a general rule, you will get better service thu a good TA. However, when you make ANY payments, whether they be for a cruise or a land vacation, make them on a CREDIT CARD if you are able to do so.

Why?

When you make a payment to a TA using a check, money order or cash, the payment is actually deposited into the bank account for the travel agency and then an agency check is forwarded to the cruise line/vendor on your behalf.

There are a few things to consider when doing this.

1st, what agency are you using? Are they stable? Do you trust them to forward your funds? What would happen if they went out of business?

2nd, should you have to cancel, what's the procedure for getting a refund?

When you pay by credit card the cruise line/vendor will automatically credit your card for the deposit/refund you are do and you will see if within 24-48 hours on your account.

Should you have a 'problem' getting the refund you can dispute the charge by calling your credit card company.

If you're due a refund that was paid via another means (cash, check or money order), the cruise line/vendor will refund the AGENCY who then will deposit the payment into their bank account and issue you a check. No payments are normally made until the money is deposited in the agency account.

So, be safe.

Use credit cards (or debit cards - they work the same way!)

My CC is charged is by the cruise line, not by TA. However, there are TAs that take you money and then tender it to cruise lines. I would avoid those TAs, and I would avoid them regardless of the strength of the economy. There are countless stories and criminal prosecutions regarding this issue.

I think booking direct with the cruise line because of concerns about the 'stability' of a travel professional is rather amusing. Even cruise lines can go under and disappear with client funds. Granted, it's much harder, but it /can/ happen. A good quality travel professional will be running their business properly to account for a weaker economy. This doesn't mean they wouldn't go under, but they would be able to see it coming and will take steps to ensure a proper shut-down that protects client investments and funds.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree with the previous posters who suggested making sure your travel agent isn't the one who is actually charging your card. For cruises (and most other forms of travel), while you give your payment information to the travel agent, the cruise line's name is the one that shows up on your bill. There are only a few reasons why a travel agent's name (or agency name) should be the one showing up, and none of them occur during cruise transactions.

The only time I have personally charged a client's credit card has been with condo rentals or highly specialized itineraries. I also refuse to accept payments by cash or check because they offer no protection for the traveler (and it's more of a hassle for me, to boot!).

We will continue travelling, as life is not a dress rehearsal.

However, some of things we naively did, in the past, we will no longer do, such as -

1. Pay deposit by credit card. Then accept that the only choice for final payment is for money to be wired to US travel agent, in that TA's name.

2. Make payment to TA in TA's name.

3. Book too far ahead, as there are just too many variables, with booking long haul flights and cruises.

4. Book one way cruises overseas, such as a TA, which involve two one way long haul flights to different destinations, in lieu of a less expensive return ticket.

and the list goes on, but you get the gist!

I believe the travel industry, the airline industry and the cruise industry (with some notable exceptions) need to do some serious soul searching in relation to how they treat their most valuable resource, their customers.

Archived