Service Charges?

pomlover

Just received our book and luggage tags for our cruise on the Pearl in May. I am reading it and it says something about Service Charges are additional and will be added onto our onboard account. My question is what would have a Service Charge on the Ship????

Thanks!

Just received our book and luggage tags for our cruise on the Pearl in May. I am reading it and it says something about Service Charges are additional and will be added onto our onboard account. My question is what would have a Service Charge on the Ship????

Thanks!

Service charge of $12 per day per person is charged to your on board account. The money goes in to a pool that is shared by the wait staff in the dining rooms and the cabin stewards. No additional gratuities to these staffers is required or expected, but many passengers do tip additional cash to a steward or waiter who provides superior service.

In addition, a 15% gratuity will be added to your bill for any bar items you purchase...alcohol or not, as the bartenders and bar waiters don't share in the above mentioned pool.

An 18% gratuity is added to the bill for all spa/beauty salon services.

If you are in a suite and receive the services of a butler or concierge, you should tip them as you see fit in cash, as they also do not share in the service charge pool.

Room service waiters should be given a small cash gratuity.

Hope this explains it.

The daily service charge of $12 per person per day goes to pay most of the ship's salary basically. It more or less replaced the tip system that soooo many avoided. But if you wish you can still tip anyone more. Most of the rest of the cruise lines have done the same too.

I am sure someone will post a more informative answer, but what I posted above gets to the bottom of the issue quickly.

Ages 3 and up are $12 per day.

CG

And if the kids use the Day Care service, a tip commensurate the the service rendered should be given to the staff (who are not in the tip pool - unless this has changed when they changed the tip amount to 12$ for kids too?)

Thanks for the answers!

One more thing room service is not part of the Tip pool so it is customary to tip a a dollar or two or more for a lot of food sometimes, when the food is delivered.

Also tips are automatically added to all drinks including soda ordered and for services at the spa. So check before you sign your bills so you are not doubletipping by accident.

Archived