Is a Grand Suite worh it??

If they were a few years older, I might change my mind on that but right now they are too young and a GS will give us the space we need.

But I think it depends on the ship's class. On a Freedom class, the AFT JS's are huge. And the closets are walk in closets. So there would be no problem having a roll away in one of those. And the space is more usable space, if that makes sense.

I have to tell you, we loved our GS on Freedom until we had an AFT JS on Independence. I would never pay for another GS again after having that AFT JS. No way. ;)

Well disagree with last post as it's already been stated that a rollaway bed can be put in the room for an extra bed. As I said before if you can afford it with no pain then go for it...you'll love it......

Gracie, you are right...I did not recall that when I posted...thanks for correcting me.

No problem Rev, I would have thought the same had I not read the post about the rollaway...did not know they were available at all.

Also to others that said take a JS instead of GS, the OP already stated there were no JS available now. I'd probably agree with the JS choice too if it were an option...we love the JS...and would only take a GS if it was VERY affordable...course no one can answer that except the OP....

I can not thank all of you enough!!! I really appreciate all the different ideas and points of view. Since we have never cruised before that is exactly what I needed. :) (I didn't know what the luggage valet was, so things like that are super helpful too!).

Here's what we've come to... we originally were booking a balcony and were thrilled. But then I saw the deal on the JS, it was $100 less than the balcony. We got so excited! But the only one available was at the back of the ship with an obstructed view (guess I should have checked into what "obstructed" really is....). That was the only JS left on the ship. I played with the suite prices just for fun and came across a darn hefty discount on the GS. (dreaming I thought!). When we compared the prices it wasn't hugely more than the original balcony (the balcony is on sale too though, so that skewed my number argument for DH.). We do not want to be separated from our kids. We usually get one really good vacation a year and it's something that we really enjoy and want to be together. That's the purpose of the trip, to do things together and it has worked really well for us. I know that my years are numbered, so I'm savoring each an every minute that they still want me around! They are getting bigger though, and the roll away option is a really big deal as is the inroom dining menu. I like the concierge lounge idea, though I'm finding after perusing the boards that having access to the lounge and being a first time cruiser may be a bit controversial. We love the larger cabin and balcony as well as the possibility of eliminating lines in check in. We checked today and there are no tenders on our itinerary, so that doesn't matter. All in all, we just got back from the travel agent and have booked the GS! It's a splurge, but we are all so excited. I'm thrilled to have the extra room and the bedding situation enhanced. My husband is laughing as he says that it might be kind of like that Seinfeld episode where Jerry flies in first class because Elaine never has before, and it's probably better if you just don't know what you are missing! Now unfortunately we will know what we are missing on our next cruise, so I'll have to become a serious deal hunter!

Thanks again everyone... please keep posting if you have more to add. All of your info has been so helpful and we will take any tips of advice that anyone feels like sharing. We are excited to figure the rest of this out. My daughters birthday will be when we are on the ship and she just can't wait! I'm going to have to get one of those count down things for my profile!!!:D

Kim & Family

I do have a question about Rev's comment about the beds... why would my husband and I use the fold out couch (there is one, I checked!) and not the twins? In hotels we usually put the kids on the couch and we take the bed. Just curious...

We are indeed thrilled that we can use a roll away, though.

Thanks!

Kim

I do have a question about Rev's comment about the beds... why would my husband and I use the fold out couch (there is one, I checked!) and not the twins? In hotels we usually put the kids on the couch and we take the bed. Just curious...

We are indeed thrilled that we can use a roll away, though.

Thanks!

Kim

Some parents have kids that refuse to share a bed (especially when they have one boy and one girl) so they give their kids the main bed as it can be separated into 2 twins and the parents use the sofa bed.

Some parents have kids that refuse to share a bed (especially when they have one boy and one girl) so they give their kids the main bed as it can be separated into 2 twins and the parents use the sofa bed.

They have a remedy for that don't they? One in the sofa bed and the other on the roll away cot. I'm sure they love their kids, but I think the parents deserve to sleep in the bed rather than a sofa. LOL

They have a remedy for that don't they? One in the sofa bed and the other on the roll away cot. I'm sure they love their kids, but I think the parents deserve to sleep in the bed rather than a sofa. LOL

Me too!!!!:D

Hey I didn't say that would be my solution but that is the reasoning some parents have given on these boards in the past. I know my mother would NEVER have slept on a sofa bed while my brother and I were in a real bed.

I don't know if anyone here watches Seinfeld. But anytime I hear the words sofa bed I think of that episode that has Elaine sleeping on Jerry's parents sofa bed. If you caught that episode then you know what I am referring to.

We are new to cruising, so this might be a newbie question... We are a family of 4 with kids 10 and 13 years old (girl 10, boy 13). We are looking at a 7-night cruise to the Caribbean Cruise this July. Today when I was checking prices I found a state discount for a Grand Suite. The Grand Suite costs $1,900 more than the balcony we were looking at. Beyond the obvious cabin space increase (double!) I read about the new Enhanced Program for Suite Guests (I'll copy below). Since we are new to cruising, how important are things like priority check-in and out, Priority tender tickets, pool VIP seating, full inroom dining menus, and reserved seating in main theater?

I got full raised eyebrows when I presented the price to my husband, but he did smile at the Concierge Club open bar and appetizers! He doesn't think he can drink $1,900 of Jack Daniels in 7 days to justify the cost though... but he says he's up for the ole college try!

We are just not sure how important these things will be to us as we have never cruised before. I sure would appreciate any input (and help in justification!).

Thanks!

Kim & Brian

Below is the new Enhanced Suite Program:

• Priority check-in

• Personalized attention throughout the cruise with complimentary Concierge Club service on select ships

• Reserved prime seating in the main theater for entertainment shows, where available

• Priority tender tickets on select cruises. (Tender service is provided when smaller vessels are necessary to reach shore in locations without docking ports large enough for cruise ships.)

• VIP pool deck seating, where available

• Full breakfast, lunch and dinner dining room menus available for in-room dining

• Private breakfast and lunch seating in specialty restaurants on our Voyager and Freedom Class ships

• Mattel® board games available to order for in-room entertainment for the kids

• Complimentary luggage valet service

• Luxury spa bathrobes for use onboard

• Complimentary pressing service on formal night

• Priority departure with exclusive suite departure lounge featuring continental breakfast

As a frequent suite guest I can inform you of the following:

Priority tendering tickets are great, however be prepared to be up and ready early as soon as they announce the ship is ready to tender.

The concierge lounge is pleasent, however beware there no children allowed for the pre dinner festivities.

The upgraded room service menu and priority service is a plus.

And the complimentary pressing service surely comes in handy, due to iron's not being allowed on board and your only option would to pay for the service otherwise.

Enjoy your cruise, whatever cabin you should decided on.

You also might want to look into a royal family suite (if availble) which would offer a better layout for the price for a family of 4.

Congrats on the decision to book the GS. You will love it! The Voyager GS has a full curtain that can be drawn to separate the parents' bed from the sofa area. Also, the bathroom is much larger and has 2 sinks. If the children like the kids' programs, they can visit them for an hour or two while you and DH enjoy the CL. The CL also has dvds you can borrow for the dvd player in your GS. There were 3 nice sized closets and alot more drawers for storing clothing. There is a pot to warm water (you must keep the button pressed the entire time it is warming or it won't warm) so you can make tea or coffee with the french press. There are binoculars in the room. As for the chairs at the pool, it is not always easy to find 4 chairs together so that is a nice benefit, too.

Bon Voyage!

Kim..........congratulations on your decision!! It's your vacation, and you deserve to take it anyway that you want.

I took my daughter and her husband, and my 7 and 5 year old grandsons. I treated them to a GS.......and the day that they boarded the ship, they found out that they were given an OS! They loved the space, and although the ship (Monarch) did not have a Concierge Lounge, my DD and hubby enjoyed having a glass of wine on their balcony (or ours), and with the help of Adventure Ocean........my daughter and hubby had the first vacation that was partially without children.

Enjoy your cruise!!:)

Rick

We have sailed several times in a GS even prior to these new changes. You cannot beat them!! The extra room, extra storage, larger balcony, CD player, beautiful bathroom etc. etc. make them so special. the worst part is we were so content in our suite, we stayed in their more than we normally would in a JS. There is a curtain that can be pulled to seperate the stateroom into two private areas. I love a GS. Go for it-with the extras now I would book one if I could. You will have a WONDERFUL time:)

Try the GS if you can , you will love it. The extra room is priceless

Is priority check in really helpful? Yes, shorter lines and less waiting time...but only if you arrive at the port during the busy times 10:30-12 noon.

Are pool seats really hard to find? Seats near the pool are always hard to find...these are seats on the deck above the pool deck, looking over at the pool deck. They are in full sun. If you think those seats are good seats, then this is a good deal.

Are priority tender tickets really useful, or does it really not matter? I find them useful, in that you can go to the tender at any time and as early as you want.

Would I really use the concierge service? I use it all the time, for coffee and capachino in the morning, and some times even a light breakfast. Stopping there in the afternoon for a nice hot cup of tea is always nice, and peaceful. Cocktail time is a time to meet fellow cruisers enjoy a drink or two and have some yummy appertizers. The also offer dessert cookies and chocolate covered strawberries.

Do they really matter? To me they do. These extra are like fast passes and if there is a skating rink on the ship you are cruising on, those seats save you the extra time of having to wait for about a half hour to see the show...which I might add is one of the highlights of the ship.

As far as cost goes it's entirely up to you. But here is something I would also consider. Where are your children going to sleep? There may be a pull out sofa in the room (make sure because not all GS have them) that is where you and your DH will have to sleep and the boy and girl will have to sleep on the two twin beds. So be ready to sleep on a pull out sofa...make sure you ask for an egg crate matress).

I hope this adresses all your questions. Have a great trip what ever you choose.

Rev

Very well said!!

** Seen that you booked the GS - Congrats !!

If we were traveling with children that age, my first choice would be adjoining cabins. (across the hall wouldn't work for me and I'd like the 2nd bathroom) If adjoining wasn't available and the GS was available, I'd go for it.

I would consider 4 in a JS but nothing smaller. I know a lot of people do it, but it just wouldn't work for me. Go into your master bedroom and try to imagine all of you spending a week together there.

You leave for meals, excursions, pool, whatever, but you're sleeping, showering, and dressing on top of each other. If you can swing the GS, go for it. The space is well worth it.......................

Love to read when parents want to be with their children. I would never think about putting my children in another cabin across the hall. We also book a larger room so we can all be together. The remark about the privacy....well you just have to be a little creative, take advantage when the kid are doing other activities, or just what till you get home. :)

The remark about the privacy....well you just have to be a little creative, take advantage when the kid are doing other activities, or just what till you get home. :)

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." - The Wizard of Oz ;)

The in-room menus are not room service menus but simply copies of the dining room menus for the day which the cabin attendant replaces daily in the binder on the table. It's a convenience so you'll know what's for dinner.

We've cruised in JS and GS on the Voyager Class (and one lucky time were upgraded to an OS, heaven!). I think $ 1,900 is too much to move up tho and I'd stay w/a JS at that price difference (we like JS as they are pretty large and give you 2 cruise credits per sailing). Or you could consider two smaller adjoining rooms for the kids if space is an issue.

While we've enjoyed the CL, I don't think you need the Priority stuff to enjoy your cruise. We never took advantage of the in-room menus (we like to dress up and eat in the dining room or specialty restaurants) or reserved seating, seatiing has never been an issue on any ship we've been on.

If the price difference is less than $1,000, I'll consider it but for an example, this year we're on AOS in October and went with a JS (aft, HUGE balcony) and the difference is $ 1,200 between that and a GS. I know we can't drink enough to make up the difference and the rest isn't that important to us.

A JS is a nice size with your age children (ours are 11 and 10) and allows you a bit more "space" to get ready too!

Archived