Is a Grand Suite worh it??

We are new to cruising, so this might be a newbie question... We are a family of 4 with kids 10 and 13 years old (girl 10, boy 13). We are looking at a 7-night cruise to the Caribbean Cruise this July. Today when I was checking prices I found a state discount for a Grand Suite. The Grand Suite costs $1,900 more than the balcony we were looking at. Beyond the obvious cabin space increase (double!) I read about the new Enhanced Program for Suite Guests (I'll copy below). Since we are new to cruising, how important are things like priority check-in and out, Priority tender tickets, pool VIP seating, full inroom dining menus, and reserved seating in main theater?

I got full raised eyebrows when I presented the price to my husband, but he did smile at the Concierge Club open bar and appetizers! He doesn't think he can drink $1,900 of Jack Daniels in 7 days to justify the cost though... but he says he's up for the ole college try!

We are just not sure how important these things will be to us as we have never cruised before. I sure would appreciate any input (and help in justification!).

Thanks!

Kim & Brian

Below is the new Enhanced Suite Program:

• Priority check-in

• Personalized attention throughout the cruise with complimentary Concierge Club service on select ships

• Reserved prime seating in the main theater for entertainment shows, where available

• Priority tender tickets on select cruises. (Tender service is provided when smaller vessels are necessary to reach shore in locations without docking ports large enough for cruise ships.)

• VIP pool deck seating, where available

• Full breakfast, lunch and dinner dining room menus available for in-room dining

• Private breakfast and lunch seating in specialty restaurants on our Voyager and Freedom Class ships

• Mattel® board games available to order for in-room entertainment for the kids

• Complimentary luggage valet service

• Luxury spa bathrobes for use onboard

• Complimentary pressing service on formal night

• Priority departure with exclusive suite departure lounge featuring continental breakfast

We have sailed several times in a GS even prior to these new changes. You cannot beat them!! The extra room, extra storage, larger balcony, CD player, beautiful bathroom etc. etc. make them so special. the worst part is we were so content in our suite, we stayed in their more than we normally would in a JS. There is a curtain that can be pulled to seperate the stateroom into two private areas. I love a GS. Go for it-with the extras now I would book one if I could. You will have a WONDERFUL time:)

The Grand suites are very nice and the extra space is a plus BUT if it were me, I would book a balcony cabin for you and your husband and place the kids in their own interior cabin across the hall. The cost would be a little less than the GS. The extra bathroom would come in handy.

We've cruised in JS and GS on the Voyager Class (and one lucky time were upgraded to an OS, heaven!). I think $ 1,900 is too much to move up tho and I'd stay w/a JS at that price difference (we like JS as they are pretty large and give you 2 cruise credits per sailing). Or you could consider two smaller adjoining rooms for the kids if space is an issue.

While we've enjoyed the CL, I don't think you need the Priority stuff to enjoy your cruise. We never took advantage of the in-room menus (we like to dress up and eat in the dining room or specialty restaurants) or reserved seating, seatiing has never been an issue on any ship we've been on.

If the price difference is less than $1,000, I'll consider it but for an example, this year we're on AOS in October and went with a JS (aft, HUGE balcony) and the difference is $ 1,200 between that and a GS. I know we can't drink enough to make up the difference and the rest isn't that important to us.

A JS is a nice size with your age children (ours are 11 and 10) and allows you a bit more "space" to get ready too!

A JS is a nice size with your age children (ours are 11 and 10) and allows you a bit more "space" to get ready too!

Actually the JS was our first choice! There are none available though. So our choice comes down to the GS or a balcony.....??? While we realize that the increased size in room would be fantastic, it's the other perks that I really can't assign value to (newbie!!!). Is priority check in really helpful? Is it kind of like going through the first class line at the airport? Are pool seats really hard to find? Are priority tender tickets really useful, or does it really not matter? Would I really use the concierge service? When on vacations we do like to try to try to reduce hassle, frustrations, (cattle call situations) and I don't mind paying the extra money if these perks would be more akin to the fast pass at Disneyland, rather than standing in the Matterhorn line for an hour! Are these things worth paying extra for or are they things that really don't matter? Since we have never cruised, I just don't know how to place a value on them, or if the perks would be desirable or useful. Do they really matter?

Thanks again for any input! We really appreciate your thoughts and any helpful tips or advice for us Newbies!:)

For the additional $1900.00 dollars I'd get the kids a inside cabin and keep the balcony for yourselves.

I usually get the Junior Suite, but I have had a Grand Suite on 2 different occassions. In my opinion it is not worth the extra $1900.00 dollars. They are great cabins, but not for that much of a upcharge. So I would either get the kids their own room or spend the $1900.00 on shore excursions & shopping. What cat have you booked? That was obviously in my humble opinion.

We are a family of 4, DD 13 and DS 11 and we booked a GS on AOS and sail in a week. We booked a year ago after spending 4 days in a Disney balcony cabin and wanted the extra space - the perks weren't a selling point to us at that time since they weren't announced. We found out that besides the sofa bed, they will put a roll away in the GS, therefore the kids will each have their own bed - which they like. As for the concierge lounge - don't know if I could drink that much over a week, but I will have a fun time trying.:p

The best part of the concierge is the service. We had a phone call yesterday from DeeDee who is the concierge on AOS. She was calling from St. Thomas and wanted to know if we had any special requests for the time we would be on the ship etc. That little bit goes a long way for me. Also priority boarding and debarkation - my son and I are definitely not fans of long lines. Good luck with your decision, but we feel we made the right one with a Grand Suite.

We've sailed in both a GS and JS. While a GS is lovely, I agree with the other posters that $1,900 is too much of an upcharge. The GS perks don't mean THAT much!

Since no JS's are available, go for a balcony and an inside across the hall for the kids. They'll be fine there, and you'll be so happy to have the extra bathroom, and the privacy.

Don't think I'd put the kids at those ages in their own room unless it had connecting door to my own.(just my opinion)

If you can afford the GS without any pain, go for it. The extra space will be wonderful and as one poster already said you can get a rollaway so each child has their own bed.

You'll use some of the perks, some you won't but knowing they are there will make the trip that much better. You might not drink up the difference in price but your vacation WILL be better for the upgrade. If you don't do it you'll still have a wonderful time, just think if you can do it...then do it...what the heck...you only live once....

We are new to cruising, so this might be a newbie question... We are a family of 4 with kids 10 and 13 years old (girl 10, boy 13). We are looking at a 7-night cruise to the Caribbean Cruise this July. Today when I was checking prices I found a state discount for a Grand Suite. The Grand Suite costs $1,900 more than the balcony we were looking at. Beyond the obvious cabin space increase (double!) I read about the new Enhanced Program for Suite Guests (I'll copy below). Since we are new to cruising, how important are things like priority check-in and out, Priority tender tickets, pool VIP seating, full inroom dining menus, and reserved seating in main theater?

I got full raised eyebrows when I presented the price to my husband, but he did smile at the Concierge Club open bar and appetizers! He doesn't think he can drink $1,900 of Jack Daniels in 7 days to justify the cost though... but he says he's up for the ole college try!

We are just not sure how important these things will be to us as we have never cruised before. I sure would appreciate any input (and help in justification!).

Thanks!

Kim & Brian

Below is the new Enhanced Suite Program:

• Priority check-in

• Personalized attention throughout the cruise with complimentary Concierge Club service on select ships

• Reserved prime seating in the main theater for entertainment shows, where available

• Priority tender tickets on select cruises. (Tender service is provided when smaller vessels are necessary to reach shore in locations without docking ports large enough for cruise ships.)

• Full breakfast, lunch and dinner dining room menus available for in-room dining

• Private breakfast and lunch seating in specialty restaurants on our Voyager and Freedom Class ships

• Priority departure with exclusive suite departure lounge featuring continental breakfast

Children are not allowed in the CL during the evening hours. So.....you will be leaving the kids alone in the room while you an dh would use the lounge, or only one of you would go at a time.

We were in the Royal Family Suite this last November - and never really used the CL because we were with kids and other family members who could not enter. I think the ONLY thing we used the Concierge for was to get the ice show tickets. We never needed or asked for any other Concierge services the whole week.

The other perks were not available at that time - but really they are not necessary. If you have an early excursion - I believe you get priority tender tickets if necessary. We used the luggage valet service - paid $20 per person - and I felt THAT was worth it.

I believe that is a perk now included with the suite. But if you use that - you DON'T need the priority departure lounge - you will be leaving the ship as soon as it is cleared.

As a family, you are less likely to use the in-room dining as well. The special seating areas poolside and in the theater are not really necessary either. Nice - they would allow you to stroll in at the last minute and still get seats probably....but not necessary.

The special seating for breakfast and lunch would be nice - it is frequently a pain to find enough seats together in the Windjammer if you go at prime time.

I guess I would say an extra inside room for the kids - which gives you two bathrooms and lots of extra storage/closet space might be worth more than the suite perks.

Don't think I'd put the kids at those ages in their own room unless it had connecting door to my own.(just my opinion)

If you can afford the GS without any pain, go for it. The extra space will be wonderful and as one poster already said you can get a rollaway so each child has their own bed.

You'll use some of the perks, some you won't but knowing they are there will make the trip that much better. You might not drink up the difference in price but your vacation WILL be better for the upgrade. If you don't do it you'll still have a wonderful time, just think if you can do it...then do it...what the heck...you only live once....

Good advice!! What some can afford, others cannot. If there is a concern about the extra $1,900.00, you are probably better off with a balcony and inside. However....a GS has a nice amount of extra space.

And, if you are cruising after July 1st........the Concierge Lounge will become a nice place for an evening cocktail.:)

Rick

• Priority check-in

no value for this. We were basically able to walk right on board on Liberty of Seas in February.

Is having your butt kissed worth $1,900? Yes they have a person that can book all your excursions and dinner reservations, but is that worth it?

I assume you are on a ship with ice skating? If so, they have the first row of one of the sides reserved for ice skating show. We sat right behind them in the second row. Basically, we arrived about 10 minutes before the ice show opened, ordered two pina coladas from the bar, waited, and then walked in and sat down behind the roped off row. No difference in experience at all.

Oh...the tendering lines are so long <joking> again, this is not really worth $1900

They have a section reserved. It looked like nicer cushions on the loungers. The section is also in direct sunlight as well.

• Full breakfast, lunch and dinner dining room menus available for
    in-room dining

this might be a nice feature, but we have no problem eating in the dinning room.

I actually think this is a bad move on RCI's part. They should be selling lunch and breakfast at these two restaurants, but instead this is a perk. I am not sure its worth $1900, but that is your call.

Do your kids play board games?

I am not sure if that means they you get your luggage before everyone else. If so, that is a personal decision.

Robes are nice, but not worth $1900. They cost $50 a piece.

That is about a $30 value.

Everyone is off the ship by 10 AM.

I have to agree with those who say get yourself a balcony and put the kids in their own room nearby. Standard cabins are sufficient for 2 adults, but are really cramped with even children sharing!!! Your kids are old enough to be across the hall---(they'll be closer than they probably are at home in their own bedrooms--the halls are narrow!)

Privacy for the adults, and the kid's messes are their own!

yes its worth it! you're on vacation! all kidding aside, my kids are the same age and we have only stayed in the GS. I like the kids with us at night time and I don't feel comfortable putting them across the hall ( my oldest has stayed near by once with my niece and once with one of my friends and I still prefer to have all of the kids with me)

We do go to the CL every night for a visit (its normally located near our cabin anyways ) while the kids are in Fuel or Adventure Ocean and we have used the CL in the morning for coffee or snack because its closer

I can't wait to have the menus available in the room because my kids aren't always into going to the main dining room

My husband and I hang out in our room a lot so we really enjoy the extra room! we have 2 restaurants and we just like to relax. We watch all the movies, read books, use our lap top. we like just hanging out and listening to the waves in peace & quiet, we're not sun worshipers.

as far as the other benefits, the check in thing is hit and miss depending on when you get there, the robes, the pressing, board games, & luggage valet we've never used

I haven't sailed since the upgraded suite program but I'm looking forward to the reserved pool seating, reserved seating in the specialty restaurants and the shows.

I haven't noticed any special treatment from the conceirge except 1 time we were emailed from the Liberty conceirge before we sailed for any spa or dinner reservations. My husband and I still get a GS even when the kids aren't with us.

Last you have awhile until you sail, a JS might open, a few people will cancel around 75 - 60 days before sailing b ecause of payment deadlines, book a balcony and keep checking for a JS. there is plenty of room in the JS and for your first cruise I don't know if the extra money is worth it - we didn't even notice all of this stuff until after our first 2 cruises and the newness went away

We like the larger room and balcony and have a GS reserved on the AOS in November. It is our first sailing on RCI, but we have sailed in a suite on Princess. We loved the full breakfast menu option with room service. We had breakfast on the balcony every morning. DH and I said that benefit was worth the extra money all by itself. That said, with 2 kids I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as much.

Complimentary luggage valet service means that your luggage goes from your cabin straight to the airport. It was $20 per person on Celebrity. For a family of four, it would have been $80. Our lugguge did not arrive until the next day. Caused worry and frustration but all ended well. We will definitely use this perk in San Juan. San Juan's airport is a mess and not having to stand in line to check your baggage is a huge plus.

It is a personal decision, but I can say that we really enjoy the larger room and balcony.

Actually the JS was our first choice! There are none available though. So our choice comes down to the GS or a balcony.....??? While we realize that the increased size in room would be fantastic, it's the other perks that I really can't assign value to (newbie!!!). Is priority check in really helpful? Is it kind of like going through the first class line at the airport? Are pool seats really hard to find? Are priority tender tickets really useful, or does it really not matter? Would I really use the concierge service? When on vacations we do like to try to try to reduce hassle, frustrations, (cattle call situations) and I don't mind paying the extra money if these perks would be more akin to the fast pass at Disneyland, rather than standing in the Matterhorn line for an hour! Are these things worth paying extra for or are they things that really don't matter? Since we have never cruised, I just don't know how to place a value on them, or if the perks would be desirable or useful. Do they really matter?

Thanks again for any input! We really appreciate your thoughts and any helpful tips or advice for us Newbies!:)

I agree with what others have said here. The value of the GS is in the extra space, not the suite perks. So you have to decide if it is worth it to you to have the extra space. 4 people in a standard balcony cabin will be cramped. Either get 2 cabins or go for the GS. You won't regret either decision.

For us, no the GS is not worth it. We don't use the CL even when we have access to it. The extra space we had in the GS was not usable space. We had a large marble island in the cabin. Didn't really need to have that there. ;) (This is the Freedom class)

We do the Junior Suites now. We are perfectly happy with them.

Is priority check in really helpful? Yes, shorter lines and less waiting time...but only if you arrive at the port during the busy times 10:30-12 noon.

Are pool seats really hard to find? Seats near the pool are always hard to find...these are seats on the deck above the pool deck, looking over at the pool deck. They are in full sun. If you think those seats are good seats, then this is a good deal.

Are priority tender tickets really useful, or does it really not matter? I find them useful, in that you can go to the tender at any time and as early as you want.

Would I really use the concierge service? I use it all the time, for coffee and capachino in the morning, and some times even a light breakfast. Stopping there in the afternoon for a nice hot cup of tea is always nice, and peaceful. Cocktail time is a time to meet fellow cruisers enjoy a drink or two and have some yummy appertizers. The also offer dessert cookies and chocolate covered strawberries.

Do they really matter? To me they do. These extra are like fast passes and if there is a skating rink on the ship you are cruising on, those seats save you the extra time of having to wait for about a half hour to see the show...which I might add is one of the highlights of the ship.

As far as cost goes it's entirely up to you. But here is something I would also consider. Where are your children going to sleep? There may be a pull out sofa in the room (make sure because not all GS have them) that is where you and your DH will have to sleep and the boy and girl will have to sleep on the two twin beds. So be ready to sleep on a pull out sofa...make sure you ask for an egg crate matress).

I hope this adresses all your questions. Have a great trip what ever you choose.

Rev

I agree with a lot of posters here with the idea of booking a balcony and an inside cabin for the children - but....the ages of the op's children were 10 & 13. Since we are travelling with a 13 and an 11 yr old, would I feel secure with them in their own cabin? Simple answer is no.

If they were a few years older, I might change my mind on that but right now they are too young and a GS will give us the space we need.

Archived