Anyone ever gotten a kidney infection upon return home?

jschafer6161

We've been home 3 weeks from our southern caribbean cruise. Last week our 6 year old was admitted into the hospital for severe double kidney infections. We've been here 5 days and expect 2 more days. The bacteria she has is resistant to all but 2 antibiotics and those are IV only. Tomorrow she will get a PICC line so we can go home with the IV antibiotics, or she would have to stay here 2 weeks!!! I'm just wondering if this is a fluke thing or if anyone else has ever heard of this. Thank you.

Julie - I have not heard of this happening and I don't remember it ever being mentioned on the board. I hope your child will get over it soon. Did the doctor give you any indication of what could have caused the infection?

Sorry to hear your daughter is ill and hope she recovers quickly.

We've been on over 80 cruises and never got anything resembling what you mention, thankfully, nor have I ever heard of anyone contracting such a thing.

I've read these boards for many, many years and never heard mention of kidney infections related to cruising.

Seems it most likely is coincidental to your having recently cruised.

Again, wishes for speedy recovery.

Did your daughter drink anything that was not pre bottled while off the ship? also did she drink as much ON the ship as usual?

I suffer from frequent bladder and Kidney infections. partly do to my other medical problems, but I know what exaserbates them.

It is less likely she got it from the ship, though you never know about bathroom habits of children in the kids center either.

Sorry this happened and hope she will be fine soon.

and No I have never heard of this happening before so it is not a common thing.

Unfortunately, a kidney infection probably would have occurred had she not taken a cruise--just one of those things!

My daughter got a very bad kidney infection a week prior to her 1st year of college....she was one miserable freshman!

Your daughter will improve--it just takes time! Best wishes!

We've been home 3 weeks from our southern caribbean cruise. Last week our 6 year old was admitted into the hospital for severe double kidney infections. We've been here 5 days and expect 2 more days. The bacteria she has is resistant to all but 2 antibiotics and those are IV only. Tomorrow she will get a PICC line so we can go home with the IV antibiotics, or she would have to stay here 2 weeks!!! I'm just wondering if this is a fluke thing or if anyone else has ever heard of this. Thank you.

This bacterial infection is not caused by cruising. If you "google" you'll find common causes for it.

Thanks for your replies. I didn't think so either. However, the bacteria is resistant to all antibiotics except 2 and they are both IV meds. The doctors are very perplexed where she would pick up such a strong bug and had asked if we had traveled or visited anyone in jail. The urologist said it isn't common, but being in and out of hot tubs, hot springs and pools with a wet bathing suit all could cause such a thing. She also has kidney reflux so that's another thing not in her favor. I appreciate all the comments, and I sure hope I have 80 cruises under my belt some day!!!!

If I'm reading correctly, she got it 2 weeks after being home from the cruise. Just wondering if it could have taken that long to show up if she did, in fact, pick up something on the ship.

Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Thanks for your replies. I didn't think so either. However, the bacteria is resistant to all antibiotics except 2 and they are both IV meds. The doctors are very perplexed where she would pick up such a strong bug and had asked if we had traveled or visited anyone in jail. The urologist said it isn't common, but being in and out of hot tubs, hot springs and pools with a wet bathing suit all could cause such a thing. She also has kidney reflux so that's another thing not in her favor. I appreciate all the comments, and I sure hope I have 80 cruises under my belt some day!!!!

Did they mention what in particular they were thinking when they mentioned have you traveled or visited anyone in jail? When I think of illnesses associated with traveling I think hepatitis or malaria and airborne illnesses while on a plane. I am trying to figure out what they could be thinking when they said traveling or visiting someone in jail when talking about a kidney infection.

I wish your little girl a speedy recovery.

Karysa

Archived