Help... Questions about Mariner of the Seas

My family is thinking about an Oct. cruise on the Mariner. We were really impressed with Disney Magic's (Jan. 2008) evening entertainment (i.e. stage shows) and movies (they were showing Disney movies that had just come out over the Christmas period). When there was some downtime in the cabin for our kids, there was the disney channel ( plus some other standard channels ). There were also a varied list of movies (not all Disney i.e. Transformers) that were shown that you did not have to pay for. Most of the movies were probably just released on video. I don't believe they had any pay tv channels.

On the Mariner, are the movies shown in the theatre fairly current? Do they cater more to adults and/or should there be some kid friendly type movies as well? What about t.v. on the Mariner, what can be expected there? What kind of channels are typically there and would movies be all pay for view type ones?

Are some of the stage shows family oriented, or is the evening entertainment geared towards adults?

Thanks

My family is thinking about an Oct. cruise on the Mariner. We were really impressed with Disney Magic's (Jan. 2008) evening entertainment (i.e. stage shows) and movies (they were showing Disney movies that had just come out over the Christmas period). When there was some downtime in the cabin for our kids, there was the disney channel ( plus some other standard channels ). There were also a varied list of movies (not all Disney i.e. Transformers) that were shown that you did not have to pay for. Most of the movies were probably just released on video. I don't believe they had any pay tv channels.

On the Mariner, are the movies shown in the theatre fairly current? Do they cater more to adults and/or should there be some kid friendly type movies as well? What about t.v. on the Mariner, what can be expected there? What kind of channels are typically there and would movies be all pay for view type ones?

Are some of the stage shows family oriented, or is the evening entertainment geared towards adults?

Thanks

I don't know how old your kids are, but mine....at 9 and 13 on our first Mariner Cruise and at 11 and 15 on our last Liberty cruise never had time to watch any tv. By the time they were back in the cabin...they were sleeping! We even offerred them the option to rent an in cabin movie and the declined because it was already late and they knew they would fall asleep. By the time the woke up in the morning the ship was already buzzing with activity.

Not sure about your kids ages, but when we were on the Mariner, our DD was 12 and she got so involved in the kids activities that it was a chore to get her to have dinner with us! To this day she still keeps in touch with the kids she met on that cruise.

I don't have all of the compasses but on our 3/15/09 sailing movies included: Wall-E, Get Smart, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Baby Mama, Swing Vote, Iron Man, Hancock and The Incredible Hulk.

RCCL has an excellent young person program, Adventure Ocean. We've seen children refusing to leave the program to have dinner with their parents. The young people really love this program. Try this link,

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000Z9-h_UzA6iu9i5zdEQcrNhy:12hdhuaq2;jsessionid=0000iypARf-UF6QkKBrKz-cWxCL:12hdhu93n?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=2712&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq

Have a great cruise on RCCL!

Rick and Deirdra

I know this isn't what you were asking...but my children have never watched television while cruising. They have been soooo busy! So much else to do! When they were sitting in the room waiting for us to get ready for dinner or such...they were content to look at the channels that show ships position and such, as well as the channel that highlighted onboard activities!

Our family has cruised Mariner 5 times while on the East coast and agree 100% with the other poster's comments about the kids/teens programs and activities. That said, the TV has a fairly good selection of channels and PPV programming. The movies in the theater always seemed to be fairly current, but we never went to the movie theater.

As for the live shows, there are many that are very much appropriate for family fare including the musical revues and (usually) the headliner entertainer. They always have a comedian or two during the week and most of the time they have two sets with the more adult oriented one being late at night. These are clearly marked in the daily Compass and they make announcements before the show. Even the "adult" shows are not really that risque, but are definately geared more for an adult audience.

The "Love & Marriage" show and "Quest" are not really for children, although there always seem to be some dolts that bring their kids anyway.

One thing you do not want to miss is the Ice Show. It is probably one of the highlights of any Voyager class cruise for all ages.

Archived