5 days before cruise-AB assigned HC cabin-advise?

wg6530

Hi, I booked a balcony guarantee on IOS 4/12/2009 (this Sunday). I was just assigned an HC cabin. We are AB and hope there are no disabled passengers who need the room at this late date. My brother is a para, and I'd never want to take a cabin someone needs. We are certainly willing to move if a fellow passenger needs the HC. Is there any way to know if someone needs it? Should we contact the Purser's desk?

If they don't move us, I have a (silly?) question. How do you keep the water from flowing out of a roll-in shower, especially is the seas are rough? Just extra towels or is there another way?

Yeah, I know, I probably try to overthink stuff:).

TIA

No need for that cabin to sail empty if not booked so close to sailing.

Not much you can do other than being careful that the shower curtain is all the way around and wipe it up with towels.

Thanks for the responses. I'll try to stop worring about the cabin.

It's a transatlantic cruise. I'll hope for calm seas for showering (and everything else), but I'm not counting on it. Not many ports. If we wait until we are in port to shower, nobody will come near us.:eek:

First, I have to commend you on your thoughtfulness. My husband suffered a stroke a few years back, and we require an HA cabin whenever we cruise. Because the number of HA cabins is very limited, we try to book at least a year in advance. So thank you so much for thinking of others. Having said that, I would say not to worry about taking the cabin at this point since the cruise is only a few days away. As far as water overflowing from the shower, just use additional towels as needed. My husband and I have cruised in some pretty rough weather and have never had a flooding problem that a few towels couldn't handle.

Thank you again for your thoughtfulness. Enjoy your cruise!:)

Thanks for the responses. I'll try to stop worring about the cabin.

It's a transatlantic cruise. I'll hope for calm seas for showering (and everything else), but I'm not counting on it. Not many ports. If we wait until we are in port to shower, nobody will come near us.:eek:

I really didn't have a problem with the water flowing out of the shower. But then I tend to wet down and turn off the water, soap up, then rinse...so the water isn't running constantly. Maybe that makes the difference?

Anyway, have a lovely cruise!

As an AB who has had to get used to HC facilities since my DH started using a wheelchair, I have one piece of advice: put a towel or bathmat in front of the commode. The last thing you want to do is get up in the middle of the night to use the facilities and slip on a wet floor.:eek:

I have had an accessible cabin for 27 cruises. Other than the first 2 in 1992 flooding has never been a problem. They have a perimiter drain that catches the majority of water. I shower sitting down. I have no idea if standing would make a difference. Enjoy your cruise you are a breath of fresh air.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I feel much better after hearing your opinions. I'm sure there are a few AB people who abuse the system and take accessible cabins they do not need. I wish to believe it is a tiny fraction of the population, though I know that's all it takes to tie up the cabins. Of course, they will never apologize, but the rest of us are ashamed of them.

At this point, I'm looking forward to seeing the cabin up close. I've been curious about the accessible facilities -- my husband and I have talked about bringing my brother along on a cruise. He'd be a great travel companion. He's a para--he's very adaptable with amazingly strong shoulders. He's finishing graduate school soon and hopefully will be get a job (and some vacation time) soon. I'll take some photos of the cabin for him.

I'll be sure to put down a towel or mat by the toilet. I broke my ankle on a cruise several years ago. Coworkers still kid me about it now and then. I'd never live it down if I were hurt again.

I didn't know about the perimeter drain in the bathroom. Bet it helps a lot if the ship is rocking. Between that drain and some extra towels, all should be well.

Now I can move on and worry about something else (like packing and airline hassles). Oh well, at least I can laugh at my worry habit.

Thanks again. :o

don't know if you will have a problem with the shower, but if you do then roll the towels and create a dam around the perimeter (other side of drain) of the roll-in shower. It's the most effective way to keep the water in check.

Candy

The pictures on those sites are quite good. Probably better than I'll take, but won't stop me from trying. It is now only 3 days until the cruise, and I am very exicited. Thanks for all the help.

One thing that might help with your packing is to take a hanging organizer bag.........jewelry type, or a place to put your bath supplies. The HA cabins I have been in have very little space to put your cosmetics, shampoo, etc. I believe this is arranged so someone in a wheelchair can roll up under the sink. I have often wondered why designers of ships bathrooms and hotel bathrooms for the handicapped feel that those customers do not need any counter space!!! :confused:

• 2 years later...

If you really want to make sure the HC cabin is not needed go to the purser's desk upon boarding and tell them you are in a HC cabin that you are not in need of and would be willing to switch if needed. Sometimes people don't foresee their scooters and wheelchairs not fitting through the doorways.

I would like to thank you for your thoughtfulness. :D

First, thank you for your thoughtfulness. I suggest that you also check with the roll call for your cruise merely to see if anyone is disabled and is waitlisted for an HC cabin. You can also check with the guest services if you want, but I doubt that at that late time they will bother with trying to accommodate anyone, but you can never tell.

I am AB and travel with someone in a wheelchair and I do think that there is more problems with overflow when I shower than when the seat is used. I use the dam approach, but I don't necessary roll the towels, although you can. I just get extra towels from the room steward every day and use them. If the sea is calm, there probably won't be much problem, but any movement and we have even had water flowing around the toilet and to the door. I also concur about using the towels to mop the floor after every shower to make certain it is not wet, as it can be slippery.

Archived