Formal nights w/o jacket and tie?

cocos

Here's the thing--you wouldn't decide to go to the Opera or Ballet and wear shorts. You wouldn't go to a PTA meeting in a bikini. Why do folks book cruises on lines that "ask" you to dress for dinner, and then complain about dressing for dinner? I don't get it!

There ARE cruiselines that don't require anything dressy at all--if you don't want to go the "formal" route, why book that particular cruise???????

My sentiments exactly. It's not like they are forced to go to the dining room on that particular night, there are other options for dining on the ship that don't require formal attire.

OP- on the first formal night on the Westerdam last week I did not eat in the dining room due to dress code. I had a nasty sunburn on the back of my legs and there was no way I was putting on a formal gown and required undergarments! Instead I wore cotton capris and tee shirt. I walked with two members of my party (who were appropriately dressed) to the Pinnacle Bar. Everywhere I looked I saw tuxes, dark suits, and women in formal attire. I was very much out of place and therefore very uncomfortable just walking through the area. While you may be seated dressed less formally you may not feel comfortable. I did not. I ate at the Lido while the rest of my party was in the dining room.

We were on a cruise once where an international banker from South Africa wore a loose silk, high neck buttoned ,long sleeve shirt in black which was worn on the outside over matching black silk pants and dress shoes. He looked very sharp and said in some oriental countries where he traveled that this was considered formal wear. He looked very sharp but also very comfortable

Mygate

Guest TropicOne
On formal nights is it necesary for men to use jacket and tie? Could a shirt with sleeves and a vest be enough?

OOPS,wrong post :o

I even made sure our teenager had a proper dark jacket & tie,

with his dockers, like suggested earlier.

its one part of the classic cruise that HAL offers that is kinda nice IMO

a law is a law, a rule a rule and a code a code.

they should be adheared to, but unfortunatly, its not always the case

I just got off the Eurodam and I will tell you that on FORMAL night I saw a guy in the dinning room with a Polo shirt( complete with horse) , boat shoes, no socks and NOBODY said anything. They should stop this charade and let people wear what they want.

I am sitting there in a suit watching this and saying to myself: this is stupid - he has it right..

Here we go again - All this has been said many, many times before.

One other point regarding HAL's Dress Code:

T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours.

How many time do we see this portion of the Code violated by inconsiderate passengers.

And what does this have to do with the original question??????

Pay attention!

We are quite new to cruising (okay, I'll admit it - this will be our second cruise!), and one of the things we like about the experience, and which drew us to it in the first place, is the formal nights.

The chance to be in an attractive dining room with well-dressed servers and superb meals makes us want to be nicely dressed. While formal isn't the only way to do that, it makes a nice change for us to don our formal wear every few nights and look like a million dollars.

We actually prefer cruise lines which do formal nights, and would likely not go on any which abandoned the custom. Personally, for formal wear, I prefer a tuxedo since I wear a suit every day at work and consider it just smart work clothes.

I think it does boil down to personal preference and it's nice that there is a variety of cruise lines offering different experiences, rather than too many offering all the same approach.

On formal nights is it necesary for men to use jacket and tie? Could a shirt with sleeves and a vest be enough?

You should be fine, but be prepared to eat in the Lido if they turn you away. I have seen far less dressy attire in the dining room on formal night than a long sleeve shirt, vest and slacks. I personally bring a jacket, but it is kind of ridiculous as I wear it for about 5 minutes on the entire cruise. Just long enough to walk from the cabin to the table and then it comes off and spends the rest of the evening on the back of a chair.

I think guys have it a whole lot easier than women.

Over the years I have read many dress code posts...Most seem to be about suits, jackets, ties, tuxedos for men...I have read where men were not allowed in the dining room without a jacket or tie, etc...I have never read a post where a women was not allowed in the dining room because she wasn't wearing a gown or dress on formal nights...Many women, including my wife, wear dressy pants and top.

It doesn't seem too difficult to me for a women to follow the dress code on formal night...But then I am a man...I wonder if many others feel the guys have it easier?

It doesn't seem too difficult to me for a women to follow the dress code on formal night...But then I am a man...I wonder if many others feel the guys have it easier?

Well, men usually have one outfit to wear for all the formal nights, and women like to change about. I guess we wouldn't have to do that, but we might get strange looks from our dinner partners if we wore the same outfit every formal night. (Okay, I'm down to one outfit for every 2-3 nights, but sometimes long cruises have quite a few formal nights).

We were on a cruise once where an international banker from South Africa wore a loose silk, high neck buttoned ,long sleeve shirt in black which was worn on the outside over matching black silk pants and dress shoes. He looked very sharp and said in some oriental countries where he traveled that this was considered formal wear. He looked very sharp but also very comfortable

Mygate

He should have been sent straight up to the lido, especially since he is a 'banker'!;)

I just got off the Eurodam and I will tell you that on FORMAL night I saw a guy in the dinning room with a Polo shirt( complete with horse) , boat shoes, no socks and NOBODY said anything. They should stop this charade and let people wear what they want.

I am sitting there in a suit watching this and saying to myself: this is stupid - he has it right..

See, that's what you get on the 'Euro' Dam, my favorite(not) ship!

Over the years I have read many dress code posts...Most seem to be about suits, jackets, ties, tuxedos for men...I have read where men were not allowed in the dining room without a jacket or tie, etc...I have never read a post where a women was not allowed in the dining room because she wasn't wearing a gown or dress on formal nights...Many women, including my wife, wear dressy pants and top.

This anecdote may be quite dated (1/2 Century ago), but it does put things in their "Proper" perspective:

The Dutchess of Windsor (no less), at the time considered THE ! model of fashion for the World as well as THE most famous woman, etc. etc., was refused entrance to the Dining Room (in an upscale hotel) for wearing PANTS ! Mind you, this ensemble was something custom designed for her by Yves Saint Laurent and had set the fashion world on its head, AND been featured on the cover of Time ! the week before.

Now, HAL even suggests "Pants Suits" :eek: for "Formal" wear.

I think guys have it a whole lot easier than women.

Methinks most women do not realize how truly uncomfortable formal wear for men is. One has to be stiff and starched, tied up tight at the neck and with extra layers of corseting around the middle (vest or cummerbund).

While women can wear something sheer, gauzy, loose and flowing and be the height of fashion ! I have suffered the ridiculousness of this many times in the sweltering Uber-Formal atmosphere of the Bayreuth Festival.

He should have been sent straight up to the lido, especially since he is a 'banker'!;)

While travel for most is enlightening and educational, the diversity of just what exactly is "Formal" should not be limited to one's own Western European perspective. What is the height of formality in India, South Africa, SE Asia, Japan and other corners of the World is frequently far more "elegant", varied and colorful (and expensive) than the laughable Black & White (unimaginative) "Penguin Suits" that would satisfy some stuffy Maitre 'd.

As more of a lesson: IF the 2nd Coming were to happen onboard any HAL-DAM on Formal Night, should HE be denied entrance to the Dining Room ?

Just Asking

Jacket and tie yes, but those sunglasses should be banned

The Tuxedo (or Dinner Jacket) is Semi-Formal EVENING wear (just ask any London tailor). ;)

Thus: Sun Glasses could/should never ever be worn with a "Tux" as it is NOT to be worn in Daylight. :p

FORMAL evening/dinner wear is correctly "White Tie & Tailcoat" ! :rolleyes:

Hope this deflates the unnecessary "Pretension Factor" from all current, previous and future (and there will be more) discussions of "Proper" HAL Dining Room attire. :confused:

99% don't even know of what they speak, which has yet to dissuade them from doing so. :D

I'm one of those people who dislikes wearing a tie. I have a dark suit and the first formal night I wear my suit and a tie. I look around carefully at what the rest of the folks are wearing and the next formal night, I usually skip the tie in favor of a nice shirt with a T shirt type collar.

I had to deviate from my plans on our last cruise, when we were invited to the Captain's table for the second formal night. DW insisted on the tie.

All of our cruises have been on the longer side and it seems that the first night is the most formal and then it becomes a bit less rigid. If I see a good number of men without ties, I join them. We haven't been on Holland in a while and I'll be prepared to wear a tie.

Methinks most women do not realize how truly uncomfortable formal wear for men is. One has to be stiff and starched, tied up tight at the neck and with extra layers of corseting around the middle (vest or cummerbund).

While women can wear something sheer, gauzy, loose and flowing and be the height of fashion ! I have suffered the ridiculousness of this many times in the sweltering Uber-Formal atmosphere of the Bayreuth Festival.

:D This is one woman who, through long experience, is most comfortable in something very similar to men's formal wear.

Canadian (and British) barristers must wear "robes" when appearing before certain courts. The kit I wryly refer to my Batman Outfit includes a high white wing collar shirt, with neck tabs and cufflinks; a fitted waistcoat (think of a close fitting vest, but then add tight long sleeves), matching black or pinstripe trousers, and an enormous gown over it all, rather like a graduation robe. In wool. In summer.

This rig may be hot if the room is not air conditioned, but is never uncomfortable if it fits properly. Even the very high wing collar is fine, as long as the collar size is correct.

Sorry, gentlemen....comfort issues won't get you out of formal wear. And few men have experience with the high heels women are expected to wear with their formal attire! :eek:

Archived