Purchase of liquor on board?

KarlKruiser

On other cruises, we have been able to purchase individual bottles of liquor that we kept in the room for night caps or cocktails on the veranda. I see that you can purchase the bon voyage package for a bottle and some mixers, however, the price seemed steep for what you get. Does anyone know if the ship sell bottles on board that can be consumed on board, for other than the bon voyage pricing? On other cruises, duty free shops sold liquor and at reasonable pricing.

We did the 16 day Transatlantic on Journey in December, and the official rule was two bottles of wine per stateroom on embarkation, for consumption in your cabin or taking to dinner with a corkage fee. However we took on two bottles in a carryon and two in a checked bagged no problem, and were able to take on other bottles as we made stops in Spain and the Canary islands, never a problem, even the one time a bottle was just in a plastic bag.

They do scan and/or search carryons each time you board, and I do understand that on other Azamara cruises they might confiscate and hold them till the end.

My impression was that they were more interested in preventing hard liquor from coming onboard, but I never did hear of anything being confiscated. If I wanted hard liquor, I would probably just suck it up and order through the bon voyage packages. I'd still try to bring wine aboard, just a bottle or two at a time, not really "hidden" but not obvious to the other passengers either. Maybe they'd let it pass as they did for my trip.

As far as the other cruises with liquor that you could buy and consume, I do remember that Holland America did that at least through 2001, which was very convenient, but alas I don't think any of them do that now.

Archived