cruising europe with an infant

nole03

I need some advice and opinions. I am due May 31st with my first child. My husband and I cruised the Mediterranean last summer with both of our parents and had the best trip of our lives. We would love to take another cruise with them and I am looking into Northern Europe. I know I need to wait and see what kind of baby I have...sleeping, eating etc....but is it possible or even a relaxing vacation to take a 12 or 13 month old with us?

It's possible, but in no way will it be "relaxing"! You won't be able to do what you did before--and you'll have to bring all of the "baby stuff"--stollers, diapers, special food (if any), etc...that you will need for the entire trip. European cruises are VERY port intensive--and you spend alot of time ashore...will you and baby be able to handle that, without the naps, and the regular schedule?

I know folks do it, but that wouldn't be my choice...I'd do a cruise where the ports didn't matter too much, so I could stay aboard the ship when the little one was having an "off" day!

I am the mother of 4 and if I were going to do Europe with an infant...I would do it before they start to walk. I would say at 3 to 5 months. That way you and DH could actually carry the baby in a sling when a stroller is not feesible......but you will need loads of diapers you know. Not sure how or where to get them inEurope but I would think that it would be easier to pack them in everyone's checked luggage.

Please don't bring your whole house with you either......you do not need a baby tub, playpack etc....

Babies can sleep in stollers or on very simple safe floor beds that can be folded up. A small baby can get by with a sponge bath.

You certainly will not have a relaxing vacation but at least you will get to see Europe again...and do it before the baby starts to really grow.

now, an additional 2 cents.........a first baby can seem overwhelming, and with grandparents that want you to travel with them, it may only be compounded.

Remember, that the baby comes first and I can assure you that your baby will be turning 3 before you realize it and travel will get lots easier. Of course by then you will have another baby and European travel willnot be missed. Looking at my signature, you can see that I traveled extensively as a single person, however, when the kids came along, and I thought I would never see Europe again, I adjusted my thinking very nicely.

Before you know it, those European trips will be back and your kids will be old enough to understand.....then you will be sending them off to school and going crazy trying to find a time that all can travel together again!

Enjoy the baby!!!!!!

Thank you very much for your input. I think I'm just having a hard time excepting that we will not be able to go back to Europe for a while. We took our European cruise last summer knowing this and thought of it as our last big trip before we started our family but I started reading and found that others were still traveling and doing these vacations with children.

I do think we should probably stick with a Caribbean cruise, possible on Royal Caribbean...one that has the royal baby programs. We live in Orlando, so no need to fly if we do this either.

Thanks again!

Congratulations!

I would second the great advice you're already received.

My suggestion, since I live in Europe, would be to stick to cruising the Caribbean but plan a land trip to Europe. Travel in Europe with a baby is not a problem and would be cheaper than a cruise. I've gone all over alone with my three children at all sorts of ages.

There was a small baby on our Med cruise but I could see that it wasn't easy for the mom. She even did an excursion with the baby, with relatives.

The problem with the cruise is that to see anything, you have to get off the ship, a project in itself with a baby. By contrast, you'll see a lot more if you take a train and actually stay in the center of the city you want to visit. If the baby gets fussy, you can skamper back to a hotel, easier than get back to the port, walk back to the ship, go through the ship's security, etc.

I second the recommendation of taking your first baby before he or she is 6 months old. Once they crawl and eat food, things get more complicated. You have to worry about baby proofing, etc.

They grow up so fast and there are easier vacation options while they're little. Waiting a little later on means you'll enjoy your cruise more. Northern Europe can also rain, even in summer.

Sticking to the Caribbean with small babies means it wont be as expensive, you don't have to travel so far to get there, you'll probaby get better weather and still enjoy the cruise experience, without the pressure to visit every port.

Congratulations!

I would second the great advice you're already received.

My suggestion, since I live in Europe, would be to stick to cruising the Caribbean but plan a land trip to Europe. Travel in Europe with a baby is not a problem and would be cheaper than a cruise. I've gone all over alone with my three children at all sorts of ages.

There was a small baby on our Med cruise but I could see that it wasn't easy for the mom. She even did an excursion with the baby, with relatives.

The problem with the cruise is that to see anything, you have to get off the ship, a project in itself with a baby. By contrast, you'll see a lot more if you take a train and actually stay in the center of the city you want to visit. If the baby gets fussy, you can skamper back to a hotel, easier than get back to the port, walk back to the ship, go through the ship's security, etc.

I second the recommendation of taking your first baby before he or she is 6 months old. Once they crawl and eat food, things get more complicated. You have to worry about baby proofing, etc.

They grow up so fast and there are easier vacation options while they're little. Waiting a little later on means you'll enjoy your cruise more. Northern Europe can also rain, even in summer.

Sticking to the Caribbean with small babies means it wont be as expensive, you don't have to travel so far to get there, you'll probaby get better weather and still enjoy the cruise experience, without the pressure to visit every port.

I absolutely agree. Our DD (now 10) was a very difficult baby; incredibly colicky, and so loud our neighbour, 4 houses away, once heard her crying from inside his garage when he was using his powersaw and wearing ear protectors :eek:

I'd have hated to take her on a cruise; partly because it would NOT have been a relaxing holiday but partly because I'd have worried so much about her disturbing other passengers! :)

Until she was 2 or 3 we took land holidays at Center Parcs (pretty much the most child friendly holiday here in the UK) and after that we camped. You have to pack SO much stuff when they're small that you need to make holidays as easy as possible so that there's a possibility that you'll have a nice relaxing time!

I'd save cruising until baby is potty trained (so he/she can go in the pool) and old enough to be left in timeout club for just a little while so that you can have some "me" time; even if that's sunbathing with a cocktail for an hour or so.

Our DD was 8 when we took our first cruise with her and she was old enough to cope with the European city excursions (LOTS of walking); she could come to the evening shows with us, and just had such a great time.

I'm not suggesting you leave it 8 years though! Depending on what kind of baby you are blessed with you'll know when it's right to cruise but certainly for Europe I would leave it until baby's older. As other posters have said, land holidays in Europe are much easier with little ones; otherwise Caribbean cruises will be better (just bear in mind baby will only be able to go in the "baby splash zone" if there is one, and not in the pools.

Good luck!

We live in UK so don't have the transatlantic flight but we are going on a Baltic Cruise on 29th May with our 15 month old. I will be more than happy to let you know how we get on.

We are very lucky to have a very laid back baby and last year travelled to Mexico when she was 5.5 months and Orlando at Christmas (just before she was 12 months). Transatlantic flights are not the easiest with a baby but are doable and I think if you have the time to do the flight, rest for a couple of days before a cruise and find a cruise where you have some days at sea I dont see is it a an issue but as you say depending on your baby.

Wow, this is an intertesting thread. I am headed to China next year for a 4 city tour and my friend was going to come and bring her one year old daughter. I advised her it was not a good idea since this trip is pretty active i.e. lots of walking, lots of stairs, etc..

Curious to see how your trip goes!

Wow, this is an intertesting thread. I am headed to China next year for a 4 city tour and my friend was going to come and bring her one year old daughter. I advised her it was not a good idea since this trip is pretty active i.e. lots of walking, lots of stairs, etc..

Curious to see how your trip goes!

Wow, that kind of trip is just too much stress on a baby! Your friend is being selfish if she brings her. Sorry, but true!

Wow, that kind of trip is just too much stress on a baby! Your friend is being selfish if she brings her. Sorry, but true!

Not sure I agree with this. It very much depends on the type of baby you have. I know my daughter is happy enough riding round in her pushchair and if this was in the UK or China I doubt she would know the difference. Also she is able to sleep pretty much anywhere. She deals with jetlag better than me or my husband as well! The stress is more on the parent who has to deal with all of the pushing of the pushchair and climbing the steps with a baby and the not being able to go anywhere in the evening because the baby is asleep.

We took our 9 month old son in the opposite direction last November, from the UK to Orlando for a Caribbean cruise. We found it to be the perfect age for his first cruise, he was crawling but not walking and just starting to "cruise" around furniture and the rounded corners onboard a cruise ship were great for him. The flight went smoothly with him sleeping most of the way. You won't need huge bags, diapers are available in every store in Europe and the baby will be eating solid food by then. A word of warning though, eating in the main restaurants may be a little difficult, keeping a 12 month old happy for 1 1/2 hours sat in a high chair is nearly impossible. Northern Europe would be a lot more child friendly than the Mediterranean, and I would say that it would still be a nice relaxing holiday, just different to the ones you had before parenthood.

Not sure I agree with this. It very much depends on the type of baby you have. I know my daughter is happy enough riding round in her pushchair and if this was in the UK or China I doubt she would know the difference. Also she is able to sleep pretty much anywhere. She deals with jetlag better than me or my husband as well! The stress is more on the parent who has to deal with all of the pushing of the pushchair and climbing the steps with a baby and the not being able to go anywhere in the evening because the baby is asleep.

I was thinking in terms of formula/milk/pastuerized milk/simple foods and the like. One would need to brings lots of stuff for the child to eat......Sorry, but I would never give such a small child food from such a far off place. My hometown stir fry, maybe....but not in China.

Ok, so everyone will now say that the food is great....I would probably agree.......but small child not used to it...no way. I would have a concern for the water as well, for a small child, do they even provide bottled water? Is it really bottled? who would know? Now, if the child is still drinking formula.....we all know that it must be brought from home. Just read the papers.

Sorry, I stand by it as a selfish thing to do, to bring a small child.....just get a someone to watch the child back home. I don't recall mention of a father/husband, so if there is none then there must be some sort of support system for the mother and child to rely on. If there is one, and he is in the picture...let him take responsibilty for the child while the mom is away. Just make arrangements.

^I took my then 18 month old daughter to China last Summer. It was an amazing experience!

Sure it takes some careful planning, and even more careful 'doing', but you can do it safe, and not 'bother' people at all! She got a lot more out of going with us to a foreign country than she would have being sad left with someone other than her parents at home.

Now I realize we are not the 'normal' family. In fact she just turned 2 and has been to 15 countries, 24 states, and over 130 amusement parks but some kids are good travelers and if you're a good parent it's easy to keep them safe, clean, happy, and healthy along the way.

Now I'm off to finish packing for our Transatlantic Navigator Cruise with her on Thursday!

Oh, and here are some China pictures:

greatwall_24_837.jpg

The Locals LOVED seeing a Western Child, she was a bigger attraction to a lot of them then the actual attractions!

greatwall_31_173.jpg

At every stop we made on the tour there were things for her to explore, touch, and learn!

greatwall_44_210.jpg

She even met some friends on the Great Wall!

greatwall_46_197.jpg

We had an amazing time, and are going back again this summer!

I've traveled all over Asia, on two 30 day land tours and 4 cruises, and I can say without a doubt that depending on where in Asia your friend plans to travel, that part of the world can be very, very difficult and hazardous for an infant. Food and water issues abound and with an infant, not used to that kind of thing, they could get very ill. And again depending on where, medical care can be very, very sub par. And don't forget diseases that we don't have here in the US pop up all the time in Asia. Remember Bird Flu? And that was in a developed area like Hong Kong but killed many people and caused cruise ships to stop cruising there for a time. Asia is a wonderful place, but for infants it can be a real problem.

^I took my then 18 month old daughter to China last Summer. It was an amazing experience!

Sure it takes some careful planning, and even more careful 'doing', but you can do it safe, and not 'bother' people at all! She got a lot more out of going with us to a foreign country than she would have being sad left with someone other than her parents at home.

Now I realize we are not the 'normal' family. In fact she just turned 2 and has been to 15 countries, 24 states, and over 130 amusement parks but some kids are good travelers and if you're a good parent it's easy to keep them safe, clean, happy, and healthy along the way.

Now I'm off to finish packing for our Transatlantic Navigator Cruise with her on Thursday!

greatwall_24_837.jpg

The Locals LOVED seeing a Western Child, she was a bigger attraction to a lot of them then the actual attractions!

greatwall_31_173.jpg

At every stop we made on the tour there were things for her to explore, touch, and learn!

greatwall_44_210.jpg

greatwall_46_197.jpg

BRAVO!!!! There is more than one way to raaise a child.. and yours is lucky indeed.

What a lucky family! I'm so glad you posted. LOVE the pictures.

Best,

Mia

Wow this is excellent and I hope I am able to do something like this with my daughter regardless of what age she is.

Agree you have to be extra careful and plan more but chinese babies survive eating and drinking there so there must be something to eat and drink!

I think you have to be an adventurous traveller before you have a baby to feel comfortable going to such a far flung place and it's not for everyone

greatwall_24_837.jpg

greatwall_31_173.jpg

greatwall_44_210.jpg

greatwall_46_197.jpg

Very nice pix and it looks as though she travels well! You are lucky. My kids travel well and they have been doing it since they were 2. However, I believe the OP is not so thrilled with her friend taking the child along, and I don't blame her as she will also be subject to the childs needs as well. For that reason, the OP has the right to not want the child to go and maybe her friend should consider this also. Personally, I think the OP needs to voice her opinion to her friend, not here.

Glad you can do so much traveling, be it business or pleasure, most of us need to wait until the kids are older to do far off travel, if at all.

I think that the posters on CC make it appear that everyone in the world is doing this type of travel and that those of us who do not feel comfortable with young kids in countries where the food has been known to be tainted or virus' spread (SARS) are somehow wrong. CC represents only a very small percentage of the cruising population.

BTW, was the OP even talking about a cruise, I don't remember or was it a land trip?

So sorry, thought I was on the taking the 1yo to China thread!!! Not the Venice thread. Easy to make that mistake since the pix were for the Great Wall. Anyway my post should be over there...don't know how to move it ....but I am fairly confident that posters on this thread are reading the China thread as well!:D

I need some advice and opinions. I am due May 31st with my first child. My husband and I cruised the Mediterranean last summer with both of our parents and had the best trip of our lives. We would love to take another cruise with them and I am looking into Northern Europe. I know I need to wait and see what kind of baby I have...sleeping, eating etc....but is it possible or even a relaxing vacation to take a 12 or 13 month old with us?

We did a Northern Europe cruise when our son was 17 months old. He was already walking and eating regular food, so that made it easier. We had a great time, really. The only bad part was our flight back from London to Florida, he cried for 10 hours straight, but on our way there since it was at night he slept the entire way, no problems.

We spent 2 full days in London from Friday and left Monday to go to the ship port via a local train. Then we boarded the ship to Amsterdam, France (took a 2hr bus to Paris. It was our second time there but our first with our son and I wanted a pic of the 3 of us in front of the Eiffel Tower), Ireland (Dublin and Cork), Hamburg Germany, Belgium (went to Brugge), Norway and Denmark. I highly recommend this trip, it was really very memorable, very different than any other trip we have ever done.

Because he was too little to participate in the kids club, the only thing we did with him was go to the toddler sessions the ship sponsored mostly on sea days. Here he would play with other children and age approprate toys. We did bring a DVD player and that helped a lot, especially during the long 2 hour dinners in the main dining room. The staff was very accomodating and because this was an older passenger crowd, they did not seem to mind him much. In fact, he reminded some of them of their grandchildren at home.

Also at each port we will try to find fun things for him to enjoy. In London he loved riding the Eye and playing with the birds at the park close to the Buckingham Palace. In Ireland we visited the Blarney castle and there is kids park right on the property which he enjoyed very much.

It was also very helpful the fact that he is a great sleeper and slept in his stroller whenever he got too tired. Lastly, if you can afford a balcony cabin it would come in very handy on sea days when the baby is taking a nap. You and your husband can just relax in the balcony while he sleeps instead of being in a dark cabin.

Hope this helps!!

Archived