Cruise/seasickness: Would it be a problem if kids don't usually get it?

luvtovaca

Would there be any chance my kids could be bothered by sea/motion sickness on our cruise if they have never had motion sickness before? They all do roller coasters, speed boats, larger ferries, etc. Anyone ever have a child never have a problem UNTIL a cruise?

Chances are they won't have a problem. The younger the child, the less they are bothered.

They do have medicines onboard SHOULD something occur! I wouldn't worry about it--and I wouldn't even broach the subject with the kids!!!

Would there be any chance my kids could be bothered by sea/motion sickness on our cruise if they have never had motion sickness before? They all do roller coasters, speed boats, larger ferries, etc. Anyone ever have a child never have a problem UNTIL a cruise?

Of course they could. There's a first time for everything. Be prepared and bring the appropriate medication. I wouldn't rely on the ship having something your child could use; check with your pediatrician before you go.

I struggle to understand the advice, "I wouldn't worry about it." Such posters don't have to worry- they aren't cruising with your kids when they are seasick because you weren't prepared.

Thanks for the responses. I agree with you both. While I doubt it will be a problem, (kids are 10 and 13 and never even car sickness) I think it is a good idea to be prepared and therefore, I will spend the $10 or so and get some of that Bonine something. Rather have it with me than spend a fortune on the ship for it!! I always pack a variety of OTC meds on trips just in case of colds, headaches, diarrhea, etc., so what's one more!? Thanks again!

I've heard that they make Bonine in a formulation for children, but I have not been able to find it. Can anyone tell me where to look?

ETA - drugstore dot com has it. Sorry for asking a question that google can quickly answer.

I would advise you to take motion sickness medication with you just in case. We just returned from an Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Eurodam. It was our 3rd cruise - the previous ones were W. Caribbean and Alaska. We were travelling with our 12 and 5 year old daughters. Besides the previous cruises both have been on numerous ferries as well as whale watching in a small boat in the Atlantic without ever showing any sign of sea-sickness. This trip on the Eurodam was very rough - windy and high seas and my older daughter ended up feeling nauseous off and on. We had gravol with us but she didn't feel sick enough to take it, she just felt off for most of the trip. It doesn't hurt to have the medication with you and you never know what the weather conditions might be.

I've heard that they make Bonine in a formulation for children, but I have not been able to find it. Can anyone tell me where to look?

ETA - drugstore dot com has it. Sorry for asking a question that google can quickly answer.

They have it here is the link.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp154238_333181_sespider/bonine/for_children_motion_sickness_tablets_berry_berry.htm

My son had never had any motion sickness, but on his first cruise when he was 8 we had very rough seas and he became sea sick. They didn't sell any medication on board for children, but they had wrist bands, so we bought those and they worked well for him. I would take something along just to be safe!

Archived