When will HAL assign cabin

flyhi120

After final payments are due, HAL will start assigning upgrades, So you are in the countdown. Sometimes you don't hear until you get there. But that is good news. If you are not getting an upgrade, you will get an FF right away! Good luck.

If you don't hear from HAL by the middle of May -- just start to check your immigration form at that time -- daily!!

Uh dah! I think they are sailing 5/2.

The middle of May might be a little too late!

We have a FF outside cabin guarantee with a possible upgrade. We are on the Volendam 5/02/2009 when will our cabin be assigned. Any other CC'S out there been in our situation??? Pattie

Patti, have a look at your roll call, it's been answered there too

We are going to Alaska in August and had booked an MM guarantee. We were assigned our cabin (with upgrade!) about 3 weeks ago.

Wow....that's super super early. I have never seen that on Hal....only on Princess. Maybe things are changing.

We are going to Alaska in August and had booked an MM guarantee. We were assigned our cabin (with upgrade!) about 3 weeks ago.

We are sailing mid-August, booked an MM - GTY, and a couple of weeks ago were upgraded to an outside! Now I see that the inside GTY we originally booked dropped another $100 (dropped $200 when they upgraded us).

Does anyone know if I should ask for a credit/refund? Or something else? Or, since we are now an outside does that take us out of the price drop on the original GTY? (It doesn't look like the outside category dropped in price this time).

Hope I'm making some sense! :D

We are sailing mid-August, booked an MM - GTY, and a couple of weeks ago were upgraded to an outside! Now I see that the inside GTY we originally booked dropped another $100 (dropped $200 when they upgraded us).

Does anyone know if I should ask for a credit/refund? Or something else? Or, since we are now an outside does that take us out of the price drop on the original GTY? (It doesn't look like the outside category dropped in price this time).

I booked a GTD VF. Upgraded to a VA 7031 (three weeks before final payment due). I noticed the price drop so I asked for and received the new price but was assigned back to a GTD VH.

TazzMann

For those that have received a cabin assignment before final payment can you tell me how you found this out? Did you book with a HAL PCC. The only way I know to find out your cabin # is on the online registration. It doesn't show anything until final payment has been made unless I'm incorrect. If you booked with a HAL PCC I could understand that. Can anyone educate me please? Thanks.

This also happened to us for our May 24th Alaska cruise. We had a H guar and were assigned a cabin upgrade in February to a category D. We received an email from HAL and also saw the change on the online registration section of the HAL website. In March there as a $100 PP price drop and when I contacted HAL they said if I wanted the price drop we would have to give up the upgrade and return to H guar status or cancel and rebook. They also added if we were to return to H guar status there was no guarantee that we would receive an upgrade and hinted that we probably would not. This was also added to their notes in our file. The upgrade we had received was to a good location and we decided to keep it and not worry about the $100 pp savings.

It seems many on Alaskan cruises are receiving upgrades several months early. Could this be to discourage cruisers from taking advantage of price drops as they may not receive the same upgrade a second time?

Our experience with guarantees has been varied, the last two Caribbean cruises we got our cabin about a week out. For an August New England/Canada we have been upgraded twice from HH to FF to DA, when price drooped we were told by PCC that we would need to go back to the HH guarantee.

The guaranteed cabin assignments are totally based how many people book in each category and how much they paid. If they need to cut prices they will often try to throw an upgrade at you if they don't think they can sell the higher priced rooms. Sometimes they will overbook the cheaper categories to ensure a full ship, and then they hold the higher selling prices on the more expensive rooms. That method also allows them to give out the higher priced rooms in the form of upgrades without having to cut the internet price and risk having their existing bookings call in and demand a discount. Most of the cruise lines will do tiered upgrades based on how much you paid or even offer cheap balcony upgrades to a few individuals to squeeze a little more money out without reducing internet prices and free up the lower category rooms for the guaranteed room bookers. Its all just a game to maximize profits.

The timing of the room assignment is pruely based on how long it takes them to sort out the overbooking on your category. Even if the ship is booked full, they will try to sell upgrades to free up the lower category rooms. Usually the longer it takes them to give you a room the better the chances you will get some sort of upgrade.

For those that have received a cabin assignment before final payment can you tell me how you found this out? Did you book with a HAL PCC. The only way I know to find out your cabin # is on the online registration. It doesn't show anything until final payment has been made unless I'm incorrect. If you booked with a HAL PCC I could understand that. Can anyone educate me please? Thanks.

Yes, I booked with HAL PCC that contacted me by letter after my last cruise last August. I had used the 800# for that cruise. With both, I had immediate e-mailed confirmations. This is also how I found out we had been assigned an outside cabin a couple of weeks ago. It's nice having it all in writing! :)

Thank you to ALL of you who responded so quickly. This board is so helpful and nice :)

I kind of thought that if you want a credit/refund it would probably move you back to your GTY spot. We are so happy to have been upgraded to an outside and it seems like a nice location (almost exactly mid-ship), that we will stay with it!!

Thank you again everyone. I've learned so much from this board and seeing how many years and posts some of you have, I'm just a baby!

Thanks again :D

Yes, I booked with HAL PCC that contacted me by letter after my last cruise last August. I had used the 800# for that cruise. With both, I had immediate e-mailed confirmations. This is also how I found out we had been assigned an outside cabin a couple of weeks ago. It's nice having it all in writing! :)

Thanks for answering my question...I appreciate it!

Archived