Book - Cruise Confidential

Grits53

OK, who was it who told us about this book? I ordered it from amazon and started it today. I have spent most of the afternoon reading it and had a hard time putting it down. I'm not going to say it's the best reading book I ever picked up, but it's very interesting to get a true "behind the scenes" look at the life of the crew of a Carnival ship......first the Fantasy, and then the Conquest. I might just have to stay up late to finish this book! :cool:

I will say that the author's view of Atlantis in Nassau makes me want to go there. We went to Nassau last year, but we did not go to Atlantis and were very underwhelmed with the part of Nassau that we visited on our own. We had said we didn't want to go back to Nassau, but now I want to see Atlantis. It sounds like a fabulous place!

Now, back to reading...... I would say I'd give a "book report" here after I've finished it, but that would spoil it for you! ;)

Just checked out this book at the library last week and read it in 2 days. You are right about not the best captivating reading. But because I could relate to alot of the story, I thought it was a great book. I am glad it I was able to get it at the library.

Just checked out this book at the library last week and read it in 2 days. You are right about not the best captivating reading. But because I could relate to alot of the story, I thought it was a great book. I am glad it I was able to get it at the library.

That is great that your library had it! I can't imagine our local library having this book, but I might just suggest it to them.

I did have to put in a request and they got it in from another library in the Tampa area, but only had to wait about a week. I am a reader and frequent the library at least twice a month, or I would go broke buying books.

I am a little too nervous about bringing library books on a cruise though. Too worried I might place it down somewhere and loose it. So for the cruise, I get new releases, that I can sell on ebay when I'm done. It works out well.

I am going to see if our local library has a copy.

You could donate your copy to your local library when you are done with it. :)

That is an idea. But I had another idea, to pass it around (by mail) to some of the friends I've made on various roll calls. :)

I bought the book two weeks ago at Borders bookstore. I took a cruise on the Conquest last week and read 1/2 on the cruise. The book was about the Conquest crew members. It was interesting reading because I was there. There was a CC Meet and Mingle and I asked the CD if he read the book. He has never heard of the book. Even the crew members did not know. It must be the 8month contracts and them forever changing ships. I asked about the crew parties but I kept missing them.

I read this book just after our last cruise. It did not surprise me at all to read how the crew views the passengers. The book also made me realize I am correct in giving only cash and no trinkets tot he crew as gifts.

I really want to read this book. About a year ago there was a thread on the board about alot of different cruise novels. Some light hearted, some mysteries, etc. I have tried searching for it but can't find it. I thought I saved it but I guess I didn't. Does anyone remember it and if so do you remember any of the book titles. I know Cruise Confidential was one for sure.

For those who asked, this is a first hand account of life "below the water line" on the Fantasy and then the Conquest, written by an American crew member. I think the part that amazes me most is how little sleep these people get, yet they still serve us with a smile. I know when I am sleep deprived, I get very grumpy!! :p I also think I will be tipping them a little heavier in the future. :cool:

I did have to put in a request and they got it in from another library in the Tampa area, but only had to wait about a week. I am a reader and frequent the library at least twice a month, or I would go broke buying books.

I am a little too nervous about bringing library books on a cruise though. Too worried I might place it down somewhere and loose it. So for the cruise, I get new releases, that I can sell on ebay when I'm done. It works out well.

Another option - I too am a voracious reader and feel a bit nervous about bringing library books with me as I am afraid I will lose them - so instead of shelling out big bucks for new releases I go to the 2nd hand bookstores, the library 'for sale' cart or places like 'salvation army' or value village where there are TONS of paperbacks for about $1 each or less - I then leave these in the library on the ship for others to enjoy (and free up some luggage space!)

Archived