Book - Cruise Confidential

Grits53

I was thinking the same thing. It really is amazing how much work a crew member does in a 24 hour period.

I bought it in paperback from Amazon. Easy reading. Learned allot.....more than I needed to know about how they feel about Americans....MOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Boy, they are busier than I realized & having more fun than we up above their decks.

Has anyone read this series of books? I ordered "Plague Ship", but thinking I need to read the whole series. BTW, is that an RCCL ship on the cover of the book?

http://www.amazon.com/Plague-Oregon-Files-Clive-Cussler/dp/0399154973#reader

I haven't read Cussler in *years*. My father loved the Dirk Pitt books so we always had them lying around the house, those and Tom Clancy. I'm more into the Age of Fighting Sail myself and have read the Aubrey/Maturin series six or seven times over and have started on the Hornblower series.

For some reason, the title in the first post puts me off a bit. It's too close to Bourdain's seminal "Kitchen Confidential" to sound like anything other than a bad knock-off on a cruise ship. Anyone read the two and want to offer a compare/contrast? Or is that too much like school work?

OK, who was it who told us about this book? I ordered it from amazon and started it today. I have spent most of the afternoon reading it and had a hard time putting it down. I'm not going to say it's the best reading book I ever picked up, but it's very interesting to get a true "behind the scenes" look at the life of the crew of a Carnival ship......first the Fantasy, and then the Conquest. I might just have to stay up late to finish this book! :cool:

I will say that the author's view of Atlantis in Nassau makes me want to go there. We went to Nassau last year, but we did not go to Atlantis and were very underwhelmed with the part of Nassau that we visited on our own. We had said we didn't want to go back to Nassau, but now I want to see Atlantis. It sounds like a fabulous place!

Now, back to reading...... I would say I'd give a "book report" here after I've finished it, but that would spoil it for you! ;)

Cruise Confidential is a slanted expose filled with unsubstantiated claims. Good read but I wouldn't call it non-fiction.

If you want to learn about the cruise industry. A book with researchable facts is:

Devils on the Deep Blue Sea: The Dreams, Schemes, and Showdowns That Built America's Cruise-Ship Empires

You can find it on Amazon.

Dan

Cruise Confidential is a slanted expose filled with unsubstantiated claims. Good read but I wouldn't call it non-fiction.

Dan

Now, I thought the same thing about "DEVILS ON THE DEEP BLUE SEA". Everyone's a Critic. ;)

Ordered it from Amazon a month ago. Read it in a week. Great book. Definitely lets you look at things differently. Especially the dining room. Lol the reference of the 'cows' at the Lido buffet was hilarious! It definitely shows you what these people have to go through every day and the rude passengers they put up with. This book definitely showed me tipping goes a loooong way! Enjoy!

[clip]If you want to learn about the cruise industry. A book with researchable facts is:

Devils on the Deep Blue Sea: The Dreams, Schemes, and Showdowns That Built America's Cruise-Ship Empires

You can find it on Amazon.

Dan

I have ordered both of these books from ABEbooks.com, which is usually the least expensive source. It is a group of over 40,000 independent booksellers.

Doc

What a coincidence that this topic should come up, as I received my copy of Cruise Confidential from Amazon just last week and have been slowly plugging away at it ever since. The author's writing style leaves a lot to be desired (he tends to repeat himself a lot...) but I'm finding the "view from below) pretty darn fascinating.

In conjunction, I also received What Time Is The Midnight Buffet?, Permanent Passenger, and A Stingray Bit My Nipple. I'm sure some of you here are familiar with Doug Lansky, the humorous travel writer? He's doing a lecture at this very moment up in Chico, which I wish I'd been able to attend. (didn't find out about it until the last moment, dangitall... :mad:)

Should get for my 20 yr old stepdaughter, she's "thinking" of going to work on a cruise ship ... thinks it would be a party all the time. Think it would be an eye opener for her self centered selfish little self to see what it is really like. :D

I got my copy of Cruise Confidential and Selling the Sea by Bob Dickinson.

I am a slow reader and have plowed through Cruise Confidential pretty quickly so far.

The stuff about the dining room and what the waiters have to go through is quite eye opening.

Bill

I downloaded this book for my reader yesterday because of the talk on this site and I just finished it about ten minutes ago. Good read. I have to say though I am a bit suspect about how true all that really was. It seems way overboard on many fronts. I also am sad to see that the guy had absolutely nothing nice to say about passengers. I haven't been on a cruise yet but I'm confident my family will not be the first skinny, non gluttonous, and generally pleasurable people to ever grace a carnival ship.

Without doubt I'm sure there are some doozies on the ship but for the most part they HAVE to be outnumbered by nice people.

Without doubt I'm sure there are some doozies on the ship but for the most part they HAVE to be outnumbered by nice people.

Oh yes, the majority of folks are out for a good time and that does not include boorish behavior toward the staff. I have the book on order, but I suspect it was written with a degree of revenge in mind by someone whose contract was not renewed.

Doc

Oh yes, the majority of folks are out for a good time and that does not include boorish behavior toward the staff. I have the book on order, but I suspect it was written with a degree of revenge in mind by someone whose contract was not renewed.

Doc

LOL I wish it had more pictures of everyone named too besides just one of the author. From how the book is every last person employed on the cruise ship is drop dead gorgeous, male and female, except for the odd duck out on every ship, and best of all...sex starved.

Archived