Book - Cruise Confidential

Grits53

Has anyone read this series of books? I ordered "Plague Ship", but thinking I need to read the whole series. BTW, is that an RCCL ship on the cover of the book?

http://www.amazon.com/Plague-Oregon-Files-Clive-Cussler/dp/0399154973#reader

I just read Plague Ship on my cruise last week!! It was a GREAT book!!!! Not totally about cruising, but it is part of the plot. Very entertaining.

I am about half done with the book (3 nights of reading).

Not really a Spoiler - but, When is he going to get rid of his Girlfriend?? LOL!!!

LOL I won't spoil it for you. But when I was reading all the chances the dude kept saying he had and how the paths he chose I always got the feeling he wrote that book knowing full well she was going to read it. Know what I mean?

I just finished this book last night myself. I'm not adding much new here, but I think it was a quick read, and very informative.

My gut tells me that his portrayal of himself and his personal exploits (or lack there of) my be a little embellished. However, I don't doubt the general work/life conditions he describes for the crew, and think anyone interested in such things should give this a read. This was the value in it for me.

I did not care much for "his" personal "America-bashing" attitude, but understand the uninformed resentment that a lot of the international crew might feel towards us based on what they see shipboard. After all the lifestyle most of us have while on a cruise is very different from our day-to-day life at home. ... if not we're doing one of them wrong! The examples of extreme behavior by the passengers were not the norm on the cruises I've been on.

Definitely worth reading if you're cruiser.

Just completed the book this morning. I tend to think that some of the drunken episodes were magnified to heighten our interest........I don't think you can successfully wait on tables after drinking all afternoon and just boarding the ship a half hour before your shift!! But it did make an entertaining story!

I'm about ready to Google Brian Brun. I'm truly curious about his job as a cruise art auctioneer. I'd love to know how that is going (or did go).

And I surmise that he and Bianca are history?

I read the book two days before going on a cruise last week and it kind of ruined my view of ship crew. Perhaps the author was embelishing and using "worst case" examples to make more interesting reading? I hope some of them actually enjoy their jobs and some of the passengers they meet!

I was reading the 'Cruise -Confidential' while I was on the Conquest. It mentioned a Toga party. The crew being drunk and the loud music. I took a B2B on the Ecstasy right after the Conquest. The Ecstasy cruise was alot ruffer and my DW got real sea sick. After spending time in the infirmary I saw a note posted ' toga sheets' and two ships officers carrying sheets. I asked a crew member about the toga party and he was real surprised that I knew about it. I asked him if the party was on the I-95 or crew quarters? He told me it was on the forward deck. I found the party and crashed it. Yes some crew members were drunk, the music was very loud and they were wearing togas. Shades of Animal House. I was there a short time and left. That part of the book I can vouch fore.

I just finished Cruise Confidential and thought it was good. I've never been on Conquest or Fantasy and the crew does rotate a lot but I wonder how many of the people he talked about were people we met. The only one I could readily identify was Dan the head Maitre D' who of course is Ken Byrne. Did anyone else recognize anyone?

Linda

• 1 month later...
I have to agree with Dan on this one. Just finished reading the book yesterday and I did see a few "flaws" in it. Clue: The Glory was never moored at Jaxport.:)

Actually, Glory was docked at Jaxport. This was the first week of special cruises when Glory was not yet open to regular passengers and had yet to start its regular itinerary. They did a couple cruises to nowhere and a few quick hops to the Bahamas for folks like Bob Dickinson, Carnival big dogs, and travel agencies and such. I kept scrupulous notes during my Carnival days because it was a way to clear my head of the day's stresses before trying to get a few hours of sleep. When I didn't remember something specific, I rarely put it in the book because that would erode my credibility. Can't have that, now!

Brian,

Thanks for coming to this thread. I just started reading this thread myself and not very interested in your book.

Hopefully the bookstore by my house has a copy or I will go to amazon to get it. I dont believe in passing around books because that is how authors survive.

Look forward to reading.

djp

So, I finished this book last week while on vacation. I'm a fast reader but it took forever to finish it because nothing really beckoned me to keep turning the page.

If you're debating whether to read the book now or on your cruise, I say read it now, that way you'll be able to actually read something enjoyable on your cruise.

I posted a longer review of this book on Amazon, it's the only 3-star review there.

You will get some behind-the-scenes stories, but in the end I just didn't find it to be an enjoyable read.

Just my humble opinion, and I respect that others loved the book.

So, I finished this book last week while on vacation. I'm a fast reader but it took forever to finish it because nothing really beckoned me to keep turning the page.

If you're debating whether to read the book now or on your cruise, I say read it now, that way you'll be able to actually read something enjoyable on your cruise.

I posted a longer review of this book on Amazon, it's the only 3-star review there.

You will get some behind-the-scenes stories, but in the end I just didn't find it to be an enjoyable read.

Just my humble opinion, and I respect that others loved the book.

I respect your opinion, but fortunately for Brian, you seem to be in the minority.

I respect your opinion, but fortunately for Brian, you seem to be in the minority.

Grits, I think you really hit the nail on the head in your original review when you said "I'm not going to say it's the best reading book I ever picked up, but it's very interesting to get a true "behind the scenes" look at the life of the crew of a Carnival ship......"

I agree with that statement completely, I'm sure my review came across a tad harsher than it should have. (though the book may be higher on your favorite list than mine, it's not at the top of either of our lists).

I think we should start a CruiseCritic book club!

Archived