is celebrity a snob line ?

don24

We have yet to meet any real snobs on a Celebrity ship. We are blue collar folks, and to be honest with you cruising is the only way we travel. Yes sometimes you may run into someone that may think they are better then everyone, but you will find that all over.

We have meet our best friends on Celebrity ships! As you can see by the amount of sailings we have with Celebrity we love them! Try them!

I have always worked hard and have been amply rewarded for which

I am not embarassed. My mother raised four children on her own and

most people know what that must be like. I insist that my charitable

contributions be in confidence, I usually over-tip and am most grate-

ful for what I have. I endeavor to always be sensitive to those who

have less..I enjoy small suites and first class air on long trips..but

manners are free and I draw the line when some individual in a low

tax bracket acts rudely and plays the "snob" card when criticized for

rude, stupid boorish behavior.

After just getting off of my first Celebrity cruise, I can happily report that that 98% of the passengers were curtious, fun, nice and enjoyable to be around.

Have a great cruise and if you come across some really negative posts, look at that posters previous posts. I think you'll find that some people can never be pleased.

Have fun,

Nancy

The only snobs you will find on Celebrity are people who have nothing to be snobby about, but they are few and far between.

I agree. I think some people act snobby (is that a word?) because they are on a cruise and that it somehow raises them above everyone else. We've met the most friendly and fun-loving people on Celebrity.

Seriously...

The overwhelming experience on board are typical vacationers taking typical vacations; cruising - and loving it.

The internet skews personalities fer sure. X is a mass market price point line. There are a few snobs on every cruise. But even 50 is less than 3% of a 2,000 pax ship. About the same percent are slobs.

Online 'better than thou' seems to come out most vigorously over 'formal night' dress and conduct. Now, I'm a formal night fan for sure - but it is a nostalgia costume night in present society. It's Hockum! As much as I like everyone to dress in gowns and tuxes for my pleasure and entertainment, the fact they don't simply means they're NORMAL. Not everyone shares my feelings and flight of fancy over a costume party of the past.

Frankly, the ultra rich don't cruise - except on yatchs (they own). Those that do cruise, just want to 'get down' with the rest of us.

Celebrityoctober...veggie plates or trays is what we call it...I guess I missed it when it came up in Readers Digest build your vocabulary section...lol...I think it is time that we, as a people, speak up when rude behavior occurs. Being a former school teacher, I have no qualms at speaking up when others are causing a scene or being rude. If someone around me treats a server rudely and calls them stupid, they had best be ready for me to say something. People won't change if no one tells them they are wrong, so speak up if you see someone being snobbish or just watch and let them do it and share their guilt. Just my opinion. Jim:)

The sun will shine tomorrow, regardless of what happens today...I'm planning on having a relaxing time on my cruise and the last thing I'm concerned about is what the person across the room (or behind me for that matter) is wearing. If they are rude, insulting and intentionally try and ruin things for me than I have choices...just like everyone else. I agree, people should let others know how their attitudes affect them. I've got experience in this area and everytime I've come across a bully and told them to stop being a bully they have, why I ask myself. It must be because they didn't realize how their behavior was effecting me and others and when they thought about it, they realized they needed to change. How you handle a bad situation say's alot about who you are..be strong and speak up (again in my opinion only :)).

This is such a dangerous thread!

One person's definition of a snob could be different from anothers...And the term is so derogatory.

But I do want to say that in my humble opinion, expecting people to follow proper decorum does not make some one a "snob". The way they approach that type of a situation however could lead others to think they have crossed that line.

Rules are established for a reason... whether it be dresscode (there can be latitude.. but dirty ripped clothes does not equal formal by any measuring stick) chair hogging, unruly passengers, etc. They are all established to ensure the experience for the vast majority of passengers is pleasant, and that the experience "sold" is the experience "enjoyed". Many of the rules are just for plain old safety. (Clearly dress code is not one of those!!!)

Unfortunately, becuse there is so little enforcement of these rules on board, one has to be realistic in their expectations. I would not have asked that person to dine elsewhere, but I would have thought that person's behavior was improper. It also would not have ruined my evening.

Too many people think rules dont apply to them... they run red lights, cheat , steal, cut in line.. the more we turn our heads, the worse it will get. The line of what is acceptable will just keep creeping further and further away...

So... to get back to OPs question- Are there "snobs" on X.. sure. But there are also non snobs.. Just as there are people who ar epolite, and those who are rude.. But that could happen anywhere. Just not on a cruise.

A person with "class" strives to make everyone feel comfortable in their presence. So even if someone has expectations about how other people should dress on a cruise, a person with "class" would never do anything to humiliate a fellow passenger for something as superficial as not following a dress code.

So even if someone has expectations about how other people should dress on a cruise

I think that is where perhaps you are missing the point. We do not have EXPECTATIONS how people SHOULD dress on a cruise.

It is the rules, not an option. And as the previous poster remarked, the rules will continue to get broken while people do not encourage others to adhere to them.

It has absolutely nothing to do with being a snob.

If they do not like the dress code, do not go to the venue, simple as that.

I just cannot imagine what sort of person feels comfortable in torn jeans and a t-shirt whilst everyone around them is wearing formal attire. I certainly am not that brave/stupid!

A person with "class" strives to make everyone feel comfortable in their presence. So even if someone has expectations about how other people should dress on a cruise, a person with "class" would never do anything to humiliate a fellow passenger for something as superficial as not following a dress code.

Very well said.

Archived