is celebrity a snob line ?

don24

i was about to book alaska cruise on celebrity but after reading previous thread by retailoil (discounting is going to far) i am rethinking .it seems to me by there rant that celeb is a line for overbearing self important snobs who think they are better than most .please tell me this isnt true i like the ships and itinarery but will not travel on them if retailoil is the rule not the exception.i will check on this monday because us blue collar folk have to go to bed soon

i was about to book alaska cruise on celebrity but after reading previous thread by retailoil (discounting is going to far) i am rethinking .it seems to me by there rant that celeb is a line for overbearing self important snobs who think they are better than most .please tell me this isnt true i like the ships and itinarery but will not travel on them if retailoil is the rule not the exception.i will check on this monday because us blue collar folk have to go to bed soon

Don't worry about a thing, Blue Collar. You are in the majority. Something tells me that Retailoil is not far from Blue Collar, himself!

I had the same thoughts when I first booked our cruise and came to these boards. One of the first threads I read was about the dress code. :eek: I was worried that we were out of our league and maybe I better be looking at Carnival and RCI again even though I liked the itinerary better on Solstice.

I have to say that after being on the Celebrity board and my roll call board for the past few months I have determined that the type attitude that you refer to is the exception and not the rule.

I would investigate more - maybe look at the roll call board for the sailing that you are looking at and other threads on this one and then make a decision.

Hi,:D I work hard too and I put my pants on

(and dresses in my case)the same way as other gals;)...one leg at

a time.

Overbearing, self-important snobs?:eek:........no, no.....many of us

work hard for a living and try to save as much as possible

in order to cruise:D

Manners, or lack of them, come from people in all walks

of life.

Hope you have a great cruise:)

Don,

Thankfully, pompous snobs are not the norm on Celebrity.

We have been on somewhere around 13 Celebrity cruises, most of them long ones. We are regular folks from West by God Virginia and Celebrity fits us perfectly.

Probably an accurate description of the general demographic (although it varies greatly) is middle aged or older people who appreciate nice surroundings, good food, excellent service, and a touch of the elegance of crusing such as dressing up for formal nights, etc. That is far different from a bunch of pretentious snobs.

We have been on two Alaska cruises (Infinity and Millenium) and they were spectacular.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I hope you will not judge a whole group of people by one thread. dh and I have cruised on Celebrity three times and next Jan will be four & five. We have not met any "snobs" so far. Or maybe we are snobs and just don't know it! No really. True Celebrity is what I call a "quieter" cruise experience, but we haven't encountersd the things that the original poster of that thread mentioned. I would say to try it. No one can tell if a cruise line is for you but you.

Good luck and have a great cruise no matter what line you decide to try.

Not at all I like sailing Celebrity I my self is middle class I consider my self a donkey a blue collar kind of guy and have met many great other people that fit this discription on our cruises and have had a great time.

We love Celebrity and we are heathens!:D

There are a few on this board that give Celebrity a bad name... don't judge the line by this fraction of a percentage. Actually... lately... The Celebrity board has been pretty great. There are some WILD topics out there on other lines.

I have seen more posts like that on Celebrity than I would like to see as I am about to book my first cruise on Celebrity. But my guess is that it's from a small minority of people on this board and is no way representative of people who actually cruise the line.

... that celeb is a line for overbearing self important snobs who think they are better than most ...
Not at all. Celebrity is a "gentle mass market" line filled with ordinary everyday people of all ages and from different walks of life. It is a reflection of the more gentle crowd in society (as opposed to the young and energetic crowds on "activity mass market" lines like Carnival).

Don,

. We are regular folks and Celebrity fits us perfectly.

Probably an accurate description of the general demographic (although it varies greatly) is middle aged or older people who appreciate nice surroundings, good food, excellent service, and a touch of the elegance of cruising such as dressing up for formal nights, etc. That is far different from a bunch of pretentious snobs.

This describes us as well.:) You are right on the mark, wvfan.

Not at all. Celebrity is a "gentle mass market" line filled with ordinary everyday people of all ages and from different walks of life. It is a reflection of the more gentle crowd in society (as opposed to the young and energetic crowds on "activity mass market" lines like Carnival).

I love that. The Gentle Crowd!

People REALLY need to realize just how small the percentage of sailors that are on the Cruise Critic. We are talking single digits here. Do not let a bunch of strangers influence your decisions to do anything! I am always amazed on these boards when people say "I was going to do this, but after reading something on the cruise critic, I decided not to." WHAT???

You know... seriously... most of these mass market lines are WAY more alike than they are different. I like Celebrity better than Carnival just because when I walk in the door the decor doesn't assault my senses. I like Royal Caribbean for many things, but think Celebrity offers a better product for things that are important to me. I haven't encountered any snobs on Celebrity ships. I have encountered a few on these boards though.

We love Celebrity and we are heathens!:D

There are a few on this board that give Celebrity a bad name... don't judge the line by this fraction of a percentage. Actually... lately... The Celebrity board has been pretty great. There are some WILD topics out there on other lines.

Heathens from Salt Lake??? You MUST be in the minority! Here I am in little old Tetonia, ID, just a nip up the road from you, and we do not have many heathens here, either--self proclaimed or otherwise!

Cathy

Heathens from Salt Lake??? You MUST be in the minority! Here I am in little old Tetonia, ID, just a nip up the road from you, and we do not have many heathens here, either--self proclaimed or otherwise!

Cathy

hee hee:D Yep... minorities for sure.

No Celebrity is not a snob line, it is a premium line.

As to the rude one we had a few on our European cruise, too,but the majority was well mannered.

The best I heard was on our last cruise, people in the SP Rest, did nothing but moan, one complaint was that their Caesar Salad had a dressing on it!!!!

They were quite happy tho when the Maitre D gave them complimentary wine, although one moaned they should have chosen the more expensive wine.

Total ***es,

Maybe a line should offer exclusive snob cruises at a price, I bet they would sail empty.

Don,

We have been on somewhere around 13 Celebrity cruises, most of them long ones. We are regular folks from West by God Virginia and Celebrity fits us perfectly.

Probably an accurate description of the general demographic (although it varies greatly) is middle aged or older people who appreciate nice surroundings, good food, excellent service, and a touch of the elegance of crusing such as dressing up for formal nights, etc. That is far different from a bunch of pretentious snobs.

We have been on two Alaska cruises (Infinity and Millenium) and they were spectacular.

Happy Sails to You

I think this is a nice description. From our Solstice sailing, I think you could also include a new generation of cruisers who share the same love of elegant cruising...& the ship is more lively & 21st Century..we loved it!

Archived