Letter to Diamond Members (Merged Threads)

Regarding this thread, We just had our first experience as diamond members on the Voyager in April. It was a very memorable, spending the happy hour in the Diamond overflow lounge. Met many great people to socialize with, and enjoy the free happy hour cocktails. It really made us feel like we were special to RCL. I even bragged to friends about the VIP treatment we recieved. I am very disappointed with the new policy regarding the diamond level, and will now quit bragging about how good RCL is. I am sure we will sail RCL in the future, but we won't brag as much as to how great they are.:rolleyes:

Please don't give Royal Caribbean any ideas--I can see them offering "virgin martinis" consisting of water and olives at the "VIP" reception to "accommodate" those desiring non-alcoholic beverages. :eek:

Seriously, there are both non-alcoholic wines and non-alcoholic champagnes onboard. Royal Caribbean offers a non-alcoholic champagne option for their Romance package (See the Gifts and Gears section on the Royal Caribbean website). We have ordered that package before. However, we prefer the non-alcoholic wine. There are usually two or three onboard, including a non-alcoholic blush Zinfandel--that is what we usually get. In fact, for our Diamond Plus amenity, this is the wine we select.

FYI, there is also non-alcoholic beer available. Royal Caribbean usually has O'Douls onboard.

However, we usually get a virgin Daiquiri or virgin Margarita at the Diamond/Diamond Plus event. The ship bar tenders don't seem to know how to make other types of non-alcoholic mixed drinks.

[quote name='montgomeryfamily']Please don't give Royal Caribbean any ideas--I can see them offering "virgin martinis" consisting of water and olives at the "VIP" reception to "accommodate" those desiring non-alcoholic beverages. :eek:

Seriously, there are both non-alcoholic wines and non-alcoholic champagnes onboard. Royal Caribbean offers a non-alcoholic champagne option for their Romance package (See the Gifts and Gears section on the Royal Caribbean website). We have ordered that package before. However, we prefer the non-alcoholic wine. There are usually two or three onboard, including a non-alcoholic blush Zinfandel--that is what we usually get. In fact, for our Diamond Plus amenity, this is the wine we select.

FYI, there is also non-alcoholic beer available. Royal Caribbean usually has O'Douls onboard.

However, we usually get a virgin Daiquiri or virgin Margarita at the Diamond/Diamond Plus event. The ship bar tenders don't seem to know how to make other types of non-alcoholic mixed drinks.[/QUOTE]

Ships bartenders know how to make most types of mixed drinks, it is not difficult to leave the alcohol out!:confused::confused::confused:

I agree that the ship's bartenders should be able to make non-alcoholic mixed drinks, but that has not been our experience. During the Captain's reception and past passenger receptions, passengers all around us order well drinks and various mixed drinks of their preference, yet when we request a non-alcoholic mixed drink, the only drink that the bartenders seem to know how to make is the rumless fruit punch, which is quite sour as it consists primarily of a mixture of grapefruit juice and orange juice. Even when requesting something specific and simple, such as a non-alcoholic Sunrise (sans tequila), the answer is that the bartenders don't know how to make that.

Until approximately three years ago, you could get "blender" drinks at the C & A past passenger reception. The bartenders knew how to make virgin daquiris and margaritas. However, about that time period, the decison was made by Royal Caribbean that those were "too loud" to allow to be made at the past passenger reception. Yet the well drinks and various made to order mixed alcoholic drinks were freely poured and made.

Blender drinks are allowed to be served at the Diamond/Diamond Plus Event and thus the only shipboard event in which complimentary non-alcoholic mixed drinks are served is this Diamond/Diamond Plus event.

Since this new Diamond VIP nightly reception with wine and champagne is going to take the place of the Diamond/Diamond Plus event, it is only fair that some complimentary non-alcoholic mixed drinks are also offered, not just soda. There are a lot of people who cannot drink alcoholic beverages for a variety of reasons, including medical restrictions.

Bestyl, I hope that your response is meant to be tongue in cheek, since there is no such thing as a virgin martini. But since there is non-alcoholic wine, I cannot actually tell whether you are joking. But I cannot imagine why anyone would object to complimentary non-alcoholic beverages being offered, especially since this would not affect your being offered alcoholic wine and champagne.

On the Brilliance recently (B2B) at the parties, the waiters were refusing anything apart from what was on their trays. Fruit punch, wine and or champers?

I had to seek out a bar manager to get my Baileys!! And I was told no fou-fou drinks at all!!:mad::mad:

It will be interesting to see whether RCCL makes any further changes - I rather think not. But time will tell.

[B][URL="http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/chairmans-blog/?p=220"]Turku Beckons[/URL][/B]

Posted on April 17th, 2009 by admin

I’ve returned to Turku for another review of construction progress and meetings with the shipyard. A lot of progress has been made since my last visit, but it all still very much looks like a construction site.

This is one of the frustrations of building ships; there is so much infrastructure and technical backbone to a vessel that it does not feel like the final product until very close to delivery. Even worse, there is scaffolding everywhere which blocks your view of all spaces onboard. The Yard always claims that it needs the scaffolding so its workers can do their work. Sounds good, but I can’t get rid of the feeling that they put the scaffolding up each time before I arrive just to frustrate me.
One of the spaces that is just coming to fruition onboard the ship is our new Diamond Club lounge. I was looking forward to seeing it in place. We have never before devoted so much space or such a prominent location to such a lounge and I was quite excited about it. It is located on deck 6 as a mezzanine overlooking the forward part of the Royal Promenade. The location makes it easy to get to and beautiful to be in. Or at least that is what the drawings showed.
I was anxious to see it for two reasons. Firstly, as noted I was excited about the enhanced positioning of the lounge and wanted to see how the real thing compared to our drawings. But another reason relates to a controversy that arose a week or so ago about some of our existing lounges. The concierge lounges on some of our ships had become so crowded that we could no longer properly handle all the demand. We announced that effective July 1, we would be limiting use of those lounges to suite guests and Diamond+ members.
Many of our Diamond members were upset. They valued the clubs both for the opportunity to mingle with kindred spirits and for the amenities offered in the lounge. We received hundreds of complaints and the internet chat rooms were abuzz with postings.
We learned several important lessons from the brouhaha. Most importantly, we saw how passionate our loyal Crown & Anchor members felt about the company and its product. They cared deeply and they were unhappy at anything we did that they believed undermined our commitment to excellence. I view that as a good thing. Secondly, we realized that we had greatly underestimated the importance they placed on this amenity. They placed a much higher value than we appreciated on a place where they could relax and enjoy themselves in the company of other similarly minded souls. And lastly, we got a real taste of the importance of good, open communications.
In the end, we delayed the change until September 1, announced an interim substitute and vowed to continue to look for better ways to accommodate our Diamond members. I can now attest that OASIS’ Diamond Club is a major step forward. The actual location and space are terrific. And as Adam Goldstein mentioned in his latest communiqué, we have a lot more ways in which we will recognize and thank our most valuable [URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefitsLoggedout.do;jsessionid=0000Hn8c4m6fXJ0SBQkHA9_6n4t:12hdhubrs"]Crown & Anchor[/URL] members. Adam also mentioned that we were looking for new and better ways to communicate as well. This blog and Adam’s about-to-be-released forum are examples of those efforts.

Hellosailor, it has been our experience that for the last three years or so Royal Caribbean has not permitted the fou-fou drinks at the Captain's reception or C & A welcome back party--with the excuse that the blender is "too loud". However, you are right that the other non-blender mixed alcoholic drinks have been provided. When we were on the Splendor a few months ago, we attended both of these with our tablemates. One couple from England received Comos both parties and the others had a variety of alcoholic mixed drinks including martinis and screwdrivers and also some had wine.

The one time per cruise Diamond/Diamond Plus event (I think Plat is also included in this) has been the only location we have found within this time period to date with the complimentary fou fou drinks, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic.

It sounds like that Royal Caribbean may be restricting more of what is permitted during the Captain's reception and C & A welcome back party.
The point will be moot before long with those parties anyway, since Royal Caribbean has already announced that there will be no C & A welcome back party and that the Captain's reception will begin charging for drinks. So perhaps the ships are beginning to ease into this concept now.

[quote name='Tyron']
In the end, we delayed the change until September 1, announced an interim substitute and vowed to continue to look for better ways to accommodate our Diamond members. I can now attest that OASIS’ Diamond Club is a major step forward. The actual location and space are terrific. And as Adam Goldstein mentioned in his latest communiqué, we have a lot more ways in which we will recognize and thank our most valuable [URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefitsLoggedout.do;jsessionid=0000Hn8c4m6fXJ0SBQkHA9_6n4t:12hdhubrs"]Crown & Anchor[/URL] members. Adam also mentioned that we were looking for new and better ways to communicate as well. This blog and Adam’s about-to-be-released forum are examples of those efforts.[/quote]
I wonder what he means by the word "interim"? Is he saying the latest changes are temporary?

[COLOR=#0033cc][FONT=Verdana]Originally Posted by [B][FONT=Verdana]Driftwoodgal[/FONT][/B] [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=19139174#post19139174"][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]
[I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Apparently, you haven't been reading all of my posts. I was in hopes that I could get a bottle of water on our January cruise, NOT a mixed drink or wine and champagne. The reason I brought up the cost of drinks pages ago was people were talking about how expensive it was for the cruise line. I think it will cost the cruise line more business by making the cuts. Gosh adding wine and champagne to all of the ships will increase their costs. [/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=#0033cc][FONT=Verdana]

[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=darkred][FONT=Verdana]Who ever said what RC did was because of cost, certainly not RC. does anyone have proof of this??[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=#0033cc][FONT=Verdana] No I don’t, but it sure sounds better than the CL is over crowded. I haven’t sailed on a ship where the overflow lounge had people standing outside. I haven’t sailed on a CC or C&A member cruise just for that very reason.

[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]As for setting prices, if you been to my brothers restaurants recently, you will see that his prices have changed. [URL="http://pincherscrabshack.com/"][COLOR=purple]http://pincherscrabshack.com[/COLOR][/URL] they have gone down 10 per cent on his entrees. Of course drinks are not cheap. I said that is where a bar and or a restaurant make money whether it is a mixed drink, wine, tea. Try going there for lunch and only having water, I think you will find that it is a great deal. If you have kids they get to eat free during certain times. What a bargain!! So I think he does have an idea of what it cost to fill his restaurants, which are price as well as quality of the product he serves. [/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=#0033cc][FONT=Verdana]

[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=darkred][FONT=Verdana]I am sure you are proud of your brother and his success. I don't think you have to advertise for him (is that allowed here). I have no complaints and have been there on a few occasions. Personally I don't go looking for bargains. Its too bad he has had to lower prices to get business, if that is what he feels will bring them in. Frankly I could care less about the price, if I feel I have gotten a fair deal for what I paid for. I also never said he didn't know how to run his business. [/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]I posted his web link, because it was asked where my figures came from. His restaurants are no where near the cruise port so what is the big deal? If advertising is not allowed, then why is cruise shark allowed to offer a price watch program? I didn[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]’[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]t post it for advertising, the moderators can delete any time they want to. As for having to lower prices to get business GEEZZZ he lowered them as a marketing tool. Seems his business is better than ever, so he must have done something right. I believe other chain restaurants are doing the same. Something on the lines of half priced entr[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]é[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]e with a purchase. Look at Macy[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]’[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]s, Wal-Mart, CVS etc all with cutting prices strategy. I do look for bargains and try to shop smart. I would rather keep money in my pocket when possibly. I am glad for you that the economy hasn[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]’[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]t affected your life style. I would say it has for 90 per cent of people.[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=#0033cc][FONT=Verdana]

[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I owned a successful business for 27 years, sold it in 2007, and also own RCCL stock. I understand the bottom line, and also understand running off business. The old saying "the customer is always right" makes sense to me. Run the customer off and it cost lots of money to get new ones. Gosh, look at RCCL ads right now, that campaign has to be costing them big bucks.[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=#0033cc][FONT=Verdana]

[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=darkred][FONT=Verdana]RC isn't running those ads because of the benefits change in assumption they are losing customers due to there Reward Program changes. I would believe that has been part of their business plan since they started on the Oasis Project.[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]Completely agree with you that the ads were on the marketing boards long before the benefits changed. Paying for the Oasis and Allure, and the ad campaign has to come from some where; my guess is cuts everywhere including the C & A benefits. IMHO they should have just stated that cost cutting measures were necessary because of the economy. Now they have extended the CL benefits to all of the cruise ships. I can just see the Majesty with all the free wine and champagne you want.[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=#0033cc][FONT=Verdana]

[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I will cruise RCCL again, I have two cruises booked with them and four NC certificates in a drawer. I WILL now look at other lines and try them if the price is right and I like their itinerary. The grass may look better on the other side of the fence right now and until I try it I won't know. By the way I am not far from Diamond Plus so this won't affect me for long. If I run down to [/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Miami[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] I can be a Plus before my January 2010 cruise, but remember I just wanted my coffee and my tender tickets. [/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=#0033cc][FONT=Verdana]

[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=darkred][FONT=Verdana]Well you are one of the 1% that feels that way. the other 99% are looking for their free drinks. you will still get your coffee and tender tix, just not in the CL.[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=#0033cc][FONT=Verdana]
[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=darkred][FONT=Verdana]btw... since you are almost D+, then you have certainly been able to take advantage of the perks and discounts along the way. I look at it as you have have received what you so called have earned.[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=#0033cc][FONT=Verdana]
[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=darkred][FONT=Verdana]We are D and also stay in suites half the time, so I understand both sides here. I only use the CL for coffee in the morn while I read on the internet for an hour or so. I can still do that in the internet lounge. I buy my drinks between 5-8 in one of the bars. I don't care for the atmosphere, stuffy, or crowded, and they also don't serve my brand of scotch in there. [/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]I talked to the C & A department about a week ago. At the end of the call the rep thanked me for my polite way of discussing things with her and not yelling about the free booze. Guess they have been hammered by some; she is just the messenger not the person with the axe. [/FONT][/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]As for [/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]“[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]having received what you so called have earned.[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]”[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana] No I haven[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]’[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]t most of my cruises have been on the Vision class ships that don[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]’[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]t have CL. I haven[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]’[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]t posted that I earned it, RCCL said I earned it. I also won[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]’[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]t be getting my coffee as I use the espresso machine. Time will tell if they have one of these for the satellite they are offering. I am not fortunate enough to be able to afford a suite. I too understand both sides, but that doesn[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]’[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]t mean I have to like their decision. Thus in 2011 I am looking at NCL for [/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]Hawaii[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana].[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=#0033cc][FONT=Verdana]

[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I hope you liked your dining experience at Pinchers. If you ever have a problem please contact the manager. My brother would rather have you walk out of his restaurants happy than talking bad about his product.[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=#0033cc][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR][/I]

[quote name='Lynnees']Just anaother way to try to force people onto the monster ship.[/quote]

Let's put in this way My disdain for the monster ships exceed my need for a Concierge/Diamond Lounge, as much as DW and I LOVE the CL (and the Radiance Class). All of the newest RCCL ships are 160,000 gross tons and above. And I thought the Grandeur (70,000) was huge when we went on our first cruise in 1998!

As much as we have loved RCCL over the years, all of these developments are disheartening. For the first time, we booked a Princess for spring 2010 (after cancelling Serenade one week after the wonderful CL benefit was eliminated). Leave RCCL forever? Unlikely. Check out other cruise lines? Absolutely.

[quote name='Lynnees']Just anaother way to try to force people onto the monster ship.[/quote]

[B]Exactly. I think all the new changes are paving the way. I do wish them good luck filling the monster ships, but I have my doubts! RCI will have to come down on the pricing of the cabins before a family of 4 can afford to go.[/B]

[quote name='reggierail']There may be further concessions as time drags on. I'd say that a good comprimise would be 1/2 price cocktails and or 2 for 1.

Reggie :)[/quote]

It should have been rolled back to NO MORE than half price. A GOOD compromise would be 75% off.

Cancellations should continue in protest. Keep it going, guys!

[quote name='clarea']I wonder what he means by the word "interim"? Is he saying the latest changes are temporary?[/quote]

[B]that caught my eye too...:confused: he seems out of touch with reality. his comments baffled me...why would you state you are exploring other means of communicating. IMHO,continue reading survey cards we complete @ the end of our cruises, our emails and utilize the royal champions to RCI abreast of the positive and negative feedback. i think they would be very beneficial in a capacity such as this. :)[/B]

[quote name='Tyron'][B][URL="http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/chairmans-blog/?p=220"]Turku Beckons[/URL][/B]

Posted on April 17th, 2009 by admin

I’ve returned to Turku for another review of construction progress and meetings with the shipyard. A lot of progress has been made since my last visit, but it all still very much looks like a construction site.

This is one of the frustrations of building ships; there is so much infrastructure and technical backbone to a vessel that it does not feel like the final product until very close to delivery. Even worse, there is scaffolding everywhere which blocks your view of all spaces onboard. The Yard always claims that it needs the scaffolding so its workers can do their work. Sounds good, but I can’t get rid of the feeling that they put the scaffolding up each time before I arrive just to frustrate me.
One of the spaces that is just coming to fruition onboard the ship is our new Diamond Club lounge. I was looking forward to seeing it in place. We have never before devoted so much space or such a prominent location to such a lounge and I was quite excited about it. It is located on deck 6 as a mezzanine overlooking the forward part of the Royal Promenade. The location makes it easy to get to and beautiful to be in. Or at least that is what the drawings showed.
I was anxious to see it for two reasons. Firstly, as noted I was excited about the enhanced positioning of the lounge and wanted to see how the real thing compared to our drawings. But another reason relates to a controversy that arose a week or so ago about some of our existing lounges. The concierge lounges on some of our ships had become so crowded that we could no longer properly handle all the demand. We announced that effective July 1, we would be limiting use of those lounges to suite guests and Diamond+ members.
Many of our Diamond members were upset. They valued the clubs both for the opportunity to mingle with kindred spirits and for the amenities offered in the lounge. We received hundreds of complaints and the internet chat rooms were abuzz with postings.
We learned several important lessons from the brouhaha. Most importantly, we saw how passionate our loyal Crown & Anchor members felt about the company and its product. They cared deeply and they were unhappy at anything we did that they believed undermined our commitment to excellence. I view that as a good thing. Secondly, we realized that we had greatly underestimated the importance they placed on this amenity. They placed a much higher value than we appreciated on a place where they could relax and enjoy themselves in the company of other similarly minded souls. And lastly, we got a real taste of the importance of good, open communications.
In the end, we delayed the change until September 1, announced an interim substitute and vowed to continue to look for better ways to accommodate our Diamond members. I can now attest that OASIS’ Diamond Club is a major step forward. The actual location and space are terrific. And as Adam Goldstein mentioned in his latest communiqué, we have a lot more ways in which we will recognize and thank our most valuable [URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefitsLoggedout.do;jsessionid=0000Hn8c4m6fXJ0SBQkHA9_6n4t:12hdhubrs"]Crown & Anchor[/URL] members. Adam also mentioned that we were looking for new and better ways to communicate as well. This blog and Adam’s about-to-be-released forum are examples of those efforts.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmmmmmm, no mention of windows...........wonder if you can see the ocean. That's what I loved about the overflow lounges up on deck 14.......the views are great!! Nothing like having a drink and looking out at the ocean. Life is good!!!

[quote name='MrPete']
Cancellations should continue in protest. Keep it going, guys![/quote]

Good call - maybe the loss of revenue from the protest cancellations combined with the cancellations and decreased bookings due to unemployment and price competition from other cruiselines will inspire more fear and panic with investors and the stock will sink below its' 52 week low of $5!

Maybe you guys can force them into bankruptcy!

[quote name='Driftwoodgal'][COLOR=#0033cc][FONT=Verdana]Originally Posted by [B][FONT=Verdana]Driftwoodgal[/FONT][/B] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Apparently, you haven't been reading all of my posts. I was in hopes that I could get a bottle of water on our January cruise, NOT a mixed drink or wine and champagne. The reason I brought up the cost of drinks pages ago was people were talking about how expensive it was for the cruise line. I think it will cost the cruise line more business by making the cuts. Gosh adding wine and champagne to all of the ships will increase their costs. [/FONT][/COLOR][/I]

[I][COLOR=darkred][FONT=Verdana]Who ever said what RC did was because of cost, certainly not RC. does anyone have proof of this??[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=#0033cc][FONT=Verdana] No I don’t, but it sure sounds better than the CL is over crowded. I haven’t sailed on a ship where the overflow lounge had people standing outside. I haven’t sailed on a CC or C&A member cruise just for that very reason.[/FONT][/COLOR][/I]

[I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]As for setting prices, if you been to my brothers restaurants recently, you will see that his prices have changed. [URL="http://pincherscrabshack.com/"][COLOR=purple]http://pincherscrabshack.com[/COLOR][/URL] they have gone down 10 per cent on his entrees. Of course drinks are not cheap. I said that is where a bar and or a restaurant make money whether it is a mixed drink, wine, tea. Try going there for lunch and only having water, I think you will find that it is a great deal. If you have kids they get to eat free during certain times. What a bargain!! So I think he does have an idea of what it cost to fill his restaurants, which are price as well as quality of the product he serves. [/FONT][/COLOR][/I]

[I][COLOR=darkred][FONT=Verdana]I am sure you are proud of your brother and his success. I don't think you have to advertise for him (is that allowed here). I have no complaints and have been there on a few occasions. Personally I don't go looking for bargains. Its too bad he has had to lower prices to get business, if that is what he feels will bring them in. Frankly I could care less about the price, if I feel I have gotten a fair deal for what I paid for. I also never said he didn't know how to run his business. [/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]I posted his web link, because it was asked where my figures came from. His restaurants are no where near the cruise port so what is the big deal? If advertising is not allowed, then why is cruise shark allowed to offer a price watch program? I didn[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]’[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]t post it for advertising, the moderators can delete any time they want to. As for having to lower prices to get business GEEZZZ he lowered them as a marketing tool. Seems his business is better than ever, so he must have done something right. I believe other chain restaurants are doing the same. Something on the lines of half priced entr[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]é[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]e with a purchase. Look at Macy[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]’[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]s, Wal-Mart, CVS etc all with cutting prices strategy. I do look for bargains and try to shop smart. I would rather keep money in my pocket when possibly. I am glad for you that the economy hasn[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]’[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]t affected your life style. I would say it has for 90 per cent of people.[/FONT][/COLOR][/I]

[I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I owned a successful business for 27 years, sold it in 2007, and also own RCCL stock. I understand the bottom line, and also understand running off business. The old saying "the customer is always right" makes sense to me. Run the customer off and it cost lots of money to get new ones. Gosh, look at RCCL ads right now, that campaign has to be costing them big bucks.[/FONT][/COLOR][/I]

[I][COLOR=darkred][FONT=Verdana]RC isn't running those ads because of the benefits change in assumption they are losing customers due to there Reward Program changes. I would believe that has been part of their business plan since they started on the Oasis Project.[/FONT][/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]Completely agree with you that the ads were on the marketing boards long before the benefits changed. Paying for the Oasis and Allure, and the ad campaign has to come from some where; my guess is cuts everywhere including the C & A benefits. IMHO they should have just stated that cost cutting measures were necessary because of the economy. Now they have extended the CL benefits to all of the cruise ships. I can just see the Majesty with all the free wine and champagne you want.[/FONT][/COLOR][/I]

[I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I will cruise RCCL again, I have two cruises booked with them and four NC certificates in a drawer. I WILL now look at other lines and try them if the price is right and I like their itinerary. The grass may look better on the other side of the fence right now and until I try it I won't know. By the way I am not far from Diamond Plus so this won't affect me for long. If I run down to [/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Miami[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] I can be a Plus before my January 2010 cruise, but remember I just wanted my coffee and my tender tickets. [/FONT][/COLOR][/I]

[I][COLOR=darkred][FONT=Verdana]Well you are one of the 1% that feels that way. the other 99% are looking for their free drinks. you will still get your coffee and tender tix, just not in the CL.[/FONT][/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=darkred][FONT=Verdana]btw... since you are almost D+, then you have certainly been able to take advantage of the perks and discounts along the way. I look at it as you have have received what you so called have earned.[/FONT][/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=darkred][FONT=Verdana]We are D and also stay in suites half the time, so I understand both sides here. I only use the CL for coffee in the morn while I read on the internet for an hour or so. I can still do that in the internet lounge. I buy my drinks between 5-8 in one of the bars. I don't care for the atmosphere, stuffy, or crowded, and they also don't serve my brand of scotch in there. [/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]I talked to the C & A department about a week ago. At the end of the call the rep thanked me for my polite way of discussing things with her and not yelling about the free booze. Guess they have been hammered by some; she is just the messenger not the person with the axe. [/FONT][/COLOR][/I]

[I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]As for [/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]“[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]having received what you so called have earned.[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]”[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana] No I haven[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]’[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]t most of my cruises have been on the Vision class ships that don[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]’[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]t have CL. I haven[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]’[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]t posted that I earned it, RCCL said I earned it. I also won[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]’[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]t be getting my coffee as I use the espresso machine. Time will tell if they have one of these for the satellite they are offering. I am not fortunate enough to be able to afford a suite. I too understand both sides, but that doesn[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Mangal]’[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]t mean I have to like their decision. Thus in 2011 I am looking at NCL for [/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana]Hawaii[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Verdana].[/FONT][/COLOR][/I]

[I][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I hope you liked your dining experience at Pinchers. If you ever have a problem please contact the manager. My brother would rather have you walk out of his restaurants happy than talking bad about his product.[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/quote]

Actually we have been affected by the economy. Because of this mess we are in, the government has expanded the contract work we do for them. Since things are very good for us right now, each of my 400 employees has decided to donate 5% of their pay each week, and my company is matching it with another 10%. I and 4 of my top executives have taken a 50% pay cut and also donated. We are giving it to various charities and food banks in the 6 cities where we have our offices located. We will donate about 4.5 million this year.

[quote name='tinlizzy']Good call - maybe the loss of revenue from the protest cancellations combined with the cancellations and decreased bookings due to unemployment and price competition from other cruiselines will inspire more fear and panic with investors and the stock will sink below its' 52 week low of $5!

Maybe you guys can force them into bankruptcy![/quote]

Yes.

"Meet our CL demands or fly in the face of bankruptcy."

Maybe we can get this on the David Letterman top ten, or even Craig Ferguson.

Or, just begin charging between 25% to 50% of what was once free. :rolleyes:

[quote name='MrPete']It should have been rolled back to NO MORE than half price. A GOOD compromise would be 75% off.

Cancellations should continue in protest. Keep it going, guys![/QUOTE]

I totally agree.........I'm not happy with the changes. Fact is, they'll probably still use the same overflow lounges that they've been using so I never believed crowding to be the issue. I know there are people that say 25% off is better than full price, but I think it's insulting and tacky!!! There's not much difference in the cost of a glass of wine or champ and a shot of liquor over ice or in tonic or club soda or even a beer. I don't know what they're thinking!!! Why do they continue to piss everyone off?

If people keep acting like RCCL came thru for us nothing else will change. People accepted losing the combinability of the balcony discount with one other OBC and now we lost that which IMHO was a bg loss.

Those that are not happy have to keep voicing their opinions.

[quote name='beachbuddy']Hmmmmmmmmm, no mention of windows...........wonder if you can see the ocean. That's what I loved about the overflow lounges up on deck 14.......the views are great!! Nothing like having a drink and looking out at the ocean. Life is good!!![/quote]

[B]Nope, I dont think there'll be any ocean views. [/B]

[B]According to the deck plans there are balcony cabins on the opposite side of the lounge.:cool::)[/B]

[quote name='MrPete']Yes.

"Meet our CL demands or fly in the face of bankruptcy."

Maybe we can get this on the David Letterman top ten, or even Craig Ferguson.

Or, just begin charging between 25% to 50% of what was once free. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Earnings come out on Thursday.

[quote name='tinlizzy']

Maybe you guys can force them into bankruptcy![/quote]

It is really sad to know that someone really feels this way. Not only because it stems from losing out a few "perks" but also goes further than that. There are so many people that work for this company that I'm sure would like to keep their jobs. Whether you agree or disagree with the decisions made from the Executives, there are in fact hundreds more in other departments that have families such as you and I. To wish these people this type of loss is extremely unfortunate for you as it shows more than just your dissatisfaction with RC, it also shows your true colors as a human being. Wow, really, really sad. :confused:

Archived