Royal Caribbean to Carnival Decor

J-Hawk

We are planning to cancel our Oasis Cruise and give Carnival a try. Our main concern is the decor on Carnival. RCCL ships are really beautifully decorated. We did the virtual tour on Carnival and the decorating looked a little on the gaudy side. I really hope that it is just how it looked on a VT and that in person it is really beautiful. The Freedom is the one in particular that I remember. What are the thoughts of those of you that have been on the Carnival ships?

They are a bit on the overdone side, but it is only some of the public spaces and the cabins are probably interchangeable with RCCL...kind of generic cruise ship decor.

And the sea looks just the same as it does from an RCCL ship.:)

If it helps, I have found that after the initial surprise I don't even notice the gaudiness.

And some of it is even fun.

And it is just for a little while and all too soon I will be home.

I saw a post where there was a designer higher to "tone it down a little" on the new ships.

I think Joe Farcus is still the designer/architect:

http://www.carnivalconnections.com/cruisetalk/blogs/carnival_dream/archive/2009/01/06/interview-with-dreamweaver-joe-farcus.aspx

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/Joe_Farcus/ship_architect.aspx

To me, it looks like the decor became "louder" somewhere between the Holiday and the Fantasy class.

Holiday has a decor that is still "nautical" in spirit.

And then compare it to Sensation.

I love Sensation, but wow, the neon.

And the decor on Glory I totally did not understand.

I was never one to cruise in order to get decorating tips.

Actually I find it fun to find new things every day that I didnt see before.

I have seen pics of the older ships..those built before Destiny and yes they look like 1985.

I have only been the newer ships and this just isnt the case.

So book a new ship and remind yourself why you are going on a cruise in the first place. To have fun!

Yes, the decor is very loud but very fun! I've been on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean and I think that I enjoy the public spaces on Carnival better. Also looking at a virtual tour doesn't even compare to when you are actually there. Just relax and enjoy, at least your on a cruise!!!

Yes, Carnival ships are gaudier than RCCL. I was overwhelmed by the beauty of RCCL ships. But it stopped there. I won't sail RCCL again.

I guess it's all a matter of priorities. If decor is your thing, RCCL is the way to go. If delicious food EVERY NIGHT in the dining rooms, AND the buffet lines (deli, burgers and fish n' chips bar (on deck 10) is important to you (as it is for our family,) then sail Carnival.:)

Iv been on both and really love Voyager in particular. That being said Im still doing a B2B on Conquest next fall with a group CC cruise.

I thought the food on Voyager last week was improved, compared well to Carnival. Carnival might hold a slight edge in food, but we enjoyed Voyager food too. You wouldnt go hungry on either ship. The dining room on Conquest is pretty and lots of blues like the ocean, just not elegant like on voyager, but still pretty.

Its a cruise. The lines are more the same than different.

They're just different.

Carnival is Vegas, RCCL is a plush hotel.

Apples and Oranges?

Centrum-338.jpg

Mariner of the Seas..

Atrium-053.jpg

Carnival Victory

Once again I love your pics:) For some reason I remember the Victory being more greener then that.......

Can't wait......I will be on that Mariner beauty in a few weeks :D

We are planning to cancel our Oasis Cruise and give Carnival a try. Our main concern is the decor on Carnival. RCCL ships are really beautifully decorated. We did the virtual tour on Carnival and the decorating looked a little on the gaudy side. I really hope that it is just how it looked on a VT and that in person it is really beautiful. The Freedom is the one in particular that I remember. What are the thoughts of those of you that have been on the Carnival ships?

I remember how I felt before my first Carnival cruise on the Triumph. I was a bit concerned about the decor based on what I saw online. But once I was on the ship it was not as vibrant/loud/overdone (choose your adjective) and actually quite nice.

Once again I love your pics:) For some reason I remember the Victory being more greener then that.......

Can't wait......I will be on that Mariner beauty in a few weeks :D

That Mariner of the Seas is downright gorgeous...a very photogenic ship.

It wasn't a mistake that a whole bunch of local travel agents(including me) got The Tour

when Mariner stopped thru Barbados on the recent repo cruise around S.America.

They were definitely showing off with one of their cuter ships!

I heard one TA lady in the group gasp when we first went on

"This is much better than Adventure of the Seas" she said quietly...

This is just yer ordinary stairway area on Mariner..

Stairs-379.jpg

and 'somewhere on Deck Four'...

Deck4-419.jpg

Start looking at my Mariner pics here

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w219/aplmac/LUNCH%20on%20MARINER/

and don't forget your camera!

I have never been on Royal Carib, but as far as Carnival goes, yes, the decor is gaudy! I would never consider decorating my house like this, but for 7 days on a cruise it has never stopped me from being totally in paradise. As long as the cabins aren't too neon, which they are not, I'm OK with it. I'll go anywhere they cook, clean, and make the beds for me!! :D

I've only been on one cruise so far - on the Fantasy, back in '04, and y'know, I hardly remember the decor at all. All I remember was having a blast, eating all kinds of delicious food, drinking more than I had in ages, and laughing so hard my stomach hurt!

That's what counts!

Archived