Royal Caribbean to Carnival Decor

J-Hawk

Most of the nicer hotels in Vegas are stunning..........maybe you have not visited in awhile:confused:

It was sarcasm. People keep saying the decor on Carnival is like Vegas.

This is not true on all Carnival ships or the Hotels in Vegas.

I guess people run with what they hear and and keep repeating the same thing over and over.

No big whoops. More room for me. :D

That Mariner of the Seas is downright gorgeous...a very photogenic ship.

It wasn't a mistake that a whole bunch of local travel agents(including me) got The Tour

when Mariner stopped thru Barbados on the recent repo cruise around S.America.

They were definitely showing off with one of their cuter ships!

I heard one TA lady in the group gasp when we first went on

"This is much better than Adventure of the Seas" she said quietly...

I agree...the Mariner is absolutely beautiful. I've cruised on 2 other ships in that class (Explorer and Voyager), and even though they're nice I don't think they come close to Mariner in the looks department!

They're just different.

Carnival is Vegas, RCCL is a plush hotel.

Apples and Oranges?

Centrum-338.jpg

Mariner of the Seas..

Atrium-053.jpg

Carnival Victory

I think I may be a bit of a Carnival snob but the RC decor looks too much like some of the shopping malls in my area (at least in pictures). Carnival's decor is like walking around in a fantasy, and when I'm on vacation it's nice to be somewhere thats completely different from home. Sure, some of it is a bit gaudy (or a lot gaudy in the case of the Miracle's dining room... skittles on acid :p) but most of the time it makes sense and can be quite beautiful. That first step into the atrium during embarkation always floors me!

I've been on three different Carnival ships - Destiny and Legend when they were both new and Triumph a few years ago. As for RCI, it's been Brilliance, Mariner, Brilliance and Navigator. As you can see it's a pretty even split. I'll keep my comments to the decor only, since that's what you asked about.

Carnival has nice and large staterooms but the one thing common to all of them has been the orange vinyl sofa. I can't abide orange - now add the vinyl and I'm just about nauseated. Then there is the heavy-handed use of neon. I don't mean just a bit here and there. It's everywhere!!! If they ever get rid of Farkas, I may re-consider sailing with them sometime. In the meantime, a girl can only wear sunglasses for so long...... :D

2P.P1

I remember well the first time I saw the cabin on our cruise on the Elation last year. It was all cheap laminated particle board that was orange, and gray, and all kinds of ugly. I mean, someone actually made the decision to use orange and gray together and thought that that would make a good cabin motif.

Of course, that did not deter us too much. In fact, we are going back on the Elation next month. Ugly or not, the price was right.

I've been on three different Carnival ships - Destiny and Legend when they were both new and Triumph a few years ago. As for RCI, it's been Brilliance, Mariner, Brilliance and Navigator. As you can see it's a pretty even split. I'll keep my comments to the decor only, since that's what you asked about.

Carnival has nice and large staterooms but the one thing common to all of them has been the orange vinyl sofa. I can't abide orange - now add the vinyl and I'm just about nauseated. Then there is the heavy-handed use of neon. I don't mean just a bit here and there. It's everywhere!!! If they ever get rid of Farkas, I may re-consider sailing with them sometime. In the meantime, a girl can only wear sunglasses for so long...... :D

2P.P1

Can't remember neon on the Legend. And I am not sure what is up with the orange vinyl sofa cushion it is a weird choice, but it is only one cushion for goodness sake! The rest of the cabin was quite nice and had a soothing feel to it actually

Geez, I just read a post the other day concerning the boring decor on RCCL ships. It is all a matter of taste. I am fascinated that Joe Farcus manages to integrate so many different disparate element into a themed whole and usually make it work. Yes, he can be over the top in his public areas, but most of them work well.

As a disclosure, if I have to cruise RCCL, I will stay home. I was turned off back in the early 80's when they excused their miniscule cabins with "we keep you so busy you do not spend any time in the cabins." I found this a very customer unfriendly statement and I have a long memory.:eek:

Doc

To me, it looks like the decor became "louder" somewhere between the Holiday and the Fantasy class.

Holiday has a decor that is still "nautical" in spirit.

And then compare it to Sensation.

I love Sensation, but wow, the neon.

And the decor on Glory I totally did not understand.

The Glory's decor is "Colors" The theater is The Amber Place, modeled after the famed amber room in Russia, The Emerald Room Supper Club, Azure Lido, Red Sail Restaurant etc...

Understanding the theme of each ship makes what seems like an over the top decor theme a lot more interesting.

• 1 month later...
We are planning to cancel our Oasis Cruise and give Carnival a try. Our main concern is the decor on Carnival. RCCL ships are really beautifully decorated. We did the virtual tour on Carnival and the decorating looked a little on the gaudy side. I really hope that it is just how it looked on a VT and that in person it is really beautiful. The Freedom is the one in particular that I remember. What are the thoughts of those of you that have been on the Carnival ships?

Gaudy or tacky . . . yes, probably, but FUN ? MOST DEFINITELY ! ! :D:D:D

I love the theme idea on Carnival ships. Some are gaudy--as in the Valor. However, most ships the decor works well....As for the Freedom--I was on her in April and you will love it. The ships is amazing!!!!!

RCI--sorry, it has a resorty type feel to it, no, plain and boring for me....

OK, my 2 cents;

As per my sign on name, I am definitely a Carnival fan. That said, my opinion is that the interior decor in public rooms on the different lines are just different.

RCCl & Princess - definitely more refined, elegant & classy look.

Carnival - the Fantasy-class ships built in the early 90's, definitely put on the "Vegas glitz". Neon, etc. Nothing wrong with that IMHO. However, Farcus has "toned it down" on the newer Carnival ships. However, compared to RCCL & Princess, Carnival decor in the public rooms are still way more "lively, colorful & whimsical". I like Farcus's central theme for each ship, and as he & Carnival want it, they want the passengers to delve into the interior designs of the ship as part of the cruise experience.

With such bold designs and interiors, Farcus definitely takes some risks and is bold, but I give him & Carnival credit for that. On a cruise, why not enjoy something different? Yes, Carnival could have stayed conservative & decorated like other cruise lines , however, IMHO, they went this route in keeping with the "Funship theme". As with a party or fiesta, lots of colors :)...

Like art, everyone has their own opinion. But I totally agree with earlier posts, the decor of a ship should NOT be the determining factor on whether you sail or not. There are MUCH more important factors to consider such as price, service, quality of food, entertainment, activities offered, etc...

For those who don't like Carnival because of the decor, sail Princess or HAL (owned by Carnival anyway ;))...

Carnival's decor is not something I'd want in my home, but I really enjoy it! As others have stated, it is gaudy--but not in an in-your-face obnoxious way. It's vibrant and fun. It's exciting in an odd way. The only RCCL ship we've sailed on was beautifully decorated. It was nice, but there was nothing interesting to look at.

Archived