BEWARE -Royal Caribbean Credit Card Fraud

I just received a call from the fraud agency at Royal Caribbeans Visa Credit Card Company (MBNA). Someone got a hold of people's credit card number and made charges on my card. The woman told me someone got a hold of a whole bunch of numbers and made various charges on those accounts. When you get your statement, check all your charges to make sure their all yours. My card is being cancelled today and they are sending me a new one with a new account number.

Had the same problem. Happened in Cozumel when we used it to rent a car. Crook at the counter took the numbers and also the code on the back. It was sooooo easy. Got a call in the middle of the night to ask if we were buying a bunch of international phone card. :rolleyes:

We were on a cruise a couple years ago, and my Mom was staying at my house watching the dog. She said she got a phone call from our credit card company stating there was some large purchases being made out of the country. Mom said, "Sounds like she made it to the jewelry store."

We had an issue many years ago where someone bought airline tickets with our Visa number. We had no problem getting it taken off, but it is pretty sad that it is so easy for some to get ahold of numbers that don't belong to them.

We only have 2 cards, one being the RCI card but have access to both of them on-line so check usage on a regular, almost daily basis. Figure that way I'll see if someone tries to use the card(s) illegally as soon as it happens. Usage on my RCI card hits the on-line account before I even get home for the day when making purchases. Great way to keep watch!

Some banks are keeping an eye open for us. A couple of years ago, in Cozumel, DW was buying things..gold bracelet, gold watch, etc. Different stores. A bit later we were in a clothing store and tried to use the card to buy some shirts. No go. Tried again, no go. I got the store owner to let me dial the 1-800 number and they told me they had put a hold on the account after seeing the two purchases. They said this was policy when they began to see charges in third world countries because of the large incidence of theft. Nice to know someone's watching. Of course they're protecting themselves as much as us.

Our RCCL card number was stolen over the summer and someone bought a $1,000 digi camera on amazon. MBNA took care of the problem right away, we were pleased with MBNA's customer service
First of all do you know how your number was stolen? Second did you cancel that account and have a new one opened. Third did you put a fraud alert on your name with the three-credit bureaus? If you haven’t I would recommend that you do so forthwith. Protect yourself against Identity Theft.

I got one of those calls, numerous charges were attempted on my RCCL card, the fraud unit called to ask if I made those purchases. They sent me a new card and credited my account. I asked how they got my Credit Card number and they said people program computers to find the right combination.

Lauren, thanks for the update. I called RCI/MBNA before our cruise to avoid any holds and to alert than of our pending travels. I too am happy that a credit card company is on the ball an watching daily transactions. I have returned from cruises and had phone messages from credit companies which scare you a lot but it is in your best interest. Fraud happens everywhere.

Bon Voyage

Had a hold put on my credit card on a recent trip. Mastercard was doing their job and were concerned as I was out of province and making some large purchases. They told me to call them whenever we are going on a trip and they will program the computer to make a note on our account. You give them your dates and countries/provinces/states etc. that you will be travelling in and then you will never have a problem with a card that does not work. I'm very happy they provide this service but I have to tell you I was pretty embarassed when my card was rejected.

Checking your statements thoroughly is good advice no matter what card you're carrying.

Here's something that happened to us recently: We were preparing to go on a vacation, and over the internet my husband purchased a fishing license for the state we planned to visit -- total cost about $11. The next day (while he was at work), the credit card company called me and asked if we owned a boat, or if we'd made a small boat-related purchase recently. I told him no, and pretty much forgot it. To tell the truth, he sounded like he was stoned, and I kind of thought he was some jerk fishing for personal information, and I wasn't really cooperative on the phone -- I just said yes, no. At lunchtime, my husband went out to purchase some new fishing lures, and his credit card was denied. Oops -- the guy really did work for the credit card place, and he had cancelled our cards without telling me. Hubby was embarassed at the store -- he said a whole line of people behind him were staring at him like he coudn't pay for a handful of fishing lures! Bottom line: A fishing license shows up on your credit card as a BOATING-FISHING LICENSE.

I guess it's good to know that the credit card people are looking out for suspicious purchases.

It is encouraging that RCI's credit card is so proactive in stopping fraud. I use Discover because of how good they are with that, and I've been very concerned about my bank's Visa card in that regard.

If only the credit card companies would institute a "pin" number like you have with your ATM cards. This would reduce the thefts greatly. Unfortunately, as long as people are willing to pay the outrageous interest rates on the cards, the card companies wont change.

John

To be fair, the interest rates only apply to those who carry a balance. I haven't paid interest deliberately (though I have when I forgot to pay my bill once or twice, for which the interest charge was far less than I deserved for being so careless), and I use credit cards for about 85% of all discretionary purchases.

I think the problem with introducing a PIN is that it would greatly increase the cost of accepting credit cards. While many places already have the ability to enter PINs to address debit transactions, many establishments do not. Could you imagine the cost of the wireless PIN entry device they'd need, so restaurant patrons wouldn't have to go to a system whereby they can no longer pay at their table but instead have to pay at a cashier? I can't see that being an improvement, at least from a service standpoint.

This can definitely happen with any credit card. Several months ago, someone got ahold of my BankOne number somehow and tried to charge over $1100 at an internet site. BankOne called me and asked if the purchase was mine. I almost freaked out! :eek: Anyway, nothing bad happened, and I never heard another thing about it...other than getting new cards in the mail. As a precaution, I called all of my other cards up and changed the acct numbers as well.

Good idea that someone had about calling your credit card company to let them know you'll be out of the country. I'll add that to my list of things to do.

Archived