Grand Princess 3-27-09 Caribbean Collection Review

ccrain

CCRain,

I really enjoyed your review and congratulations on your Elite status. I only wish it was me.:p I don't know if you remember but we sailed together on the Dawn in Dec. of 07. That was our first cruise. We sailed the Grand in Dec. '08 and will be on the Golden in August this year. Slowly trying to work our way to Elite. :D

Sure it wasn't 12-2006? That's what my photo album shows. We were on the Dawn with cruiserforlife, nancyquilts, and crusinsal as well.

Charles, one of the best reviews we have read on the boards, how are you and the lovely wife, we did the same cruise on 2 Jan. 09, and what a wonderful cruise it was, Princess Cruise number 20 for Laura and I and number 13 for our bundle of joy Gaby, she is learning to be quite the little traveler for her age, she turns five this June, was Capt. Carlton still onboard or had he left.

We will e-mail you our slideshow from that cruise, think we still have your e-mail in our address book.

Thanks for the review.

John,Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

St. Kitts – We did, or at least attempted to do, the Mt Liaguama volcano hike. Princess advertises it as a strenuous hike. That’s an understatement. It is. Judy just could not make it. So about 2/3 way up, 3 miles to climb 3500 feet, we turned around. Going down is actually more dangerous because of the steep terrain, loose rocks, tree roots and muddy ground. I got her off the mountain just about when the group made it back to the vehicles. I want to do this hike again, but I want to do it myself and get to the top. Everyone else said it was an incredible view.

It certainly is a strenuous hike... we did the hike in January thru Grey Tours, there were three of us in our group. We had been warned and advised by Thedford Grey to rest up, not indulge in too much fun the night before, and we had to be in physical shape to last five hours. All three of us made it to the top.

the Princess group had 13 in it and and arrived before us but we passed them and found out in the end that two didn't make it to the top.

I have to agree coming down is much much harder than going up. I slipped twice going down and although I didn't hurt myself, I was a muddy mess. We must of looked an interesting sight coming back on the ship with totally mud encased shoes and back side not looking any better.

But we both loved the experience and can cross it off our list of things to do!

Hope you make it to the top sometime soon.

Glad you loved the cruise, we did a back to back on the Grand in January and you are right we could of done another cruise b2b2b would of been perfect, and loved being on the ship for 28 days.

Thanks for a great review... fun to relive it.

Sure it wasn't 12-2006? That's what my photo album shows. We were on the Dawn with cruiserforlife, nancyquilts, and crusinsal as well.

Yes it was Dec. of 06. Time does fly! I think you and your wife played the watermelon eating game with the 6 of us.:D

Hi Vickie

As the wife of your other hike participant;) my advice to the OP is definitely do it yourself someday. I was happy that Vickie and Bernie allowed my husband (who is WAY more physically fit than I am) to experience this with them. I happily did the island tour and then sat on the beach, which is more my speed. We also LOVED the cruise.

Oh, by the way, Aldwin was also our room steward. We were in E729. He is just about perfect. We hardly ever saw him but the room was always refreshed, clean towels were there (beach and bath) and everything ran seamlessly. We didn't appreciate how perfect he was until the cruise after this one where we had pretty much the opposite.

Yes it was Dec. of 06. Time does fly! I think you and your wife played the watermelon eating game with the 6 of us.:D

ACD was Jen, CD was Gavin Chandler. A really good cruise as well and the cruise that started us ballroom dancing.

And yep, that was us behind the watermelons.

Charles, one of the best reviews we have read on the boards, how are you and the lovely wife, we did the same cruise on 2 Jan. 09, and what a wonderful cruise it was, Princess Cruise number 20 for Laura and I and number 13 for our bundle of joy Gaby, she is learning to be quite the little traveler for her age, she turns five this June, was Capt. Carlton still onboard or had he left.

We will e-mail you our slideshow from that cruise, think we still have your e-mail in our address book.

Thanks for the review.

John,Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

We're good, better than before the cruise, not so good as during the cruise, but we will survive till the next one.

Trying to get positioned for Super Elite I see...so are we!

It certainly is a strenuous hike... we did the hike in January thru Grey Tours, there were three of us in our group. We had been warned and advised by Thedford Grey to rest up, not indulge in too much fun the night before, and we had to be in physical shape to last five hours. All three of us made it to the top.

the Princess group had 13 in it and and arrived before us but we passed them and found out in the end that two didn't make it to the top.

I have to agree coming down is much much harder than going up. I slipped twice going down and although I didn't hurt myself, I was a muddy mess. We must of looked an interesting sight coming back on the ship with totally mud encased shoes and back side not looking any better.

But we both loved the experience and can cross it off our list of things to do!

Hope you make it to the top sometime soon.

Glad you loved the cruise, we did a back to back on the Grand in January and you are right we could of done another cruise b2b2b would of been perfect, and loved being on the ship for 28 days.

Thanks for a great review... fun to relive it.

We've ice climbed in Juneau, rock climbed in Skagway, walked out to Nugget falls, hiked around Skagway, done a lot of hiking excursions on Princess but when they say this is strenuous, its extremely stenuous for anyone but experienced hikers.

It reminds me of my elk hunts in Colorado, but with more Oxygen in the air and bit more humidity!

ACD was Jen, CD was Gavin Chandler. A really good cruise as well and the cruise that started us ballroom dancing.

And yep, that was us behind the watermelons.

That cruise was so much fun. It was our first but it definetly got us all hooked. We feel so comfortable on Princess that I doubt we ever try a different line. It is funny about you saying that that was the cruise that started you ballroom dancing. We haven't progressed that far yet but we have taken a few line dancing classes. By the way I think the CD on that cruise was Neil Chandler not Gavin. I do remember Jo Cox from the cruise directors staff. She was a blast. Have you sen her anywhere else on your travels?

That cruise was so much fun. It was our first but it definetly got us all hooked. We feel so comfortable on Princess that I doubt we ever try a different line. It is funny about you saying that that was the cruise that started you ballroom dancing. We haven't progressed that far yet but we have taken a few line dancing classes. By the way I think the CD on that cruise was Neil Chandler not Gavin. I do remember Jo Cox from the cruise directors staff. She was a blast. Have you sen her anywhere else on your travels?

Got the names mixed up, there is a Gavin at Princess as well. Have not run into Jo. We did sail on the Dawn last year and Jen was still there. I wonder if she went to Australia?

Got the names mixed up, there is a Gavin at Princess as well. Have not run into Jo. We did sail on the Dawn last year and Jen was still there. I wonder if she went to Australia?

She told us she was hoping to get on a ship sailing closer to England, so sh could spend more time with her Mum!

It was nice to relive the cruise through your review, Charles.

Your big smiles and cheerful greetings (almost everywhere we went :D) helped to make it extra special. It was a pleasure to meet you and Judy.

I have to admit though, that La Romana was one of our favourite places.

After snorkeling we danced merengue with the guide and the crew. As the catamaran was built for 120 but there were only 20 of us, we had a great dance floor (the unlimited rum drinks may have contributed to the fun). It was the playfulness of the crew that really made our day. I haven't had so many hugs and kisses from handsome young men in years! They even gave me a special gift to remember them by.

After the cruise we took the shuttle downtown. Not a pretty area. We should have taken a taxi to Casa de Campo to ogle the homes of baseball stars instead. What I did enjoy was the radiant smiles that broke out when I spoke to the locals in Spanish. As soon as they saw that I could communicate with them they were so unbelievably kind and helpful.

We left the island thinking that we would definitely have to return one day.

People always make the place!

Thanks for all the great reviews. My DH and I will be on the Grand 2/10 and can't wait!

ccrain. I have a quick question re: your room. We also are located in the aft of the ship in a mini on the Emerald deck. My question is did you notice much vibration and noise when arriving to port or when leaving? We just got off the CB and had a room in the same location and it was really quite bad.

Thanks and I'm glad you had such a wonderful trip.

Great review! We were on the Grand right before you and enjoyed all the same good food and great service you did. I would have to say it was one of our best for just about everything. We were only dissapointed about not getting to go to Grand Turk because of the weather because it was an island we have never been to. I guess we will have to put that on our to do list for next time. We will be elite after our next cruise to Alaska this summer and look forward to the free laundry. Maybe we can leave some clothes at home now and not have to tote all the luggage.

Thanks for all the great reviews. My DH and I will be on the Grand 2/10 and can't wait!

ccrain. I have a quick question re: your room. We also are located in the aft of the ship in a mini on the Emerald deck. My question is did you notice much vibration and noise when arriving to port or when leaving? We just got off the CB and had a room in the same location and it was really quite bad.

We were in E729 in January and didn't notice any vibration. Great room and a great location!! :D

There was thruster vibration, but no more than we've had in any of the aft quarter cabins. However, it was a very mild cruise with very little wind and I imagine the power and duration of the thruster use has a lot to do with vibrations.

Did you notice if they had a seafood buffet on the Lido deck. What night was it?

But in the past I've noticed the Grand classes without Cafe Caribe do not offer the extensive seafood buffets that the Super Grands with Cafe Caribe do.

Archived