Boycott dirty Celebrity ships

sammiedawg

sammiedawg,

Since the ship failed CDC inspection, there are obviously issues w/ the ship. However, maybe you're now looking for every little thing you can find wrong w/ the ship. Most of the problems you have just mentioned have nothing to do w/ the failed inspection. Worry less about what's wrong w/ the ship and try to enjoy yourself. Don't let the inspection report ruin your vacation.

Taking cheap shots at other cruise lines in blind defense of Celebrity is pretty lame -- the facts of the CDC inspections (whatever the ship or line) speak for themselves. One thing is for sure, the CDC isn't going to be biased like some of you here: a dirty ship is a dirty ship whether it's Carnival's or Celebrity's. We should be thankful that we have this kind of oversight.

If you haven't cruised on those other lines that you slander using an untrue reputation and silly classist stereotypes, then your comments have zero credibility. If I had believed some of the similarly unfounded comments I had read about Celebrity and its clientele before I took my first cruise with them, then I would have missed out on some great vacations: Celebrity cruisers aren't uniformly snooty and boring as they're stereotyped as by some -- just as Carnival cruisers aren't all partying raucous drunks or t/t.

CanTex relax in one way your right we have been on every cruise line but Disney and there are pros and cons for each and good times on all. Some lines are better then others for different reasons everyone has opinions that is what cruise critic is all about. I like to throw humor into life Ive been to close to death to many times as a Vietnam Vet , Police oficer and federal agent. Now im retired and all I do is cruise twice ayear and plan cruises the rest of the time . Hope you have a great cruise.

CanTex,

I beg to differ. When I was cruising w/ Carnival, I was a raucous drunk, always looking for a party. Now that I've been sailing w/ Celebrity, I'm as snooty as can be.

I'm so glad that I'm above those drunks... :D

CanTex. I agree with your comments about those that bash one line or another. After 15 cruises, 4 on Celebrity, 4 on RCI, 1 on HAL and 4 on Carnival, I've never had a problem. Carnival and RCI are so similar (demographics, entertainment, activities, itenerarys and even food (frankly I find Carnival's food in the DR to be a bit better than RCI)) it's always hard to choose a cruise. Although I've never encountered lousey guests on a cruise, I'm sure it can happen at times on any line/ship. I've always found that for some reason, cruisers meld together so well in spite of differing socio-economic differences. Are some cruises more active? Yes and some quiter and more relaxing. Do some line's lounges stay open later and more active? Sure. Do some lines attract a particular age group? Of course. No business can be all things to all people.

Unfortunately, it's probably possible for any ship to have a bad score at one certain time. I looked at CDC results for many of the ships and cruiselines and it looks as though many of them, even the Crystal Harmony and QE2, have had at least 1 failing score. Century has had very good scores with the exception of this one. I'd be more concerned if this were an ongoing pattern. Most of the problems with this score seemed to be related to refrigerator temps where milk was stored.

As far as the roaches, Yech, but they really don't eat much. People in certain parts of the world eat them on a regular basis.:eek:

I don't think it is fair to call the ships "dirty"... that actually wasn't the substance of the report....

There were a lot of violations in process - ie temperature violations in refrigerators (both hot and cold) spa (chlorine levels) and in food items not placed under sneeze guards, inadequate handwashing - that is all management - even a thorough cleaning will not immediately address these.....

That is a lot of violations, amazing actually, I wonder what happened to sink this ship from very good ratings to this.

Even having said all of that, I don't think that it is fair to be talking boycott or calling a ship "dirty"... the violations noted can all be resolved and probably are...

I started this thread. After 2 days of calling I received no satisfaction from Celebrity, we were told a full cancellation penalty would apply and they refused to transfer us to another RCCL/ Celebrity ship.

My concern heightened once I boarded, our cabin carpet is dirty and worn and there is an issue in the bathroom I don't want to mention on this board. I reported both within an hour, other than getting a phone message they were willing to discuss these issues no one has corrected anything.

The carpets are worn and dirty many areas around the ship, seams coming apart. The carpet is downright filthy on decks 11 and 12, particularly around the Hemisphere lounge.

Sunday they tore down the ceiling from a poolside cafe and I observed dirty filthy screens taken down. This area is still closed.

The phone in our cabin does not work.

Furniture is shopworn.

This morning the ship is billowing stinky foul smoke from the smokestacks, one man speculated engine problems as we anchor in Cayman. I asked guest relations and was told the smell was because "no breeze". I've been on 8 cruises and have never smelled anything like this. It permeates the outside decks, Islands cafe, the atrium and cabins. The guest relations man acknowleged the smell.

The food preparation presentation service has been excellent, however I do not have confidence in the sanitation after reading the report.

Someone posted a questionwere there really roaches, I have not seen any but per the report roaches all over the galleys and in the meat cutters.

Conclusion- Century has been totally neglected maintenace wise, they got busted by the CDC and if the hotel side got inspected they would rate no higher than a Holiday Inn for the physical plant.

So all you Celebrity loyalists will be in for a shock if you saw this ship.

I would say at this point you are looking everywhere possible onboard for trouble. You are probably going to put together a full report in hopes of a full refund or more. Frankly if you were that concerned about the cleanliness of the ship then you should have stayed home regardless of the penalties. You would have had a much better argument should you seek legal advise ... which you will probably have to do should you expect a refund after sailing on the ship for a week.

While failing the CDC inspection is not a good thing, it's not the end of the world either. As someone else mentioned earlier in this thread the CDC would have shut down the ship were the infractions that severe. Just about *every* cruise line in the world has had a ship fail the inspection at one point or another. Even the QE2 and higher-end ships have failed. They fix the problems and usually re-test with flying colors. Many European ships don't even have CDC inspections since they don't touch US soil. This doesn't mean they are dirty.

In general, if you look at the track record of Celebrity and most cruise lines, they do very well with these inspections. They are a lot more stringent than what a local restaurant would receive ... not to mention any hotel.

What is also interesting is that ships with perfect CDC scores have had huge breakouts of sick passengers with norovirus. I have not heard of passengers getting sick on CENTURY even with the failing score ... and obviously a perfect CDC score does not mean you won't come down with a norovirus onboard.

Instead of being on a mission to find fault with the ship, you should try to enjoy yourself. Good luck in your attempts for a refund, you're going to need it.

Ernie

ps - scraped furniture and worn carpets do NOT make a dirty ship. Any ship that has been in service for a few years is not going to be in brand new condition.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm on the Century sailing tomorrow. At the 11th hour I learned of the failed CDC inspection. I spend over 2 hours on the phone trying to get switched to another ship , either Celebrity or RCCl. They refused to make any changes and will charge me the full cancellation fee, full forfeit of my fees.

Inspection score 79, see the threat that was posted 12/1/04 on this foum. Anything below 86 is a failing grade.

Never ever ever again will I do business with this company.

Hey, let's boycott all companies that have ever failed a CDC inspection. That would leave us unable to cruise on...welll...any of them. Oops. Thanks for playing, here's a lovely copy of our home game!

Ocean Boy, I am thinking the OP is building a file for his phone call to one of those 800 numbers you were mentioning. I always love it when those guys get involved in anything. It definitely makes the world a better place for all of us.:rolleyes: I think I will go throw up now.

jc

PS I just love over-acting and over-reacting... don't you?:eek:

I wanted to place this in perspective. Todd English is the ship's much ballyhooed alternative restaurant on the Cunard line's Queen Mary 2. Todd English runs a restaurant in Charleston called Olives. Last year, he was shut down by the health department for failing sanitaion scores. He reopened quickly. The food is very good, by the way.

I cant for the live of me understand that people that are fortunate enough to cruise have so many complaints, i have been cruising since 1976 (the love boat). If you worry about cleaniless so much stay home.

The mercury was very clean when we took the mexico cruise from SF, in oct-3-2004. I feel fortunate that we can go to good hotels and go on cruises, however if you have an obsession, you should maybe see your dr,

christina from the netherlands

Archived