New Great Cruises Show 4-18-09 9 PM travel

I enjoy these shows, but I think they really set unrealistic expectations for first-time cruisers.

For example, as one of the families is entering their stateroom, they say it is 1586, a Grand Suite. Certainly not a typical stateroom. Yet, when they show the interior and the balcony, it is clearly one of the aft Royal Family Suites. They never mention that this is an upgraded accommodation and is not typical of the type of room a first time cruiser is likely to book. They even voice over "I don't think anyone would be disappointed in the size of the staterooms".

On each of the excursions, they have a private guide and they appear to be the only folks on the excursion. Somehow, at Stingray City, they managed to be the ONLY people at the sandbar!

Nothing wrong with that from an infomercial standpoint, but from the perspective of a show that purports to show a typical cruise newbie experience, it's kind of deceptive, dontcha think?

I thought it was good. Better idea to show a few families especially on their first cruise to get that perspective. It seemed better not having a host even though I do like Samantha Brown.

I agree (and with poster above) I liked this Why not the Caribbean? much better. As much I as like SB, the show with the families are more realistic. They did excursions with lots of others, unlike Samantha who gets private tours.

Either way, I love watching most any show about cruising! It gets me wanting to goooooooo! LOL

I enjoy these shows, but I think they really set unrealistic expectations for first-time cruisers.

For example, as one of the families is entering their stateroom, they say it is 1586, a Grand Suite. Certainly not a typical stateroom. Yet, when they show the interior and the balcony, it is clearly one of the aft Royal Family Suites. They never mention that this is an upgraded accommodation and is not typical of the type of room a first time cruiser is likely to book. They even voice over "I don't think anyone would be disappointed in the size of the staterooms".

On each of the excursions, they have a private guide and they appear to be the only folks on the excursion. Somehow, at Stingray City, they managed to be the ONLY people at the sandbar!

Nothing wrong with that from an infomercial standpoint, but from the perspective of a show that purports to show a typical cruise newbie experience, it's kind of deceptive, dontcha think?

And they were the only ones at the pool bar also.

I do agree. They should make a updated cruising show similar to this but cruising on a budget and show what "average" cruisers staterooms look like and what kind of amenities they get, what basic shore excursions are available and what the excursions really look like.

I watched the Samantha Brown Freedom show after this show and it showed only her on the flowrider at one time. I've seen videos from family members, and they put a divider in the middle to let two people go at once, which I think is great, since its popular. But it should be shown that way on tv.

Are they actors? Its certainly not done at the pier or as they board.

I doubt they had those GS booked!

Did they win a contest or just lucky to have their names pulled out of a hat?

I thought both shows were OK, but huge infomercials.

I laughed every time I saw the tour guide holding the RC sign up for TV viewing the whole time while giving her talk on where they were.

I wish they would have one with a young couple -- no kids. DH and I will HAPPILY volunteer for "Why Not? The Mexican Rivera" (or they can tape us on "Why Not? Northern Europe" next month).

It would be interesting to have a more basic type program explaining a value cruise and how to accomplish it. Someone should sponsor this type of endervor: any takers?????

As far as noting that this will cost more or this was not free as it appreared to you ... BTW, none of it appreared that way to me .... Can you imagine having to watch a 5 minute disclaimer at the start of the show. It would be sort of like reading the first part of the instruction manual to a new appliance, but instead of "don't take a bath with the appliance while it's plugged into an electrical outlet," or "do not try to digest this appliance." You would have "Don't expect that all beverages will be free." etc. :rolleyes:;)

The show(s) were just fine. I really didn't read into them too much and just sat back and wished I was there. I even liked the Med one. DW and DS both thought that the Med would be a nice place to go.

Now, I'm going back to my happy place.:D

My wife and I noticed that they never were shown using a Sea Pass, giving the impression that everything on-board the ship was free.

When they went to the pool bar and the hubby said something to the wife about getting a drink, they each had their sea pass cards in their hands, actually. Whether or not they USED them, I don't know.

It was excruciating waiting for them to just get on the ship in the Med one.

The suite represented as a regular cabin was absurd. All of there shore excursions were private - one on one. We all do that ... don't we?

It was a borderline dishonest informercial. It would have been more believable if Billy Mays was shouting the narration ;)

It was excruciating waiting for them to just get on the ship in the Med one.

The suite represented as a regular cabin was absurd. All of there shore excursions were private - one on one. We all do that ... don't we?

It was a borderline dishonest informercial. It would have been more believable if Billy Mays was shouting the narration ;)

Billy can sell anything.

I watched because I was on NV when they filmed it! Jan 24th cruise...looked for myself in the background but didn't see me. Got close those, when they showed them on formal night in the Dining Room, there was a brief shot over the rail to the main floor. I was at the Captains Table but the film crew only got the upper portion of the table...I was at the bottom portion.

We were on that cruise also, and while we didn't make it on film, our MDR table did about 3/4 through the show, as one of the panoramic shots was taken from the end of it. It's a four-top that's only set for two, and fills the bottom half of the shot, between the camera and the railing on the middle deck. Not much to get excited about, but better than nothing ...

We were also on this sailing and my DD and I were in it on Coco Cay!! Also sailed with other friends and saw us all watching the sexy legs contest! It was pretty neat to make it on the Travel Channel:D

The Travel Channel had an add for specific families to apply.

For those of you who noticed the families not using the sea pass cards..........your good;) The cruise was for the bubble also!!

We chatted with the film crew on Coco Cay and they thought NOS was the most beautiful ship they had ever been on!!

I agree................100%

We also enjoyed the show very much!!

I just found this thread, and missed the shows. Anyone know if they'll be airing again anytime soon? (or how to view the show online?) I checked on the travel channel website, but didn't find much there except a breif description of the show.

The Partridge family " we are glad our kids can experience history". Is that why you stayed on-board to play basketball instead of going to Cannes, France?

I checked on travel channel. They had blogs from the family and the girlfriends.

The family went to both Cannes and got off in Civitavecchia (Rome) --although neither made the the final cut:

Later in the afternoon, we ventured off the ship to the infamous Cannes. As we meandered through the ancient streets admiring all the architecture of the time period, we managed to get some shopping in before heading back to the ship.- Grandma Cox

For our tour we hopped on a bus through Civitavecchia and the surrounding countryside to Odescalchi castle. I loved the castle. It was exactly what one would picture. It all looked like a movie set. The arched brick ceilings, holders for torches lining the pathways, oversized heavy wooden furniture and wrought iron everywhere. All the structural elements were original. One of the interior ceilings hadn't yet been restored and we could see the paint as it has been since 1491! Yet again we were able to feel like we were walking into that time period in history. I was grateful Royal Caribbean had the option of this tour. I would never have thought to seek it out. - Diamelen

Great Cruises Radiance of the Seas in Alaska is on April 23 at 7-8 PM. No listing for the caribbean one being replayed for the next week atleast. There is usually one day a month I notice when they play several of them in a row.

Archived