Don't understand

Tiffany's mom

I noticed that the cruise we are leaving on next week is also sold out. Only 5 cabins left. 3 mins - 1 balcony and 1 inside. So I called Princess and asked if they were interested in offering a move-over to a cruise that is a 1/3 emtpy. The answer was no.

A lot of people will no be going that want to go on this cruise. As a stock holder I do not understand the marketing behind this. I idea what be to sell every cabin I could. I would like to company make more so I stock would go up in value and I can regain what I paid for it.

It's their lost. We will have the same good time on either cruise.

I noticed that the cruise we are leaving on next week is also sold out. Only 5 cabins left. 3 mins - 1 balcony and 1 inside. So I called Princess and asked if they were interested in offering a move-over to a cruise that is a 1/3 emtpy. The answer was no.

A lot of people will no be going that want to go on this cruise. As a stock holder I do not understand the marketing behind this. I idea what be to sell every cabin I could. I would like to company make more so I stock would go up in value and I can regain what I paid for it.

It's their lost. We will have the same good time on either cruise.

If there are still cabins available, then the cruise is not sold out. I am sure Princess has already assigned guarantees, which means they are not needing any volunteers to move to a different date.

This is done only when they have more passengers then cabins to assign.

I don't quite understand the highlighted portion above, if there are available staterooms, why would that keep others from booking this cruise last minute?

No it is not completely sold out but there is 12 classes of cabins waitlisted. To me that means there are still customers that are waiting for cabins.

Waitlisted only means that if you are interested in that category, there are none available, but you can be put on a waitlist (it does not necessairly mean there are poeple on the waitlist). Waitlist categories happen on lots of cruises. As long as there are staterooms left unsold, then the cruise is not considered sold out by Princess. Sorry!

Exactly. It's the way they do business. I think they have found over the years that it is to their advantage to upgrade newbies to higher cabins in hopes of hooking them on the Princess product. Then, the cabins that are left are usually the less expensive ones and are easy to sell.

It's obviously working. This past January, they had exceeded their all-time sales records.

They exceeded their all time sales record because of the lowest sales prices anyone had ever seen. On top of a all ready great prices. We saved another $1200.

If their had people on a waitlist those customers have put down a deposit waiting for a cabin. I was offering my great balcony cabin for one on a cruise that the minis are now selling for less than I paid for this cruise.

If their had people on a waitlist those customers have put down a deposit waiting for a cabin. I was offering my great balcony cabin for one on a cruise that the minis are now selling for less than I paid for this cruise.

This defeats the purpose of the moveover, you would have everyone and their brother calling and offering their cabins.

Leave the moveovers to the experts.

They exceeded their all time sales record because of the lowest sales prices anyone had ever seen. On top of a all ready great prices. We saved another $1200.

Again, sorry they wouldn't move you to another sailing, but they only do this on 'overbooked' cruises. Evidentally yours is not 'overbooked'.

It sounds like you might be a bit miffed because of a price reduction in mini suites you were not able to take advantage of? My guess, a flash promotion after final payment date, for new bookings only, dropped the mini suite prices below what you paid for a balcony? Maybe???? If so, they do this to fill unsold staterooms all of the time.

Enjoy your cruise!

I was offering my great balcony cabin for one on a cruise that the minis are now selling for less than I paid for this cruise.
I don't understand your logic that the ship selling out was bad marketing. IMHO, that's good marketing because the ship was essentially sold out. And, I don't understand why you're miffed at Princess because you wanted to cruise on a different date for a lower price? Why didn't you just cancel and book the cruise that you wanted?

Someone on one of the Financial channels said Carnival was a good purchase if looking for something to hold for 20 years.??? 20 years?

From what I have seen the last few years, most of these stocks are not that great - even excluding present slump. You do get the OBC but a year ago I calculated you would have had to sail with RCI three times a year, every year just to break even. Did not do one for Carnival so could be wrong.

Either way, I would bet they have a pretty good idea of how to run their business day in and day out.

Someone on one of the Financial channels said Carnival was a good purchase if looking for something to hold for 20 years.??? 20 years?

From what I have seen the last few years, most of these stocks are not that great - even excluding present slump. You do get the OBC but a year ago I calculated you would have had to sail with RCI three times a year, every year just to break even. Did not do one for Carnival so could be wrong.

Either way, I would bet they have a pretty good idea of how to run their business day in and day out.

I've been an idiot for years and never bought CCL stock so I could get the OBC. However, I did so a couple of weeks ago and paid less than $2,400 for 100 shares. I calculate that over the next 12 months, I'll get $850 of OBC which is over a 35% ROI; not bad even when you consider that the stock is rising and should continue to do so. I don't have to make all my money back; it's an investment and if I cruise as much over the next 3 years or so, I won't have lost a dime and that's taking into consideration that the stock tanks and I lose all my money.

I've been an idiot for years and never bought CCL stock so I could get the OBC. However, I did so a couple of weeks ago and paid less than $2,400 for 100 shares. I calculate that over the next 12 months, I'll get $850 of OBC which is over a 35% ROI; not bad even when you consider that the stock is rising and should continue to do so. I don't have to make all my money back; it's an investment and if I cruise as much over the next 3 years or so, I won't have lost a dime and that's taking into consideration that the stock tanks and I lose all my money.

I agree that it's a win-win proposition. I'm kicking myself for not buying it a few months ago when it was hovering around $15 a share -- $24 a share is just too rich for this grad student's pocket right now. But one day, when I get a real job, that's my first purchase!

Archived