Rome on Sundays

Our Princess cruise takes us to Rome on a Sunday.

Princess are offering a tour of the Vatican although the Vatican web site says it is closed to tourists on Sunday’s.

A conflicting scenario. :confused:

Is the Vatican open for organised groups ?

Is the Princess information inaccurate?

Anyone have any experience of Rome on Sunday?

Help please.

We also were in Rome several years ago on a Sunday and yes the Vatican is closed on Sundays. Holland American also "pre-sold" us a tour of the Vatican. However, when we boarded the ship there was a note in our cabin about the Vatican being closed and we had to choose a different tour. Rome is a long way from where the ships dock so I would recommend a cruise line tour. We took a tour of the caticombs and the forum. I had seen the Vatican before but my Mom hadn't and she was really dissapointed.

Hi Loritd

Thanks for that.

We are in a similar position. I visited the Vatican a few years back but the DW hasn’t and she was looking forward to doing so.

Hey ho, well I guess it’s an excuse for a return visit.

The catacombs sound interesting and I particularly want to visit the Pantheon.

Thanks for your info.

We were there in October and used a private tour company, Rome In Limo, and I can't say enough about how great they were. We got on the Roll Call thread for our cruise and hooked up with some other people on our cruise which cut the cost down. You don't have to worry about not getting back to the ship since they have plenty vehicles and now they have something called a cell phone I think it is. LOL. But it was a great tour and you can check on their website about any questions you have. I probably sound like an employee for them but I'm in upstate NY so I guess I'm not. Any questions about them you can e-mail me at whatsnowpaul at Yahoo dot com.

if you look at the vatican website they are closed on sundays except the last sun of the month i believe. we were there the last sun of aug last year and addmission is free. because of this it was PACKED!! the ship may have it on their shore excursions as listed, but from experience it may not be available on that particular sailing! the ship will not offer it on the free sunday..princess did not. we booked a private guide and asked that he be at the dock early(hour drive) but he wasnt and when we got there the line was3 blocks long. we did not get in..a real disappointment! friends used rome in limo and got picked up real early and got in. it was packed though. good luck!

When we used Romeinlimo the driver told us he was taking us to the Vatican in the afternoon because the biggest crowds are there in the morning. Everybody wants to get there early. SO we did it later in the day. Went very smooth. I would imagine on free days it probably doesn't make much of a difference but who knows.

Archived